• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

I also heard a rumour about cracks in one of the footers - given the problems they had with the site and the rumour of subsidence, it wouldn't surprise me.

*Sarcasm*
I've discovered the cause of all the problems and downtime with The Smiler! They're simply fixing the washing machine which has been broken since May.

How could we have been so stupid?!

I think we have just found the cause of all the problems with the Smiler:

Link

All the 6 and 8 got swapped around.

Ian

I found this the other day which made me chuckle:
(copy pasted from tumblr as the source link has stupid bgm)

THE LEGEND OF THE NEW ROLLER COASTER
Local legend has it that one day in 2013, the Earl of Shrewsbury was travelling by car in his home at Alton Towers, past the site of The Smiler. Suddenly and unexpectedly, an old woman stepped out and, upon bringing the Earl’s car to an abrupt halt, asked him if he could spare a coin. The Earl dismissed her, and bid his driver to continue, ordering her off his land as he departed. As he did so, however, the old woman issued the chilling reprimand, “For every bolt that falls from this new roller coaster, a member of your family will die.”

Some time later an extreme heatwave arrived, during which, a single bolt was sheared from the roller coaster and fell to the ground. Shortly after, a member of the Earl’s family – purportedly his son – suddenly and inexplicably died. So, as the legend has it, the Earl returned to the ride and demanded that the track pieces were chained together to prevent a similar tragedy.

(Source: http://jellydekiller.tumblr.com/post/57428549578/the-legend-of-the-new-roller-coaster)

Nice article, I like the way he talks about not having inversions for the sake of inversions yet the idea was to have inversions for the sake of inversions because inversions are the selling point of the ride. Nevertheless I always enjoy reading about ride development. I would like to know what alternative theme ideas they had.

As posted on the TowersStreet Facebook page earlier, most of the Smiler queue line is now covered with netting, and by the looks of things more is being added soon, as there are poles and hooks above some parts of the queue without netting.

602026_519523834784732_613174809_n.jpg

Why on earth would they risk this? People have been riding it anyway, regardless of the fact that there were problems building it, opening it and keeping it open. It's not as if all this information isn't already well-documented out there on hundreds of other news websites and fan forums either.

I can't believe that this would be anything other than the actions of a single employee. Getting caught doing something like this is worse than if the information on the Wikipedia page had just been left. I don't think there are many companies out there that would condone or risk things like this.