The Smiler - General Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott, 11th Jun 2013.

1. Ian

Ian TS Site Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Monster, Walygator
    The problem with jet washing track is it can make things worse depending on the quality of the finish and especially if it’s the first do after the paint has been applied a while. When Air, as it then was, had a pressure washer taken to parts of it the paint actually started to come away.

Oblivion’s track is fine. Not as pristine as it looked after the repaint, but it’s a million times better than it’s anaemia phase around 2010! The Smiler has looked naff since it reopened from its SBNO period. The rust really started the streak then while it all stood without running.

The whole ride is high maintenance really. Bare, frequently soaking wet concrete and black paint are a match made in hell.

2. Mikw

Mikw TowersStreet Member

I did it twice yesterday, luckily got the front row both times and left hand seat - which is my favorite.

First ride i clobbered my shoulder, second ride was smooth as silk, apart from the jolt on inversion 2 and the exit of the cobra roll, no worse than my headbanging ride on Nemesis earlier.

It seems to depend on the train you get, the height of the rider and other things - always love the ride though, makes me smiler and laugh like an idiot.

3. Tommy85

Tommy85 TowersStreet Member

It’s funny, I have never had a particularly rough ride on the Smiler b4. Always used to think people were just being overly sensitive. ‘A little banging on such an intense coaster is to be expected,’ I thought. Well I went on a few weeks ago and it was rough as hell! I must of just fluked the smooth trains over and over until that ride?

Mikw, OilyWater, skyscraper and 2 others like this.
  4. skyscraper

skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Does anyone know if the single rider queue is still in use?

5. spinba11

spinba11 TowersStreet Member

No it’s not.

skyscraper likes this.
  6. skyscraper

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Didn't think it was, with the current restrictions. Thanks for clarifying. I assume single riders are still allowed to ride though?

7. Matt878787

Matt878787 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Correct you can still ride alone via the main queue. The only rides you can’t are Spinball & The Rapids I believe.

Ethan, skyscraper and imanautie like this.
  8. imanautie

imanautie TowersStreet Member

Spinball is a definite, they now even have signage saying "we are unable to accommodate single riders"

Ethan and skyscraper like this.
  9. Mikw

Mikw TowersStreet Member

Thanks to woeful weather today the park was quiet, so managed to ride The Smiler 8 times.

For large parts of the day the queue time read between 0-5 minutes.

Ethan and skyscraper like this.
  10. skyscraper

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    How were your rides? We're they similar or different?

11. Danscott22

Danscott22 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Falcon's Fury
    I had 2 rides on The Smiler on Saturday and both were really, really smooth. Even the jolts weren't bad.

Ethan, Mikw and skyscraper like this.
  12. skyscraper

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Going to brave it for the first time at Scarfest, hopefully I'll get a good train :p

Danscott22 likes this.
  13. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

I think the debate on smooth v rough depending on people’s different visits is pointless. It’s completely dependant on how recently the wheel compounds have been replaced. You see this on other coasters (particularly Nemesis) but it’s less variable as 1) there are fewer trains so less random chance and 2) the compounds wear faster on Smiler as they have had to put fast compounds on because of the stall issue and these wear out faster (I assume they will be a harder compound and therefore more prone to wear).

pluk and skyscraper like this.
  14. Steve74

Steve74 TowersStreet Member

I've often thought what any rollercoaster would be like if it had car-like suspension on it. Would it smooth things out so much that motion sickness would be more common? Or just completely ruin the experience?

jon81uk and skyscraper like this.
  15. Danscott22

Danscott22 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Falcon's Fury
    They must have been recently replaced everytime I go then as I never have a rough ride. Or maybe I just don't feel it? Idk.

skyscraper likes this.
  16. Mikw

Mikw TowersStreet Member

The operator kept giving me the front left seat, my favourite, i did do a 2nd row and a back row one though.

To be honest, apart from the jolts in the usual places (which i always brace for) i enjoyed every ride

17. skyscraper

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    How easy is it to get the front row? I'm going to brave Smiler for the first time at Scarefest but I only want to do the front row.

18. RoyJess

RoyJess TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Oblivion? Valhalla? or Apocalypse?
    Usually you go where they put you, but if you ask nicely (depending on the ride dispatch host) and explain that this is your first time and that you are feeling apprehension and would brave it, but only that if you could sit in the front row, I'm sure that they may allow you to.

I've many times have asked the ride host nicely if I can sit in my favourite seat on a ride and they usually accommodate, but not always guaranteed.

skyscraper likes this.
  19. D4n

D4n TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    That's a new one :tearsofjoy:

Policy on all rides at the moment is that you sit where the dispatcher tells you. I think it's unfair on the ride host (and other guests) to ask for a particular seat in those circumstances to be honest.

Islander likes this.
  20. skyscraper

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    I'll only do it if the queue's retatively short anyway.