• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Rob said:
Thanks for that! Glad that we now officially have Mr Twirly with spinning eyes, that is awesome! ;D

Must admit though, I don't think I've ever seen so much text with information or T&Cs on a TV advert in my life.

:)

Imagine a radio ad where they have to read them out :eek:

This is probably the best way they could go about marketing at the moment, there is no point doing Smiler specific adverts until much closer to May. At least this way people will know Alton Towers is open soon, which semi-decent discounts on short breaks and that there is a new rollercoaster coming soon.

Excited to see what the final Smiler advert will look like though!

Thanks for posting that video :) Great to see there is a small snippet of The Smiler, looking forward to the full TV ads nearer to May.

If anyone is interested, digital agency Matmi are creating the game/mobile app for Alton Towers, which will be released on Android as well as iOS. Taken from their website:

Matmi said:
We are thrilled to be working on a project for Alton Towers Resort; developing a range of GRIN-tastic mobile fun promoting the theme park’s new world first rollercoaster; including a mobile game, competitions and exciting Augmented Reality features. Is it actually possible to fit all this into one mobile app?!

Watch this space to find out…..

James said:
If anyone is interested, digital agency Matmi are creating the game/mobile app for Alton Towers, which will be released on Android as well as iOS. Taken from their website:

Matmi said:
We are thrilled to be working on a project for Alton Towers Resort; developing a range of GRIN-tastic mobile fun promoting the theme park’s new world first rollercoaster; including a mobile game, competitions and exciting Augmented Reality features. Is it actually possible to fit all this into one mobile app?!

Watch this space to find out…..

World first used again in there, interesting. Interesting in that 3rd parties are referring to it as a world first also, although that's probably under instruction from Towers.

I thought that too, Chris. God, it sounds so immature. What a crap way to market a new ride (especially one with such a sinister theme). Looks like the mystery to this marketing is gone, just as soon as it came. :(

Well it is a big new roller coaster (hardly small is it? :p). They are just jamming it in for some recognition, most people will oh "oh they are building a new roller coaster" leading to them searching for 'The Smiler' and the internet and leading them on to the website.

It does the job fine. At least they aren't hyping it up like SW6.

I agree. Yeah. At least we haven't been given multiple names like they did with TH13TEEN. 'Surrender'

I thought that was the initial name at first haha. Silly me. :p

Obviously the delays have caused a few quick fixes in the marketing for 2013, suppose what marketing should be happening now will now start in March.

Yeah, everything is probably a bit out of sycn with the marketing now I'd imagine. The initial things will have been done at the time with were originally planned for, which probably includes the announcement of the name. But obviously things like TV adverts or other major marketing pushes will be moved back to coincide with the new opening date. So chances are we will now see a spell of nothing overly exciting, fingers crossed Towers will fill us in with construction updates in that time though.

Well done Alton Towers, you've realised how to completely destroy my bank account with just one shop! :p

82 lines? 82 lines of merch?

What? Apart from the obligatory pens, t-shirts, jumpers and mugs and what that picture shows, I can't even begin to think what else there'll be.

Loving the merchandise! Can't wait to see it all in the shop! Also looks like more space needed in Towers Trading for the themed rides sections!

Stevie said:

What? Apart from the obligatory pens, t-shirts, jumpers and mugs and what that picture shows, I can't even begin to think what else there'll be.
Can't believe it myself :)

Stevie said:

Umbrellas...

I'd imagine that only The Smiler shop will contain all 82 items. Then Towers Trading will have a selection of the more "traditional" Smiler merch such as mugs, snow globes, t shirts etc with a few of the unique things. There's no way they could fit 82 lines of Smiler merch into to Towers Trading along with all the other merch.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.