• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

As bad as 'compensation culture' is, Alton have a more than legitimate case to take the cowboys who built this for every penny they own.

Blaze said:
As bad as 'compensation culture' is, Alton have a more than legitimate case to take the cowboys who built this for every penny they own.
I have to put some of the blame on Alton Towers, building a coaster in the space of time they built the smiler is almost impossible. Alton should have started construction much earlier than they did

This cannot all be blamed on Alton. The company who manufacturers the ride must be held to account, unless the ride is moving due to poor foundations in which case who ever surveyed the ground there should be shot lol

GaryH said:
This cannot all be blamed on Alton. The company who manufacturers the ride must be held to account, unless the ride is moving due to poor foundations in which case who ever surveyed the ground there should be shot lol
Oh no I wouldn't put all the blame on alton, Gerst should have also made sure the ride was being put together properly and they obviously didn't

Hitch said:
Blaze said:
I have to put some of the blame on Alton Towers, building a coaster in the space of time they built the smiler is almost impossible. Alton should have started construction much earlier than they did

The thing is, without the awful weather, they would have had plenty of time to do the job properly. Alas, the weather is very unpredictable, especially here in Britain, so that awful rushed construction happened. Maybe they will learn from this... Probably not though.

Olii said:
Hitch said:
Blaze said:

The thing is, without the awful weather, they would have had plenty of time to do the job properly. Alas, the weather is very unpredictable, especially here in Britain, so that awful rushed construction happened. Maybe they will learn from this... Probably not though.
This is the exact reason they should have given more construction time, Think of the new winged coaster in hyde park, Not opening until 2014 but the track is already complete or very nearly, the same should have been done here

Just read on facebook a member of the public saying they saw a bolt fall out above the toilet block. This would explain the cracked roof tiles then.... I'm thinking final destination where the track separates as the car approaches lol

They should have started earlier, but it wasn't Alton who messed up the groundwork and H&S, putting it back even further. There's no excuse for supports being put on wrongly, the track not lining up and bolts not being put on tight enough.

It's Alton's fault for choosing them and for waiting, and the good old weather get out clause applies again like it did for the last two rides they've built, but still, the majority of the blame is on the people who actually built it.

Oh well, looks like Mr Varney got 3 USP's.... Add the worlds most unrealiable brand new ride to the list lol

Ah the jokes over closed season that were made about the toilet windows being under the track... Ironic that something very did nearly fall off and through one today :/

By ironic though, I also mean slightly worrying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Right, back to the hole in the Toilet roof. Is the damage just tiles or has it gone down into the ceiling within the toilet area?

It has been photographed on the floor outside, so I assume it be bounced off the tiles onto the floor.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Scott said:
Ah the jokes over closed season that were made about the toilet windows being under the track... Ironic that something very did nearly fall off and through one today :/

By ironic though, I also mean slightly worrying.

Slightly worrying - I find 2 bolts falling out of a brand new £18m ride VERY worrying lol!!!!

I've just deleted some off topic posts - contact me for questions/queries! :) feel free to re-post in The Tavern.

Sent using Tapatalk

With bolts coming out the ride I would dread to think of the amount of forces that the track is taking day in day out. It must be pretty immense to do that. While it's only two incidents it's two incidents too many. I wonder if they will have a long term solution planned to implement over the closed season...

Most rides shed bolts (certainly know Swarm and Oblivion have). But it does seem to be happening regularly.

Trouble is the ground work is so pants the track is probably being put under stupid stresses. Suppose they just have to hope it holds out the next 14 days so they can get it sorted properly in the closed season.