• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

At least they have put something on the website now. It would help if you were able to actually read it on each of the 3 different backgrounds they have. They really do appear to be afraid of admitting it's closed.

:)

I'm glad something is finally being said on the website, ideally it would be a full page on the site like it was during the opening day delays, but whats there is better than nothing.

Hopefully, during this downtime, they can also sort out the indoor section, to get it back to opening day standards. Dark, filled with smoke and disorientating.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

I was on park yesterday (you may have noticed I was busy on the TS Facebook page :p), they clearly knew at the start of the day that the ride would be down all day, there were signs at the entrance to the park and also one outside the Smiler. Also all the temp queue line extensions have been removed (currently near the towers). Yet why hasn't anyone from towers mentioned this on FB/Twitter/AT.com, It's very bad service. Especially when you have giant images on your sites for the Smiler. If I was a member of the public and I had traveled a long way, I would be very annoyed at towers, and even more annoyed if I had found out the ride had been closed for 2 days before hand!

As for whats wrong with it, I have no idea. There was no visible signs of any activity at all yesterday, the ride cars didn't move. The marmaliser effects and audio were off (yet towers do love to waste electricity as all the screens were on all day). The shop was however open!

As for that text on the website telling us that the ride is closed, they might as well not even bothered! You can't read it on 2 of the backgrounds and its so tiny I doubt any visitor to the site will even see it! You are much more likely to see the giant "The worlds first 14 looping rollercoaster. It's Here - Find out more" You then click for more information and there is a giant banner saying "THE SMILER NOW OPEN."

I get the sense that the powers-that-be are panicking. They have already had a slow start to the season because of delays to the smiler, and now they just can't risk people not turning up. They probably see the negative press as more desirable than less visitors. Who knows? :p

That Text on the website has got to be a pi$$ take? It's smaller than the terms and conditions for a wonga loan. They have clearly only made it that small to mock the fans or hide it away from the bosses or so that they can tell anyone who complains at the park that they should have checked the website.

I'm going to make my own 'Sign' and upload it to the facebook. :p

Smiler was closed again today but here's a couple of photos of the new netting:

P1070859.JPG

P1070860.JPG

Also, in a worrying way, the overflow queue has been removed and is now here. Is this a sign that the smiler isn't going to open any time soon?

P1070862.JPG

According to a few unofficial Facebook pages staff outside the Smiler are informing guests that it will be closed "until further notice" so it doesn't seem like they have any idea when it will reopen!

Not a very good year for Alton. The marketing team will have to try and market this alongside the new family area next season at this rate.

All the queue line extension fences were being moved from by the Towers back near to The Smiler just before ride close today.

I wonder if the bolt coming out has in fact highlighted some structural issues with the ride. Could this be an 18million pound white elephant for Alton. Oh dear. They need to pull all the advertising though both on tv and their website until further notice as well....

Nothing on the official AT website today about it being closed. Absolutely shocking.

GaryH said:
Nothing on the official AT website today about it being closed. Absolutely shocking.

Could be a sign that they're aiming for it to be open tomorrow?

Towers have tweeted someone saying they are 95% sure it'll open "at some point tomorrow".

Was retweeted by towers times bout half hour ago.

Disappointed that The Smiler was closed once again today, especially I don't go very often. The ride didn't move at all today howeve, as Vik said, they were bringing all the queue fences back at ride close.

GaryH said:
Nothing on the official AT website today about it being closed.

considering how long it took for it to go on, they are very quick at getting it off.

Vik said:
All the queue line extension fences were being moved from by the Towers back near to The Smiler just before ride close today.

I can confirm this- the ride staff weren't saying it would open tomorrow but I got the impression it would from the non-verbals. Too late for me unfortunately.
Rita had a couple of short delays today- second one seemed to be due a cigarette lighter that got into the rails at launch point. Very grumpy schoolma'am in the control box was making sure that the punters got blamed for that one.

Engineers were doing things to it yesterday... Dunno what but trains were moved about the transfer track...

Not much else really... It went from 'possibly' to 'hopefully' open today, best bet will be if the extension is open...

As expected, see this article RE: the cracks in the groundwork:

Clicky

A new £18million white-knuckle ride at Alton Towers has been shut after cracks appeared around the base of a giant metal support.

The Smiler was closed on Tuesday – the second time since its launch in May that the 14-loop rollercoaster has been put out of action.

A spokeswoman blamed a “technical issue” with one of the supports but denied the recent heatwave could have caused the cracks.

She said: “It wasn’t a safety issue. It was picked up during standard daily checks. The cracks were at the surface where the bolts go in.”

Unhappy visitors who had travelled to the Staffordshire theme park from across the country to have a go on the hair-raising ride told of their disappointment.

Dawn Jones wrote on the resort’s Facebook page: “Does Smiler ever work?” Stephen Taylor added: “Come on guys... came all this way... sort it out.” And Joe Forrest posted: “Many guests are coming specifically to ride it. What am I supposed to tell the kids?”

The park’s website said yesterday that the ride is expected to re-open “soon”.

The 53mph ride first shut last month after a 12-inch metal bolt reportedly fell from the 3,839ft track near a queue.

It also broke down on its preview night in May, leaving riders dangling for 30 minutes. No one was hurt.

Construction on The Smiler, which lasts two minutes 45 seconds and features a 98ft drop, began early last year.