• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

I think the glass floor was a nice idea but it just doesn't work which is a shame. And it does let too much light in to the indoor section yes. It would have been better if it was a clear floor, and if there was a nice themed indoor section to look down on rather than flooded concrete etc!

:)

I've just posted this in The Media Topic as someone had requested it but thought it would serve some use here as well. The mounted POV of The Smiler by Lenzflare Ltd who also put together the little 2 minute video on Towers YouTube page.

http://vimeo.com/69021060

Rob said:
I think the glass floor was a nice idea but it just doesn't work which is a shame. And it does let too much light in to the indoor section yes. It would have been better if it was a clear floor, and if there was a nice themed indoor section to look down on rather than flooded concrete etc!

:)

They could have boxed a section off with one way mirror glass, so you didn't walk over it, but could still see in and not out.

Not sure if anything went wrong in the design but the present one seems utterly pointless. It's detrimental, when you compare the indoor section to Saw, it is very poor.

This was brought to my attention over on TT. Gerstlauer have dubbed The Smiler as an 'Infinity Coaster'. The newly opened Karacho at Tripsdrill is also an 'Infinity Coaster', not a eurofighter. There is more information on the link below but what I was surprised at is that Gerstlauer are offering the trains to accommodate 32 riders. Also to note is that the trains are supplied with lap bars and only with OTSR's upon request.

http://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/products/roller-coasters/infinity-coaster/

The Smiler would have been awesome with a lap bar.........when it's working that is.

I wish I had something witty to say here.....

So lap bars are standard..... BLEEP YOU MERLIN! BLEEP YOU RIGHT IN THE EAR!! :mad:

What was the purpose of the maintenance that took place yesterday and today? I'm assuming it was to sort out drainage problems but I haven't heard any updates on the matter.

Max said:
What was the purpose of the maintenance that took place yesterday and today? I'm assuming it was to sort out drainage problems but I haven't heard any updates on the matter.

No hard evidence but it seems it was to sort out all the little technical niggles before the scare and fireworks period starts which is traditionally the parks busiest time.

Max said:

On Monday I observed a worker heaving around a large yellow pipe that originated from the indoor section. MOTWYW.

Alastair said:
Max said:

On Monday I observed a worker heaving around a large yellow pipe that originated from the indoor section. MOTWYW.

Hmmm I wonder what that could possibly be related to... ;)

GaryH said:
More themeing!

Theming that makes sounds when it is raining :D

seriously, If they are adding drainage pipes into the building and the pit. I hope they do theme them.

Rode it twice more today. Row 1 and Row 4 (I forgot to look at the train numbers). Row 4 is definitely more rattly however I was surprised at how smooth it was compared to some reviews. The jolts are still quite painful on the shoulders but I was happy to see The Giggler working again. I also observed the support on the exit of the cobra roll and boy does it move. More so than it should be I believe. All other track movements though seemed normal today. In regards to the inside section and what has been done, firstly the strobe is now working again (or switched on) but no mist, and there are still and awful lot of sandbags in there and what looked like bricks.

Ran all day today with only one short breakdown in the afternoon. Such a strange ride in reliability terms.

Alastair said:
Ran all day today with only one short breakdown in the afternoon. Such a strange ride in reliability terms.

Yes it really is. Sometimes it can have a great day, some days with a few problems, such as today with queue line clearance, or days when it all goes to pot :p

Rode THE Smiler today, don't know if I was just lucky but the thing seemed smoother (back to opening day standard)

But I could have just had 2 jammy rides.

Dave said:
Rode THE Smiler today, don't know if I was just lucky but the thing seemed smoother (back to opening day standard)

But I could have just had 2 jammy rides.

I too found it smoother than my rides earlier in August and July. Maybe the recent two day 'planned maintenance' had something to do with it? It also sounded a lot less rattly than previous visits which was pleasing.

Also rode yesterday and found it a lot more smoother than on previous visits. Was on the front row, not sure which train though.

Also, on the subject of breakdowns, I was on the second train stacked in the station when it broke down. The front train wasn't loaded and they battery forced our restraints open but left the other 3, I think, trains on the brake run with people in. Anyone know if this is standard procedure as I thought it was odd they wouldn't do the same for the other trains. I remember being on Th13teen a year or two back when it broke down and we were in the brakes at the transfer track and they did the same with all the trains then.

LiamC said:
Also rode yesterday and found it a lot more smoother than on previous visits. Was on the front row, not sure which train though.

Also, on the subject of breakdowns, I was on the second train stacked in the station when it broke down. The front train wasn't loaded and they battery forced our restraints open but left the other 3, I think, trains on the brake run with people in. Anyone know if this is standard procedure as I thought it was odd they wouldn't do the same for the other trains. I remember being on Th13teen a year or two back when it broke down and we were in the brakes at the transfer track and they did the same with all the trains then.

Different rides have different evacuation procedures and it changes depending on the location of the vehicles.

It probably isn't just a simple situation of opening the restraints and walking people off from the brake areas on The Smiler.