• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

Went to park today. Only tend to go around once a year, so was fairly gutted to find The Smiler closed. At first I suspected it just to be the late openings that have been mentioned, so we tried to sneak in Oblivion, only for that to also close after 30 mins queuing.
Was told throughout the day that the Smiler may open at some point, but no-one knows, although it obviously didn't seem likely, no signs of life whatsoever.

My favourite quote was overhead from a member of the Smiler staff replying to the public, who said 'To be honest, it seems to be more of a monument than a rollercoaster!'

So, The Smiler is down again for a second consecutive day, along with it's neighbor Oblivion... Not a good few days for Towers.

james.e.hyde said:
Does anyone know what the cameras are for in the back of the seats?

I have noticed these, but they are only on one or two rows on certain trains. They look the same as what Saw used to have where you could buy on ride DVD. I imagine they are testing them to see how they look, etc, before either adding it to all the trains or removing them. All the rows (except front) do have brackets for the cameras.

If you look on the back of the row in front, there's a silver box with a sticker emblazoned with "Ride Video" on it. I can only assume it's a similar thing to The Swarm, as they look like webcams!

Alastair said:
james.e.hyde said:
Does anyone know what the cameras are for in the back of the seats?

What cameras? All that's on the back of the seats is the optical illusions and the restraint lock light. When the restraints are locked this shows green, and when unlocked it shows red.

The cameras between the seats are on-ride DVD cameras which have only been fitted on one train so far to be tested before being fitted to the other trains :)

Just as a notice, it's nice to see the drainage system in the pit works well. ;)

BMy7C2tCIAERg9g.jpg:large

Credit to @hoddsiecanary89

"I'm surprised this happened" said nobody. Ever.

What did they expect would happen? :p

The drainage down here in the pit is pathetic! Side stepping over a puddle that's worse than Nemesis' queue line steps!

Also, the wheels are squeaking very loudly on the trains.

And the smiler is back up and running after experiencing down time

Tom said:
What were queues like.
Advertised two and a half hours. Actual queuing time was two hours 45 when someone dropped a jacket and it fell into the ride system, and two hours for the last ride of the day (last train, just myself and my +1).

They really need to get at least train 4 running, they need a solution to Stall Always!

I wonder how much the issues are costing Gerst? This thing would have run overbudget and it seems nothing has been cut, so i can only assume they are pushing the costs back onto the groundworks team / gerst