• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

... And then they got the track piece to fit.

I really don't understand the criticism. The track supports have not been concreted in for this exact eventuality. I think it's unreasonable if not unrealistic to think such a twisted, complex coaster can be built without such adjustments being made. The odd millimetre out there, centimetre here will add up.

To me this shows there is a very professional, experienced team working on the ride as they have allowed for flexibility when needed.

It fits, that means it will be fine.

Gerstlauer have more knowledge and experience of building rollercoasters than anyone on here so I think it's fair to assume that they know what they are doing...

Wilsy said:

Gerstlauer have more knowledge and experience of building rollercoasters than anyone on here so I think it's fair to assume that they know what they are doing...

Thank god somebody said it before I did!

Ultimately, all we're looking at here is Gerst making some changes to the initial position of one of two supports. The thing is designed to fit together perfectly. As in perfectly, with no room for error. Therefore when this 'movement etc.' occurs, it's movement to the position the track should have been in.

Not a bodge. An adjustment, hence why no concreting in has occurred.

This kind of thing probably happens all the time with coaster construction!

What people seem to be forgetting is its usually closed season when these rides are being constructed, so when mishaps occur we would never see them and be none the wiser.

Because we can see the construction happening on a daily basis it seems like the process is being very heavily scrutinized.

Re: Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Wilsy said:

Don't be silly, us nerds on the internet are far more qualified then those professionals!

Looks like things have progress quite nicely over the weekend. I don't see it as too much of a problem that they couldn't quite get a piece of track to fit. It's not ideal but I'm sure it's something that does happen all the time. Footers and supports need to be in exactly the right place for it all to fit and that probably isn't always the easiest thing to do. As has been pointed out construction like this normally takes place over the closes season so we don't tend to see any potential problems.

I fully expect track to be completed in the next few days now. I'll be disappointed if it's not. Then hopefully they can start testing ASAP.

:)

Hmmmmmmm, I must admit I am a little worried. I don't know who said it but doesn't it have to do at least 200 hours of testing? So assuming that we are ready for testing by Saturday, and 10 hours of testing is done a day (seems a fair number) then testing ends on the 17th. I may be wrong but that seems a little pressed for time, and there is no room for error, but because of that I cant see it opening on the 18th, be easier to open it on the 25th and allow some time for anything that may come up in testing.

I don't know how much testing is required, but each train will require a set number of hours. Testing will be a long process. They need to make sure everything is working properly and safely and then iron out any bugs that are found. They'll be different stages of testing as well. They'll probably start with just one train but will get to a point where they run the ride on maximum capacity.

Rob said:
They'll probably start with just one train but will get to a point where they run the ride on maximum capacity.
... And then ruin that capacity with over the top H&S rules. ;)

DiogoJ42 said:
Rob said:
They'll probably start with just one train but will get to a point where they run the ride on maximum capacity.
... And then ruin that capacity with over the top H&S rules. ;)

Hahahaha!!

As for the track, everyone knows I am quick to critique, though I agree with one poster in that is because I CARE about the place. Nothing wrong with that at all, not remotely so. It is a positive thing.

We have as a collective also clearly contributed to improvements, which is exactly as it should be also, companies pay a fortune for knowledgeable or passionate focus groups, to get their opinions good or bad, Towers get the best of the best here for free in those terms - let's not forget, this is far from a one way street here!! If you have any experience in business in these terms, you'll know how valuable this feedback can be.

However lol - in this case with the track, in may have escaped attention that this is a multi-looping, awkward terrain hugging, delayed, problematic monster of a coaster and it will be hard to find the offending support structure that is actually created the discrepancy. It would have always taken this time, and I said a fair few pages back now, the last few pieces will be very, very awkward.

You have temperature changes, which will expand and contract the steel itself, those fluctuations will be well known by musicians - carrying something from a warm to a cold room can throw stringed instruments hugely out of tune - when you add in the different ground levels and the settling that will be inevitable, especially with heavy machinery moving around site etc, you are simply going to expect these issues.

They can't be avoided on a site this complex. It will be a slow process of working out where to adjust, and then visiting those areas and sorting it out.

I admit I still chuckle at the "EDIT: It doesn't fit" post - but so long as they adjust the appropriate areas, they should be fine. It seems a perfectly natural process to me.

I am not saying by the way, the building team looks the best I have ever seen, some things still don't quite add up to me with that but when you consider the size and placement of a track, a foot out BEFORE adjustments are made, doesn't seem exactly extreme does it?

I am rooting for them now!! Come on lads!! May 18th, let's get it done!!!! :)

I might not be a roller-coaster engineer but it seems to make more sense to build the track in one direction, and then when you meet up with the other end, have that in a straight section of track.

Hopefully they will have it finished (track) and can start sending some trains around this weekend.

I have come to realise with Merlin having parks in Europe and America, there is little chance of Merlin wanting to spend money to make Alton Towers the best park in Europe, let alone the world. I think the staff at Alton Towers still want to achieve this, but unless Merlin HQ Staff decide to have similar ambitions, and increase the parks budget, I think we shall have to settle with them aiming for the best park in Britain.

Iam

This has just been posted by Theme Park Worldwide:

69005_648600135165952_394442414_n.jpg

The second inverted drop is now complete and the first lift is progressing nicely. Shouldn't take too much longer to finish the track now. Then they need to add the catwalks to the first lift.

If the first lift has magnetic anti rollbacks, maybe it won't have a catwalk? it could be designed to roll back in a controlled manner like the vertical lift?

There seem to be bits underneath the track that look like they will support a catwalk which is why I assumed it would have one. Not sure what else they would be for.

DiogoJ42 said:
If the first lift has magnetic anti rollbacks, maybe it won't have a catwalk? it could be designed to roll back in a controlled manner like the vertical lift?

They'd probably still need a catwalk for maintenance checks and so forth?

My only concern is that whilst I may not be an engineer, there must be some element of CAD involved in the design and manufacturing process to ensure the ends do all meet. Whilst there will be margin for error, the nore accurate the design and development is, the more precise the construction will be.

With this, it seems that it may have been overlooked somewhat, especially given the rumours of the earth being light soil and not bedrock - makes you think there hasn't been a comprehensive survey of the site nor of the margins of error that this different land can throw up. With the footers left unsecured until completion it should have been much easier for the final piece to slot in than it appeared to be

Steel doesn't behave as static as a CAD. It does bend, shrink and expand on its own when in different heat and weather conditions.

EuroSatch said:
there must be some element of CAD involved in the design

There certainly is.

EuroSatch said:
makes you think there hasn't been a comprehensive survey of the site nor of the margins of error that this different land can throw up.

Considering how long it took for the land to be ready, I'm pretty sure this was considered and implemented.

EuroSatch said:
With the footers left unsecured until completion it should have been much easier for the final piece to slot in than it appeared to be

Yes, this is a reason why they were able to do it. The reason why it took quite a while is that the support must be stable before any attempt to move it is achieved.

The problem with construction, there is always error, but the engineers on site will certainly have planned for it, and would know how to solve it. I'm almost certain that these engineers will have encountered a similar problem in the past as well. Even in coasters when supports can't be moved, these problems are still resolved quite easily.

Updated map for you all (Correct as of 18:45PM on 22nd April 2013):

(Click here for enlarged image)

As you can see, the only red section left is just the last half of the first lift hill.

I prescribe 4 series of Grand Designs for all those with construction concerns.

That should calm your nerves ;D

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.