• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

You got to feel sorry for the staff...you've got to wonder how worse it can get for them?

Well to be honest no I dont.

If marketing were upfront and honest and warned people the ride would be closed the majority of guests would know and wouldnt mind.
If the guests who have paid entry to the park are upset and taking it out on the staff - good on them. And I hope its awful for the staff, to constantly explain why after 3 days its still not operating, and guests dont take likely to it.

I have no issue with the staff, but the park deserve a hard time over this. Its just a shame front line staff deal with decision made by Marketing who can hide away from it all. I just hope the staff feed back to area managers and it gets noticed. I doubt Marketing care (cos if they dont care for guests why care for staff), but it might get fedback.

No one in a customer facing role at Towers deserves the hassle of being shouted at by angry and peeved guests - they're not in a position to physically do anything about it.

Those with the ability to make a difference have the choice to stay away from the front line. I just hope the frustrations get fed back to where they need to be heard.

Time to own up... Get it out in the public sphere that its closed, and save people the trip.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Just as a wee point... We know that Chessie let people know about closed rides, and we know that Thorpe at least used to, so why can't Towers in advance? RideTimes is useful when the park is open but it isn't an advance warning before the park is open. Equally, smaller parks are capable of informing people on closures days in advance - and they depend on people through the gates even more so than the larger parks:

4y8abu3u.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Booked a Friends and Family ticket for this Saturday. Staff there were unaware that the ride was closed. Infact I was encouraged to make sure I experience The Smiler which prompted me to mention it had been closed for the last 3 days

Towersstreet have uploaded an image that could go someway towards explaining why it's been closed recently:

1078888_514596725277443_1006358402_o.jpg

:/

Croftybaby said:
It doesn't take 3 days to put netting up?

Indeed it doesn't, hence my :/ smiley. It may, however, take time if they are putting netting/barriers etc over the whole queue line down in the pit. However, that's just me speculating like :)

Not too surprised this has happened after the flying bolt...

Probs done it because the ride is shut though rather than shutting it just for that... Especially for 3 days...

I'd be surprised if the netting has much to do with it being closed for 3 days. If they needed to put netting up then they could do it in the evenings whilst still running the ride during the day. It surely has to be some sort of mechanical problem. My guess is that they are waiting for a part to be delivered or something like that.

:)

I have to agree, i think it nets are a secondary job. that would of been done after the park closed, but as the smiler is down anyway, they stick them up now.

Or on the other hand, we could always blame health and safety for shutting the ride until the nets are installed. ;)

I rang up towers last week on Monday before I went last tues day the lady told me The Smiler :twirly: was open on Monday and it would be open on Tuesday but when we got he there was a sign saying the smiler would not be open so we spoke to guest services and they told us it was not open on Monday! (the lady on the phone fed us wrong information). After some talking they gave us a free ticket for another day. Apart from that, we had a really good day and the queues were short. and we get to back another day to ride The Smiler :twirly: But they need to get communication between the resort and the call centre more accurate :) :) :)

I bet a lot of the staff in the call centre are kept in the dark with whats open and what isnt to be fair to them. Too many bookings would be turned down otherwise...

It's DIABOLICAL that they aren't updating their website or facebook.

Shame on Towers.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Th13teen had as much if not more downtime than The Smiler has (not including its delays obviously). But everytime it went down for a given period of time the website had a notice to say so.

She may have had a tendency towards over-hype but at least Morwenna understood guest service.

Towers are replying to a couple of people on Twitter regarding The Smiler possibly reopening today. Nothing has been said as such, however they've said they'll know, "more after 9am."

Granted that time has now come and gone but still, it might reopen today :)

EDIT: Ah no, no, it's still closed.

They've added a message to their website saying 'The Smiler is closed today... The ride is expected to be open soon'. Taken them long enough!