• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

AshleeKel said:
It's the ultimate opening day. Every opening day you've dreamed of rolled into one.

Except it's not because I can't go :'(

Wonder how the opening day will pan out. Will there be ERT at all, given the fact that most people will inevitably use it to queue up outside X-Sector? Or will the park simply open at 10am and thus the big rush towards it?

I understand why they are opening it on a Thursday. However I am totally gutted, got my final uni exam the next day. After following this ride from start until now, I've been looking forward to the opening day for so long. Call me selfish but hey, it's annoying. I'll just treat the Saturday as an opening day, get there early and whatnot. And I'll be avoiding this forum and social media for 48 hours!

And just to be a little bit more negative, cus that's how I felt earlier, they've clearly had yet more delays. It was pretty obvious that they were targeting the 18th of this month. After seeing the site today there was no way it was ever going to be ready for next Saturday though. It is such a shame that this project has been plagued by delays really. Still, at least it is going to open!

In better news, I have a lovely photo update coming later this evening!

:)

To those who are moaning about the date because they can't be there untill a few days later... SO WHAT? After waiting all this time, will two more days wait for the weekend really make any difference?

Personally, I am quite happy to leave it a few months to let the inevitable fails get solved, before I trek hundreds of miles to ride it. No doubt there will be some theming still unfinished on the 23rd. I won't be rushing... but then I've never been fapping over this anyway.

Let's all forget it's two months late because apparently opening on a Thursday is a tactical masterstroke worthy of a WW2 general.

It could be much worse, I don't even know if I'm going this season. So for all you people with MAP's and within easy driving distance, I hate you.

SOMEONE'S GOING TO RIDE IT BEFORE ME! OH NO THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER!!1!

It would have been nice to go to opening day, but it's hardly going to make a difference, is it? It's not worth getting upset about.

Although what's even worse is getting upset over someone using hyperbole on the internet. I'm pretty sure no one here is actually going to go and shoot the management over this. It's called rhetoric.

Chill out everyone.

People should probably relax a little. It's not like it's the opening day of the biggest ride at Alton Towers in over a decade or anything ;)

Anyway, I'm missing the posts about fences and temporary lights with all this opening day malarkey taking over :twirly:

It might not seem like a big deal to some but the opening day is the opening day. Even though there will be nothing special happening it is an exciting day with a real buzz. For me, missing it is gutting. You can have a go at me for moaning, I really don't care, enough people on here have moaned about things I don't think should be moaned about!

Also I don't think it's a case of two days making more difference. It's not that I want to be the first to ride it, it's just opening days are really good fun! That's why I'll be treating the Saturday as an opening day!

Annoyed I can't make it,as its a school day,but doubt my tight dad would let us anyway! Really happy they've finally announced a date though!

Rob said:
It might not seem like a big deal to some but the opening day is the opening day. Even though there will be nothing special happening it is an exciting day with a real buzz. For me, missing it is gutting. You can have a go at me for moaning, I really don't care, enough people on here have moaned about things I don't think should be moaned about!

Also I don't think it's a case of two days making more difference. It's not that I want to be the first to ride it, it's just opening days are really good fun! That's why I'll be treating the Saturday as an opening day!

This is how I feel, this was going to be my first ever opening day and I was really looking forward to it, just to have the experience. I am honestly gutted, but there's nothing I can do about it, except avoid the internet for 4 days (I can't go until the Sunday) and think myself lucky that I can go at all. Doesn't mean I'm not annoyed about it though. :twirly:

To be honest though, considering AT's recent track record, opening day will probably be horribly plagued by problems. And there's the massive queues. And the half-finished theming.

To be honest, you all might as well not bother. Don't worry though, I'll test it first to see if it's OK.

Last night I moaned they didn't have a date.

Today they have a date.

So, with that in mind,

It's pathetic they haven't done a testing POV yet.

Worth a try, right? ;)

Received a possible hint towards the game today, Spectrum Signs were making some black and yellow targets today and Smiler signs. Also, they have previously done work for AT and Thorpe before so pretty sure its legit.

Wish I'd noticed sooner, maybe could've seen more theme work a while ago.....maybe for their next project ;)

I agree people should relax about not getting to ride it on opening day, it's still going to be there a couple of days, weeks or months later!

At least we finally have a date, booking my first visit in 4 years for the first week of June has worked out well.*

*Please don't break in the first week.

I'm overjoyed with the opening date. I'm going on the 23rd for what is likely to be my only visit this season and I was convinced I was going to miss it by a week.

Oh look at all of the 'moaning at the moaners' going on in this topic......I can't believe i'm not a part of it!

Heck, I wasn't expecting the ride to open until June (which it still might) so the 23rd of this month doesn't seem bad. As far as i'm concerned as soon as the first target opening date is missed it doesn't matter how late it is.....it's still late.

So now we know when this thing is going to open, let's see how things are progressing on the site! Enjoy!

Firstly, a look at some of the grinding work that has been taking place:
P1150968_zps3df6fd20.jpg

P1150976_zps1f0438e3.jpg

I'm sure these bits of track will be painted black:
P1150970_zps3e4c85f0.jpg

A bridge/walkway was being constructed, not sure what for though:
P1150972_zps1220f30d.jpg

Steps which I imagine will lead down to the entrance:
P1150973_zps44378f2b.jpg

Entrances to the indoor queue, with painting just inside one of the doors:
P1150974_zpsda53ffe8.jpg

From a different angle:
P1150984_zps9bdce12d.jpg

More doorways with yellow entrances:
P1160001_zps94c47958.jpg

I hope this area get a lot of attention in terms of landscaping before opening day as it currently looks a real mess:
P1150977_zps65010a9a.jpg

The on-ride photo camera:
P1150978_zps0a3d819c.jpg

And again:
P1160010_zps12798ab0.jpg

But what is this? Turns out those other cameras are a second ORP camera and flash:
P1160011_zpsa0a472ff.jpg

This leaves the question, what will this one turn out to be?
P1160014_zps7411635d.jpg

There seemed to be yellow boards inside of the fences off area of the ride, I assume these are going to be put onto the inside of the fencing:
P1150983_zpsd78888a0.jpg

The fence is sticking out more than usual here:
P1150985_zps27c6f0ab.jpg

Digging work at the top of the steps:
P1150988_zps014653dd.jpg

You can see where the path leading down will go as well here:
P1150991_zps419ff993.jpg

A look at where said path will lead:
P1160016_zpsb229c110.jpg

At last, I managed to get some clear photos of a completed Marmaliser foot:
P1150990_zps8cfcc017.jpg

P1160017_zps822a3946.jpg

Lots more paving has been put down, and the games stall is looking brilliant:
P1150992_zpsbb56c2de.jpg

I really do like it:
P1150994_zps88adcdcf.jpg

P1160018_zps189223a2.jpg

The back wall has now been added to also:
P1150996_zps67505142.jpg

The indoor section now looks fully enclosed:
P1150993_zpsda024243.jpg

I kind of like how they've had to 'patch' it up so there aren't gaps where the supports go through the walls:
P1160007_zps7a7a7cb4.jpg

P1160015_zps32ddb133.jpg

A look at the station and shop:
P1150998_zps86abc3f0.jpg

A view showing The Smiler, the themed games stall and Oblivion:
P1150999_zps69547605.jpg

This looked very different 12 months ago:
P1160002_zpsaa71b812.jpg

Usual overview from Blivvy's merge point:
P1160003_zps2677878d.jpg

A camera being added, looking at the final brake run:
P1160009_zps6a17e13e.jpg

Here it is:
P1160046_zpsacc6a1dd.jpg

A little look inside the station:
P1160012_zps62b7fdfc.jpg

I'd imagine this will be near the start of the queue:
P1160021_zps251ce641.jpg

The queue heads over towards where the shop is:
P1160022_zps81f3efc8.jpg

More queue:
P1160043_zps21111b64.jpg

Yay, someone with a jet wash:
P1160023_zpsf8077523.jpg

This was being worked on/attached, possible a sensor:
P1160025_zps46fe7f99.jpg

The completed bridge:
P1160034_zpse27cfe9c.jpg

A look at some of the rock work that will be on the edges of the paths:
P1160036_zps8ff4ea9f.jpg

Another look at the paving work:
P1160039_zpscb813f49.jpg

A couple of views of the Marmaliser:
P1160037_zps185ab65e.jpg

P1160038_zpsb6291029.jpg

A sneaky look inside of the building before the first lift:
P1160040_zpsd567bda1.jpg

P1160041_zps2b24fd41.jpg

This arrived at the end of the day:
P1160044_zps13d014cf.jpg

Pouring concrete at the top of the steps:
P1160045_zpsf9f8b739.jpg

Finally, I have had a few requests that I go and take a few more photos looking at The Smiler from outside of the park, like I did when the park was closed. I thought now was a good time to do it as the track is complete along with most of the potentially visible theming.

There it is in the distance:
P1160054_zpse772ed49.jpg

A close up, you can see a lot of the track:
P1160053_zps26b29dae.jpg

The Smiler next to Oblivion:
P1160050_zpsf1e5d4a9.jpg

I had hoped that I might see it testing as I was up there until about 6:30pm but it wasn't to be. A crane also appeared to arrive at the construction site, I didn't get any photos as it has started to rain and the visibility had worsened significantly. I assume they must have had some relatively heavy things to lift.

I hope you enjoyed! As usual, all photos were taken from areas of the park (and for those outside the park, on public footpaths) fully accessible to the public. Please do not replicate my photos without permission. TowersStreet may use them if they wish.

Rob, I don't know what you're going to do with yourself when you finish uni in a few weeks and when The Smiler finally opens! :p

In all seriousness, it's great to see that things are still ongoing, and it's looking set to open on time this time. Hopefully. :p

Well done, Rob - great photo's as ever! Really have appreciated these over the months.

Looking forward to riding this on the 25th. I, like you, will be keeping no eye on the forums or Facebook for 48 hours if I can help it! Gutted to be missing the official opening after all this time, but I look forward to getting on anyway.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.