• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
b2311e said:
Jonathan said:
Rob said:
You may remember from one of my previous updates that I noticed a yellow sticker on a support towards the top of the site, which I thought would create something similar to the 'SW7' lettering. Well I have just seen this photo on Towers2Go's Facebook page:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 5001_n.jpg

:)
My initial reaction when seeing that was 'dodgy Photoshop'. :/

Must be - Otherwise 99% of the time, it wouldn't be readable (height/angle etc)

I think that would be the point - a subtle message that you only see at one specific point within the queue line. I like these kinds of things.
Still think those concrete supporting walls should have been finished somehow though.

Well, for a couple of minor H&S issues, it sure has gone quiet on The Smiler front...

Tumbleweed_rolling.jpg

TheMan said:
it sure has gone quiet on The Smiler front...

That's because even the most die hard Towers fanboys have given up and just don't care any more. ;)

Well there's not more to say for the next few days: Towers are no longer giving daily updates on the ride's opening and so we just have to wait with the indefinite closure until it's ready.

Can't be long now :)

I'm more excited about all the ride whoring I can do this week than this opening now. Really have lost all my excitement and drive for this project.

From what I've heard the ride has been testing at full capacity at night. With that and all the little jobs being done daily it seems like a matter of time before it opens!

I hope they announce the opening a day or two before though, so some hype can be made.

I just find it really frustrating not knowing when at all it's going to open. Also we don't have a clue how much of what work is left to be done. Some seem sure it will open this week, others think it won't be until way into June. I'd say one of the reasons for not knowing is probably because Towers don't know either. I'd imagine they do have a target date in their minds, but it's not something that they are prepared to reveal at all. Then when you don't know when you're going to ride the thing, you do lose all excitement for it. There is currently nothing to be excited for.

I really wouldn't be surprised to see some form on unannounced soft opening now though.

Mikey:SubTerra said:
Joseph said:
I'm going on the third. Might be the first ever TST rider of The Smiler.

Im going on the 6th - I really hope it's open! I'm getting worried now :S

If it isn't open by then, there are major problems.

I really don't imagine that you need to be worried.

The ride is ready to go. I am unsure what the hold up is now, but it'll be open very soon indeed.

Do you think we could see a soft opening tomorrow considering there are reports that mesh placement has finished and that the mesh is now being painted.

Well, they have a small section of the queueline to finish, as well as some small details around the site. I think that's pretty much it then!

So, if the testing is complete (which it must be close to now due to the ride being tested at full capacity over night, if what James said is true) then the ride should be open by the latter half of this week.

A Thursday or Friday main opening anyone?

TheMan said:
Mikey:SubTerra said:
Joseph said:
I'm going on the third. Might be the first ever TST rider of The Smiler.

Im going on the 6th - I really hope it's open! I'm getting worried now :S

If it isn't open by then, there are major problems.

I really don't imagine that you need to be worried.

My friend keeps telling me not to worry! I'll feel much better when it's actually open! :twirly:

If the mesh has been finished (I've not heard this myself, where did you see this?) then I don't think there is anything else to do really apart from maybe a small amount of fencing in various place, and that should have been done at the same time as the meshing really. Hopefully it might open either tomorrow or Thursday.

I have just seen that TT members who are on park are indeed reporting that the mesh is being painted in a "greyish colour". However someone also claims to have spoken to a construction worker who has said it won't be open tomorrow. I guess one way said worker could know is if they've been told that they will be in for more work tomorrow.

So maybe Thursday or Friday?

On Saturday the ride looked about finished, with only bits of the mesh to add. The only other bits I could see is maybe netting being added near the toilet block and other parts of the site?

I think either Thursday or Friday depending if they hit any more problems! Wherever or not they make a big announcement or not I don't have a clue!

Rob said:
I have just seen that TT members who are on park are indeed reporting that the mesh is being painted in a "greyish colour". However someone also claims to have spoken to a construction worker who has said it won't be open tomorrow. I guess one way said worker could know is if they've been told that they will be in for more work tomorrow.

So maybe Thursday or Friday?

It'll be Thursday or Friday. It definitely won't open tomorrow.

I am actually slightly confused why it's not actually yet open, as the ride is ready. All I can assume is that they want to make sure, and this is a positive thing, that they have all 5 trains ready to use on opening, so that the queue isn't as hideous as it would have been had it opened last week.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.