• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

Loving that advert, the little Krave and little Smiler ride are so cute!

I wonder how long Kellogg's will be on park giving out Krave and Squares.

djtruefitt said:
Loving that advert, the little Krave and little Smiler ride are so cute!

I wonder how long Kellogg's will be on park giving out Krave and Squares.

I think they've already been doing it. I remembered seeing a picture of some kind of Krave wagon, I think.

Yes they have been on park for a week or two, I meant I wonder how long until they stop giving them out. According to their twitter page the competitions run till September.

That awkward moment when the made up entrance to The Smiler in the Krave advert is better than The Smiler's real entrance. ;)

The recreation of the ride in that advert makes it look more like Knightmare if you squint:

xm2f.jpg

9mqpb000dipbb2fbah5pf1.jpg

JAMMYD778 said:
One little subtle thing I noticed today is that Towers have spelt 'Marmalisation' wrong on the newish 'Refresh The Smiler' shop sign. It says 'MAREMALISATION'. Proof in the Towersstreet Facebook image below. Just a small thing that made me chuckle.

993587_495142533889529_636127751_n.jpg

Argh! I hate ALL of these signs. Why do they feel the need to replace letters with numbers? It's not clever, it's not kooky, and it's certainly not unique.

Indeed. It just makes the whole ride look like it was designed by a ten year old.

... Oh, wait...

djtruefitt said:
Yes they have been on park for a week or two, I meant I wonder how long until they stop giving them out. According to their twitter page the competitions run till September.

Sorry, I misread :/

I thought The Smiler could reverse on the vertical lift in case of a technical problem? Not the case today...
uraha8u7.jpg
penava8y.jpg

If there's a problem with the vertical lift itself then I guess they would have no choice but to do the standard procedure like other Eurofighters.

James said:
If there's a problem with the vertical lift itself then I guess they would have no choice but to do the standard procedure like other Eurofighters.
Indeed. Hasn't been too long, 25 minutes now however the ride host announced a "technical issue" BEFORE the car arrived at the brakes before the vertical lift. So I would assume that if it was a problem with the vertical lift then it wouldn't have engaged with it?

I may be wrong, of course..!

LordOfDarkness said:
They could of been using the lift as a block brake?

I'm not sure, was it actually evaced?
Not certain. An hour after it ceased operation the entire queue was EVAC'd, and a pink pass being handed out per two people.

It's now open

Wee, finally got to ride on this a few times over the weekend. Turned up with my Fast-track just as they were evac'ing it on the Saturday and decided to wait around since I recognized a couple of the people waiting at the front with me (a guy with a smiler bobble hat who I swear is by the ride every single day I've gone, and a kid I'm sure I recognized from youtube videos - was too shy to say anything to them!).

I'd love to say I thought the ride was great, but the truth is all 3 times I rode it it really bloody hurt my shoulders. Tried sitting at the front, middle and back and also tried leaning forward and back in the seat but no matter what I did - when it hit some of those loops it really jammed my shoulder-blades into the restraints and - well, hurt. I can take G force and motion sickness all day but when a ride actually makes you say 'ow' it's hard to really enjoy it - despite the other elements all being really good.

Hopefully in the winter I can pad myself up a bit.

Wow, the kids just pointed out this morning I have really big bruises on my shoulders - must have been from the ride yesterday. Scary stuff.

RoyalFool said:
Wow, the kids just pointed out this morning I have really big bruises on my shoulders - must have been from the ride yesterday. Scary stuff.

I have found a solution to The Smilers not entirely Gerstlauer induced Gerstache.

Available from Towers Trading (this version also doubles as an ice cream advertisement):
uspw_6696682-1-4_3_rx404_c534x401.jpg

Either that or it's an on board queue time display, in hours.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but smiler was running on 5 trains yesterday.

There's always one stacked in the station, and depending on dispatch times there can be a second one stacked up for a few seconds.

Unsure how it was affecting the queue times as I used single riders, however it did seem to be moving nice and quickly.

thefatone said:
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but smiler was running on 5 trains yesterday.

There's always one stacked in the station, and depending on dispatch times there can be a second one stacked up for a few seconds.

Unsure how it was affecting the queue times as I used single riders, however it did seem to be moving nice and quickly.

That's good to hear! If there is minimal stacking then hopefully throughput can be improved :)

Got on the Smiler yesterday using a fast track, no queues leading up to the ride bay. Whilst waiting in the bay to get on when they announced technical difficulties. This lead to people being stuck on the track as the trains where all queued up behind each other. The ride then went ahead after 10 minutes of waiting. I must say, such an amazing ride.

Here's a picture:D (I'm on the right, was somewhat posing for the camera)

7O12IED.jpg