• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

Still can't believe I'm hearing people hope that there is no rain so that an outdoor attraction in the UK can open. Seems more stupid the more I hear it

It isn't just a UK problem. Rides in the States frequently close when there is a storm brewing a couple of miles away, whereas we in the UK aren't as restricted in terms of operations relating to storm proximity.

They also have issues with rides operating in extreme heat, and can't get rides open first thing in the winter months when the temperatures are too cold.

I wouldn't call it stupid it all. The only rides perfectly suited to any weather circumstance in most cases are indoor attractions.

Still can't believe I'm hearing people hope that there is no rain so that an outdoor attraction in the UK can open. Seems more stupid the more I hear it

if it is still the case next year I would say it is stupid, but given there was allegedly a situaltion where a train slipped out the tires and rolled back earlier this year it feels sensible to be cautious until it can be fully investigated and rectified. I expect they will review it in the closed season when the tires can be changed and sorted.
Or would you rather just close it for the whole of the rest of the season instead of trying to run it some of the time?

if it is still the case next year I would say it is stupid, but given there was allegedly a situaltion where a train slipped out the tires and rolled back earlier this year it feels sensible to be cautious until it can be fully investigated and rectified. I expect they will review it in the closed season when the tires can be changed and sorted.
Or would you rather just close it for the whole of the rest of the season instead of trying to run it some of the time?
You could argue its the same on the smiler but they're just not opening it. It apparently needs a part but yet had still been testing. Therefore it could probably still run but Towers are being cautious and waiting until the part is fitted

You could argue its the same on the smiler but they're just not opening it. It apparently needs a part but yet had still been testing. Therefore it could probably still run but Towers are being cautious and waiting until the part is fitted

Except no one actually know what part is need for the Smiler and how critical it is.
Whereas on Thirteen we have reports of a rollback and reports it isn't working when raining so can work out what the issue could be.

I'd sooner they just fitted the wet weather tyres and got on with it.
One fitter, one tyre machine, a hundred wet weather tyres, done.

It's clearly not that critical if the ride can still run round the track without problems

You have such strong opinions for someone who repeatedly shows they know and understand so little.

There a many different things it could be which are safety critical but do not prevent the ride physically running.

Last edited:
You have such strong opinions for someone who repeatedly shows they know and understand so little.

There a many different things it could be which are safety critical but do not present the ride physically running.
I have strong opinions when the best ride has been shut over a week and by the sounds of twitter won't be opening any time soon. Not to mention other rides going up and down like yoyos. Reliability has been shocking recently and it doesn't look good at all from a guest perspective. A guest couldn't care less about the technical side of a ride they just want to ride it. If they can't ride it and have paid good money to get in, then I think they deserve more information

I'd sooner they just fitted the wet weather tyres and got on with it.
One fitter, one tyre machine, a hundred wet weather tyres, done.

realistcally do you think that could be done and tested in the next two weeks? I can see why they would wait for closed season. Although it doesn't sound like a lot of work, I imagine with limited staff they are focusing on keeping everything running to some extent and the work on Thirteen has been deemed something for closed season.

realistcally do you think that could be done and tested in the next two weeks? I can see why they would wait for closed season. Although it doesn't sound like a lot of work, I imagine with limited staff they are focusing on keeping everything running to some extent and the work on Thirteen has been deemed something for closed season.
Haven't Towers themselves stated that the work will be done during the upcoming closed season so it can run in the rain next season? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Although it doesn't sound like a lot of work, I imagine with limited staff they are focusing on keeping everything running to some extent and the work on Thirteen has been deemed something for closed season.
Well they're doing an awful job at trying to keep rides open. Someone on twitter asked why Rita and Th13teen are shut and towers replied with 'Unfortunately these rides aren't available today. Are they being serious? You can't charge the same price to get in when multiple attractions aren't open. That's like paying for a cheese burger and not getting cheese. Some of these rides are the main part of the lineup so if towers know they won't be available then it should be advertised and the price to get in should be reduced

Last edited:

When it has been an issue for ages, and could have been done a few wheels at a time by a kwikfit fitter and a small van, there is absolutely zero excuse.
I have heard from half a dozen different sources...tyre grip, nothing more.

I have strong opinions when the best ride has been shut over a week and by the sounds of twitter won't be opening any time soon.

As quoted, I wasn't responding to you being unhappy at the availability, I was responding to the stupidity of saying the fault can't be that serious if the ride is cycling.

Well they're doing an awful job at trying to keep rides open. Someone on twitter asked why Rita and Th13teen are shut and towers replied with 'Unfortunately these rides aren't available today. Are they being serious?

If the rides are closed what do you want them to say?

You can't charge the same price to get in when multiple attractions aren't open. That's like paying for a cheese burger and not getting cheese.

Yes you can, it's explicitly stated in the terms and conditions, it has always been this way. No ride is ever guaranteed to be open on any given day and anyone with any sense knows this. If things get bad enough you can expect a free return ticket, but not for one or two rides being down.

Unless they’ve employed Mystic Meg to work in the marketing team I’m not sure how exactly you propose that entrance prices are reduced during unexpected periods of downtime when guests are booking many days in advance of their visit. Yes, The Smiler has been closed for an extended period, but all machines break down from time to time, especially

If it has that much of an adverse affect on the guest’s day I’m sure the team in Guest Services will be more than happy to offer something to try and rectify the situation.

Yes, the current situation is far from ideal, but anyone would think they are deliberately closing and sabotaging attractions, the way this is being framed. There are so many external factors beyond that park’s control including imports, global shipping, staff illness and a general lack of workers and manufacturing backlogs/shortages. It’s in their interest to have their attractions operating to avoid complaints, and I am confident that the team at the park are doing as much as they realistically can to support attraction uptime.

We need to have some perspective.

Anyway, I’ve strayed from The Smiler into general attraction availability.

Well they're doing an awful job at trying to keep rides open. Someone on twitter asked why Rita and Th13teen are shut and towers replied with 'Unfortunately these rides aren't available today. Are they being serious? You can't charge the same price to get in when multiple attractions aren't open. That's like paying for a cheese burger and not getting cheese. Some of these rides are the main part of the lineup so if towers know they won't be available then it should be advertised and the price to get in should be reduced

They don't guarentee that any ride or attraction will be available.

Merlin will endeavour to ensure that as many rides and attractions as possible are available for use by guests at the Attraction. However, we reserve the right, without prior notice, to close and change the programme of rides and attractions and/or the Attraction's operating hours. Merlin in its absolute discretion reserves the right to close the whole or any part of the Attraction at any time or to restrict the number of persons having access to the Attraction. The reason for any closure or restriction provided by this condition may include technical or operational reasons, capacity, inclement weather, special events or to ensure the safety and security of guests or if Merlin reasonably considers the circumstances so require. For tickets purchased in advance, if the whole Attraction is closed for any of the reasons set out above, Merlin may offer replacement Tickets for admission to the Attraction on an alternative date in substitution for any other form of redress.
Terms and Conditions | Alton Towers Resort

A replacement ticket will only be considered if the whole attraction is closed. Although realistically if most of the park is closed I think they have offered return tickets in the past too.
Two rides out of 40 closed isn't seen as significant.

Well the smiler has been shut for 9 days now, all of last week and 2 days this week, so I think it's reasonable and realistic for me to assume that it won't be available for my visit on Thursday. Its really unfortunate the time this closure has come about as this is one of the busiest times of the year so to not have one of your main attractions open is a huge bummer