• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

Did smiler 5 times over last 2 days, fantastic ride. Don't find it that rough at all. Saw at Thorpe Park is worse by far.

It could be because I was a single rider and was alwalys on a end so maybe not as bad there than the middle?
I find the middle 2 seats of any row is generally more comfortable than the outside seats because you're not flung into, round and out of the twists and inversions as much as if you're on the outside.

I love the smiler, but the station and the presentation of it is vile! Why wouldn’t they make one of their headliners look it’s best?

Do we think it’s on their list of things to do?

I didn't actually go to the smiler takeover event (thank god) but didn't they make new smiler theming and add it around the park, since that event won't be returning do we think there's any chance they'll just add some of that theming to smiler, was the theming quality of the odd bits they made any good or just cheap junk?

I didn't actually go to the smiler takeover event (thank god) but didn't they make new smiler theming and add it around the park, since that event won't be returning do we think there's any chance they'll just add some of that theming to smiler, was the theming quality of the odd bits they made any good or just cheap junk?
I think most of the theming was fairly cheap signs and theming which certainly wouldn’t last if left outside forever, most just painted wood. You would also need to put them out the way to not get vandalised.

I can't recall everything there but they had an activity thing where you counted the number of smiler stickers arround the park, and they had some stamps at each of the big rides. they also had a couple show things and set up some manequin test subjects in each of the secret wepon queues (appart from nemesis obviously) with galacticas being a spaceman with some spiral eyes, thirteens being someone at a desk in hasmat suits surrounded by hypnotic discs and canisters, etc and every now and then they announces "this is a ministry of joy announcment", then something like you are being observed to test the thrill and happiness levels.

I can't recall everything there but they had an activity thing where you counted the number of smiler stickers arround the park, and they had some stamps at each of the big rides. they also had a couple show things and set up some manequin test subjects in each of the secret wepon queues (appart from nemesis obviously) with galacticas being a spaceman with some spiral eyes, thirteens being someone at a desk in hasmat suits surrounded by hypnotic discs and canisters, etc and every now and then they announces "this is a ministry of joy announcment", then something like you are being observed to test the thrill and happiness levels.
it was different to say the least

Anyone confirm if it's had a good jet wash, and the station building got a repaint ?
The station has been jet washed, as has the marmaliser. Looks like most of the “yellow” pipework has been repainted. It has left the station a bit patchy to be honest. It’s an improvement at least.

The track still looks a bit of a mess. I didn’t ride it yesterday and didn’t miss it from my day in all honesty.

Did this on Saturday night and also went past on Sunday. It’s definitely the best it’s looked for years, but also still work to be done

Most of the high level Marmaliser has been cleaned and painted. And the outside of the station has been cleaned and the pipes painted.

I would also say the whole queue line has been jet washed as it looked very clean.

Inside, they have painted all the station walls, floor and fencing. And it does look like it’s been done professionally this time, as they’ve done all the high level stuff and the whole exit stairs and corridor as well.

A small other change, the fence separating the main queue and single rider queue near baggage has been made taller to stop people jumping over from the single rider to the main queue.

The lighting did look really good. It’s definitely not been permanently installed like those on Nemesis but I imagine they’ll use it for the late night openings again.

As might have been mentioned in passing elsewhere, SRQ has returned to the original route via merge. SRQ users once again drop bags off downstairs before using the left queue on the stairs.

In theory, this should slightly improve operations as single riders no longer have to use the bag cages on the platform. The downside is that it's now very difficult to judge the srq length - before you were largely ok if you couldn't see it but now you have no idea how many people are on the stairs. The SRQ is let through very infrequently as the merge host now has 4 queues to manage and can only let SRQ through once they've built up a big enough buffer in main queue to switch the gate over for a few minutes. SRQ users with bags also risk being significantly queue jumped if people behind don't have to wait at the bag store.

As might have been mentioned in passing elsewhere, SRQ has returned to the original route via merge. SRQ users once again drop bags off downstairs before using the left queue on the stairs.

In theory, this should slightly improve operations as single riders no longer have to use the bag cages on the platform. The downside is that it's now very difficult to judge the srq length - before you were largely ok if you couldn't see it but now you have no idea how many people are on the stairs. The SRQ is let through very infrequently as the merge host now has 4 queues to manage and can only let SRQ through once they've built up a big enough buffer in main queue to switch the gate over for a few minutes. SRQ users with bags also risk being significantly queue jumped if people behind don't have to wait at the bag store.
It would be ok if the merge person did their job efficiently. From my experiences so far it’s just as bad as the management of the saw single merge point. The station could be empty and you’re wasting time not being let through