• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

How was your day on park?
Pretty good, done a small review in the Scarefest thread, will do a longer one when I’m not so tired.

staff at Rita and Spinball Whizzer also stated The Smiler is waiting for a part from Gertslauer, so it literally is anyone’s guess when it will be back in operation

Staff at Rita and Spinball Whizzer also stated The Smiler is waiting for a part from Gertslauer, so it literally is anyone’s guess when it will be back in operation
I had a feeling that was the case. It's completely out of Towers' control now as they can't do anything till the part arrives. Fingers crossed it arrives soon (and works)! :)

Is it optimistic to assume that the smiler will be open again by Friday. Its my only planned visit to scarefest this year and I don't think I'm bothered going if it won't be open

I think we’ve established by now that we don’t know how long it’s going to take for the part to be delivered, fitted and make sure everything is in good working order. So who knows really.
Hopefully it's soon for towers sake because the media will be on their case with stories like 'infamous smiler ride shuts down after it has yet again another accident

Okay, spoke to the bloke outside of the Smiler and he said that its down for its yearly maintenance. Due to them extending the season, the maintenance came earlier than they liked. It may hopefully be open in a few days, depending on if issues are actually found. I said to him “I’ve heard rumours” and he said that he’ll tell me the facts, and thats what he said. Fingers crossed it might be open tomorrow so I can get a cheeky ride, but I doubt it haha.

Okay, spoke to the bloke outside of the Smiler and he said that its down for its yearly maintenance. Due to them extending the season, the maintenance came earlier than they liked. It may hopefully be open in a few days, depending on if issues are actually found. I said to him “I’ve heard rumours” and he said that he’ll tell me the facts, and thats what he said. Fingers crossed it might be open tomorrow so I can get a cheeky ride, but I doubt it haha.

I would be highly surprised if The Smiler was down for annual maintenance at what is traditionally the busiest time of the season!

I would be highly surprised if The Smiler was down for annual maintenance at what is traditionally the busiest time of the season!
Yeah I'm not convinced either. It waiting for a part due to a technical issue is more likely I think.

With respect I would take what ride hosts say with a pinch of salt.

Unless it’s heard directly from tech services (who wouldn’t disclose that type of info anyway) I wouldn’t take it as bible.

Yeah, I don't believe that for one second. Also, in what way have they extended the season? Hasn't it been shorter than a normal season? They didn't open until April 12th. It's more likely waiting for a part as I was told by a staff member at Rita and Spinball Whizzer. It wouldn't be down for yearly maintenance at Scarefest, particularly when it never has been before.

Hopefully it's soon for towers sake because the media will be on their case with stories like 'infamous smiler ride shuts down after it has yet again another accident

Umm its been closed for the best part of two weeks and there hasn't been any headlines. If anything keeping it closed for longer is a good thing as shows it is being worked on and not bodged with a quick fix.

The media won't care that its closed. They would only be interested if its was due to some reason they could try and dramatize... Nemesis bit falling off... Thirteen train bump... Even then they only made the local rags.

Fingers crossed it might be open tomorrow so I can get a cheeky ride, but I doubt it haha.

I was saying the same on Fri while working on theory that part would take 48hrs to arrive and a morning to fit :(.

Just done a quick calc and we only have 20 days left of the season and only 4 of those and none paid late closing event days so I'm starting to wonder if Towers would invest more time in keeping current attractions working which they have parts for instead of something that is out of the ordinary and required ordering parts. I am assuming its not going to be a simple job to repair when they get the part, but could be (most likely be) completely wrong.

Now I've said this, it will be operating tomorrow :rolleyes:...

Okay, spoke to the bloke outside of the Smiler and he said that its down for its yearly maintenance. Due to them extending the season, the maintenance came earlier than they liked.

Either he is lying to you, or you are lying to us. But those are the only two options.

Someone posted on Facebook they have been waiting for a sensor and it should be fitted tomorrow
I guess it depends exactly what the part is, but I would hope that Alton Towers keep a supply of basic components such as proximity sensors, pushbuttons, contactors, pneumatic valves etc in their inventory.