• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

My only issue is that it has onion on it. Can't stand onion. Shame, because it otherwise sounds kinda nice.

badlydrawnkelBel said:
Tempting to get one just for the 50% off hotels!

You don't need an actual voucher, just quote the code (when you ring up) on the above picture :)

I thought the same originally.

Hmm I wonder what the restrictions are on that 50% off hotel stays offer? I'd be surprised if it included weekends, especially at peak time. Still, a good offer!

:)

T&C for 50% off. There is more days you can't use it for, than you can. Sun 50% offer should be out as well tomorrow.

Ian

Link
50% off Alton Towers Hotels

50% offer is subject to availability, valid from 23.03.14 until 06.11.14 excluding all Saturdays and 04.04.14-26.04.14; 04.05.14 – 05.05.14; 23.05.14-01.06.14; 18.07.14- 01.09.14; 17.10.14-01.11.14.

Offer is valid for bed and breakfast rates only in a standard room. Theme Park, Waterpark, Golf, Spa entrance and treatments and all other chargeable leisure activities are not included. Cannot be transferred to an existing booking or used in conjunction with any other offer. Alton Towers Resort reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, to refuse entry, and to close and/or alter any part of the facilities. Offer is non-transferable, cannot be sold, and no cash alternative is offered. Room prices vary and are subject to change. Dates are subject to change. You must bring your 50% voucher with you to validate the offer. If you do not bring your voucher Alton Towers Resort reserves the right to charge you the full price.

So basically you can't use it on at Saturday night or any days during any school holidays! That's fair enough really, the hotels probably don't need 50% offers to fill up on those dates.

:)

Makes sense to restrict around the times that the hotel is practically full anyway. Plus the hotels already have certain amounts of daily rooms allocated for the sun offer.

These offers are always about filling the hotels on off-peak days to increase overall occupancy. Most of the peak days probably sell well in the January sale anyway.

I am assuming that the above T&Cs apply to all 50% offers.

If you try and use the SUN2014 code online it is not working yet, and GOOD50 does not apply any discount.

I don't understand why they can not offer MAP offers bigger discounts during quieter periods, reducing the discount gradually until all the rooms are gone?

Even with the 50% discount, the rooms are still really expensive, IMO.

Ian

Has the Sun code been published yet? Because it won't work until the supplement is out. Usually there are rooms for most days on The Sun code as you can get tickets for any day. They just have less available at the offer price on busier days.

I'd give them time with adding codes to the online booking system. Usually takes them a while until they realise people want to use the codes. :p Phoning is your best bet until then!

Rooms are always expensive in-season, although sometimes you can get lucky and hit a good price.

Hehe, I tried calling on Monday, and they would not let me use the code until it was published, I am sure this was not the case last year :)

I think the supplement is out tomorrow, so not long to wait I guess :)

Also, the T&C's I quoted above are taken from the Alton Towers web site, so those dates might not apply to the Smiler Offer, I am just assuming it would, along with the Sun Offer.

Ian

The goodfellas voucher does say you can only use the discount over the phone.

Just out of curiosity, to anyone who visited the John Lewis event, have any improvements or changes been made to The Smiler's indoor section or is it still in the same state it was last year?

Regarding the Goodfellas marketing, I think it's a piece of fun that will definitely receive some attention from the GP.

I had 2 rides yesterday in the middle 2 rows.

One ride was quite smooth but the other was just as rough as some last season.

With all the problems it's had in the past two days, it really makes me wonder what did they actually do during closed season?

Stevie said:
With all the problems it's had in the past two days, it really makes me wonder what did they actually do during closed season?

Jack all? Must've just put that scaffolding there to make it look like they're busy. The fence must've been their #1 priority this closed season. :/

Tom.B said:
Stevie said:

Jack all? Must've just put that scaffolding there to make it look like they're busy. The fence must've been their #1 priority this closed season. :/

Find that hard to argue with!

The fence/extended cattle prod (sorry pen) didn't look as bad as I feared, but it's still awful. Smiler broke down repeatedly last night 30 minute queue turned into best part of an hour and a half - resulting in a bonus "dusk" ride! However, it was rough still, absolutely no improvement from what I can tell. One of the projections (above the entrance to baggage hold) is still misaligned, I think the speakers had been fixed but the audio was TOO loud. Outdoor screens all seemed to be working too unless I missed one.

One thing I did notice, the pen didn't rattle and neither did the supports - it sounded like a giant was shaking the lot at the end of last season, but that is a definite improvement - what it has not done, is create a smoother ride.

I still love it, but it's certainly no better an experience than last year - and they flow of the queue (changed again) seems even worse in the sense of feeling you're moving away from the entrance. Why do they do this? It's still the same length lol?

Actually, I don't recall the audio/lights/smoke working as we left the station? Am I imagining that?