• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - Ride Reviews [Spoilers]

Re: [The Smiler] Ride Reviews (Spoilers!)

Does the glass floor in the shop have the ride underneath it if you understand me :twirly:

I shall write an in depth review later, but in a nutshell:

The best part is the exit.
(No, I'm not trolling, the exit is brilliant!)

So is it rough? If it is, then no problem for me when I head down in August, I'm pretty much use to it, this'll be a walk in the park for me! :twirly:

The outside seats have a hint of Gersty rattle, but the only painful bit is the exit of the cobra roll. The front inside seats are remarkably smooth.

DiogoJ42 said:
The outside seats have a hint of Gersty rattle, but the only painful bit is the exit of the cobra roll. The front inside seats are remarkably smooth.

Did you get more than one ride on it, I take it? Lucky you!

Mind if I ask why the exit is so brilliant? I'm dying to know, I swear. :p

Overall good. Less intense than Nemesis, but more exciting than Air and actually a decent length. Bit of a pause with the vertical lifthill in the middle. Not too rough, but does hurt the shoulders on the inversions, OTSR could do with more padding. Trains were in sync on the lift hills, so you could 'race' the other train to the top.

Liked the downstairs of the station. Employees have a costume. Queue a cattle pen, but not too bad as under ride. WiFi does not work in the queue and no 3G in my phone in the queue either, would
have been a nicer wait with WiFi working. Queue seems to move relatively quickly, I got on in less than 3 hours and I started queuing at the Towers. Single rider queue was closed today. Queue line fencing was still wet, boy behind me in queue got paint all over his clothes and some got on my bag. Queue line shop like 13 is deliberately too close to the ride building for finishing anything you have bought before going inside.

There is an ambulant disabled queue line, but it includes some steps with no handrail. Also there is a bar to step over to enter the ride trains. There is another disabled entry through the exit for those that can't do stairs.

Energetic_starfish said:
wasnt worth the wait,very over rated,give me air over this hands down everytime

May I ask why? This looks to be far more exiting then air!

Energetic_starfish said:
wasnt worth the wait,very over rated,give me air over this hands down everytime
I know we're all entitled to opinions, but I would advise giving your opinion a little more substance just so that people understand why you think this and don't assume you're just looking for a reaction :)

So The Smiler... here are my thoughts and i will try to break them up into distinct areas.

X-Sector

Well certainly the ride has revitalized an aging and what i felt had become a drab area, i was concerned the Smiler would have a bit of an over-bearing impact on Oblivion. The only real place i feel this is the case is the X-Sector entrance as the speakers there play Smiler music. I love the new signs though, they don't change the style of ethos of X-Sector but to add the idea the MoJ is behind the whole area which i like as it ties it all together.

Interestingly they have got the music balance very right for the Smiler, in the area it is obvious and on the path next to Fried Chicken, HOWEVER, you can't hear it from Oblivions queue. I am really glad about this as it would have negatively effected Oblivions feel.

The rehydrator looks great from Smiler side of X-Sector and it has had Oblivion themed signage returned which is great.

Smiler Queue

A lot of time currently is spent queuing outside of X-Sector, this is primarily due to them not using all of the queue-line currently (believe there are some things still to be done to part of it). Also as the ride is only running 4 out of 5 trains the queue is a little long. I have mentioned my displeasure at the entrance feature before but we will skip past that to the experience of queing.

Obviously the whole thing is a cattlepen, yet it doesn't feel as oppressive as many cattlepens. For a start when you in the queue the Marmaliser is damn HUGE. And really impressive as a theming feature. Also you are completely enclosed by this mad amount of track with trains whizzing only feet above your head. The music is catchy and in the first half of the queue you have the Marmaliser screens and in the second half of the queue two huge screens play to the queue, it also moves constantly even though it wasn't on full capacity.

I know many where concerned about the metal roof on the queue but when you are under the ride it's very understandable why they had to and not a lot of the queue has it so it really is minimally noticable. From a theming point of view some of the optical illusions are cool but the chevrons on the floor look rushed and it would have been nice to have had more theming dotted around.

A monitor near the entrance to the building is quite amusing as it lists the potential side effects of the Smiler process (intermittent flatulence is one).

WARNING VERY SPOILERY BIT (but your in a spoiler topic)

After wandering around the queue outdoors you enter the building to a mini cattlepen in a very dark room, yet this room has PROJECTION MAPPING. Now i am not going to say this is the best projection mapping i have ever seen but its very good and certainly adds a bit of entertainment as you reach your final stage of queuing. I really liked this room and felt it added to the whole atmosphere of the ride and obviously it impressed a lot of the GP as projection mapping has not been used much in UK theme parks.

The baggage hold area is nice (if a little eccentric in its theming) and the stairs up the station are really well decorated too.

Station

The only really disappointing part of the inside of the building is the station, i get what they where aiming for (clinical) but its just a tad bland. I like the lights though and the dispatch sequence.

The Ride

Okay so the ride....

So you set off with a "Join us" and some lights and smoke, and go immediately into the right hand drop. There is lots of smoke down here and the strobes. The first inversion is very slick for being in such a cramped space and then you progress into the lift-hill approach. This i felt was cute and the audio was great but it is a part of the ride like the station that could have been amazing with more money.... But its not another Air-Tunnel :D

The first hill is nippy and then you into the first half, the elements come at you thick and fast yet its amazingly well paced for an inversion monster. The Marmaliser makes for some great head-choppers (more noticeable at the front). The first half is very smooth though the airtime hill at this point is nice but not punchy (but gave a great bit of pace to the ride).

You then zip into the mid-breaks and into the vertical lift. There is some simple audio and video here which is nice (though you miss a lot of it at the front). Then its up the 2nd lift-hill, the second half of the ride is a step up from the first which is great. The airtime hill here is much more punchy and great fun (the trims do work but you don't notice them). The second half is much more intense and exciting than the first though it is the only part of the ride that is a little rough (though i never once got a head-ache). The final two inversions are fantastic and then you finish.

Exit

So you arrive back in the station, you now belong to the Smiler and you exit up the rainbow stairs into a wacky corridor, this is a great addition to have an exit pathway that takes a good few minutes to navigate. The wall theming is all warped and full of illusions (and some projections), though one part of the exit route is a little X: No way out. Overall the exit is a great addition and interestingly the music which in the queue-line has a distorted quality becomes really melodious in the exit and shop. It kinda gives the idea that you are now "corrected".

The Shop

I;m not a shop geek but this is one of the best themed shops i have seen at a Merlin park, its really well presented and has lots of interesting features such as a video in the style of a MoJ - QVC. There are also some interactive screens.

Conclusion

I can't see how with the space it's in the actual roller coaster could be any better, its well paced, exciting and a full-out Thrill beast. If you want to be picky you can find fault in the theming, though it is certainly the best themed ride they have installed since Hex. It is already operating well even though not on full capacity and the GP lapped it up. It's certainly the most impressive thing i have seen Towers do since Oblivion.

9/10 (Not perfect but bloody good).

I don't know if you want it, but I did some POV video today in the name of science ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH-13BDBOUc#ws

TEAM EDIT: We do not condone the filming of POV video's on rides unless they have been authorised and set up by Alton Towers. Doing so contravenes the safety rules of the ride and breaches the rules of the park. We do not advise anyone to film a POV or take photos on any ride where personal belongings are not allowed. In the name of free speech though, we will allow things to be posted. ~Scott

God, where to start. This ride is nothing short of incredible. It really is worthy of a place in Alton's top coasters. For me it beats off all the other coasters to be top dog, hands down.

The queueline, no mater how horrific it may look, actually wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting. Even with a train down the line is very similar to those of Th13teen or Duel, where you always seem to be moving forward. For me, this makes up for any shortcomings in throughput, as the constant feeling of progression really offsets any long periods of time.

The interaction between the ride and the queueline is incredible. The track comes so low if you jumped up with an arm stretched you'd probably be able to grab it (Where it not for the meshing :p)! When those trains are thundering around it the experience is just priceless.

Up close you really appreciate how huge the Marmaliser and ride in general are. It's a monster of a coaster, which makes the likes of Rita look like a Go-Gator if you ask me :p When the queue takes you up by the first lift you really get a sense of how high this ride is. Both lift hills are gigantic, with drops to match.

As well as the trains and ride the Marmaliser and queueline screens provide some entertainment to pass the time. I really like the use of LED boards as oppose to standard TV screens. They are much better suited to the ride, and far more effective. In particular the screen before entering the indoor queueline is quite amusing. Side effects of the process apparently include, fat eyes, limp wrists, uncontrollable drooling, and hair loss, to name but a few :p

Once inside the station building you enter a darkened room in which several pieces of projection mapping take place. I'll be honest, I wasn't really blown away by this. Don't get me wrong, it looks alright, and it makes nice theming, but it does sort of feel a bit there for the sake of it. Maybe with a couple more bits adding it could set it off. Not even projection mapping, just a couple of static props. Either way though it's still not badly done, and it's by no means a poor part of the ride.

The baggage hold seems to be well positioned, unlike another coaster a bit further up the park *glares at Th13teen* :p It feels much less of a free-for-all, and the queueline is clearly well thought out here. In this room there's also the random paint rollers on the roof! I'm not sure what exactly these are meant to mean, but I like to think that's a bit of an ironic poke at the ride itself as if to say "Yeah, we're still only just finishing it...". I did laugh when I saw it :p

The station itself is really quite unusual if you ask me. It has room for two trains to be parked up at once, but only one train is on and off loaded at a time. Although at least this means you won't get wet in the rain waiting for the station to clear! Inside it's very much like the mockup seen in the game. It's very... White! I see the look they're going for, but personally it might be nice to just break up some of the blank, longer walls with a couple of the yellow pipes or similar.

The trains are very comfortable and roomy, and I really like the basket sort of look they have to them. It's very befitting to the theme. Being quite tall I did find on my first ride that it can press on the shoulders a bit if locked too tightly. However, just leaving it at a slightly higher level on the following ride seemed to solve this. The OTSR's are really quite comfortable, and the pads either side of the head are very soft and spongy (Not that this ride needs them).

I really like the dispatch sequence. It's very simple in that it's just some sound effects and a few bight lights (Seemingly inspired by those seen in operating theatres) suddenly flash on, illuminating the train as it moves off. But it works! It's proof that in some cases you don't need some fancy pants, all singing, all dancing effects to have an impact. Simple, but effective.

Now that first drop is brilliant. It's a lot higher than I expected, and the trains being so agile it really belts down it before hurling you into that first roll. This element is taken at the perfect speed if you ask me, providing a brilliant mix of speed, whilst offering some serious hang time. Upon approaching the first lift some nice lighting effects take place, which again, are reasonably simple, but very effective. And the audio? My god it's loud! Even with my hearing loss it's still deafening :p The whole thing provides a nice interval while the lift hill readies itself for the train, and it's much more fun than just sitting in the dark.

After a smooth but slow assent it's time for The Smiler to show you what it's made of, and my word it doesn't disappoint! No sooner has the back row cleared the lift the ride hurtles down the first dip. If the timing is right this is a really nice duelling point, as both trains glide past each other in opposite directions.

From here it's a fast paced, forceful ride, with some very snappy transitions. However, it manages to negotiate all the elements without the slightest hint of roughness. Yes, it rattles a little, but this is only really noticeable on the back rows, and it's still far from unpleasant. If anything it adds to the thrill of the ride.

Personally, I found that the ride is so fast paced you don't have time to take in The Marmaliser or its elements really, aside from The Flasher, which offerers a serious head-chopper moment, before the train ducks out of the way, just in the nick of time!

After what feels long enough to be a coaster in its own rights the train rushes into the MCBR before the vertical climb. Here the train parks itself up waiting for the lift, and some simple video and audio effects take place. Be warned however; If you are on the front row of the train you won't be able to see the video, as the train parks itself with the front row directly under the gantry the screens are mounted on.

After a short pause at the halfway point the train inches forwards, and begins to climb skyward! This for me is one of the most intense parts! The train moves along incredibly slowly, and all this time you can't help but think that several tonnes of steel and riders shouldn't be traveling straight up in this fashion!

What feels like a lifetime later the train levels out, and it's all go once more! Once again, all the elements are handled remarkably well all things considered, and the airtime hill in the second half of the ride really cannot go unmentioned. The force that the train dives down after this is out of this world! It really grabs you and drags you down there. i can't think of any ride I have experienced which offers such a punch of force like this.

After a while the train once again hits a brake run, this time the final one, and comes smoothly to a halt. The overall ride is incredibly long, and the fact all of this is crammed into such a small space is phenomenal. It feels more like two coasters bolted together than one big one!

The ride itself as I said early is really quite comfortable. Sure, it's not quite butter smooth like Air or Th13teen, but it's damn close to it. The ride does make some very quick and snappy transitions, but they are done how they should be. As a result there's no discomfort what-so-ever, and it's a very pleasant ride. A little vibration, which is certainly more noticeable on the back rows, but nothing detrimental to the overall experience.

Once back inside and out of the train it's time to ascend the GAY Rainbow Stairs! This is where The Smiler really sets itself apart from many other rides, including Alton's top acts. 99% of rides you get off of the main attraction and just walk out into the park really, with no really conclusion as it were. Personally, I do find this a bit annoying, especially with rides which spend the rest of their time really building up the story and plot (A seemingly common trait in Madhouses especially). The Smiler changes that!

Upon entering the exit route there is a very different feel to the attraction. The sinister audio is replaced with a happy, upbeat rendition. The dark blacks and harsh whites become more vibrant colours forming friendly, welcoming patterns. It's essentially the opposite of everything else in the ride! Which, of course, is what Marmalisation aims to do! This conclusion to the ride really makes it feel complete, and it brings the whole experience to a nice and neat end.

After collecting any belongings from the baggage return you them make your way down the twisting exit corridor, where several animated, projected Mr Twirly's and other tranquil patterns grace the walls. The ride still has one or two little tricks up its sleeve though, such as fake corridors for example, just to throw some final disorienting elements into the ride.

So all in all? A real world class attraction. It's everything a true Towers ride should be! It's unique, it's grand, it's detailed, it's over the top, it's camp, it's crazy. It's everything which makes Alton Towers, Alton Towers! I for one am over the moon with the ride. It really is the complete package, and shows that although we might not realise it, the magic of Alton Towers lives on. It's a real exhibition of both park and Studios minds and designers at their finest. Congratulations to all those involved on delivering a true world class ride. It's paid off! It's taken a long time to get to this point, and it's certainly been a bumpy road, but it was all worth it in the end :D

SW8 is going to have a lot to live up to!

SMILE. FOREVER

Queue

Fine, functional, totally painless. Watching the trains zoom around overhead really builds up the anticipation!

Ride

The first half is peppered with awesome intense bits (notably the bottom of the first drop, the airtime hill, and the batwing), and really made my head spin. Luckily, the short pause you get on the brakes is just enough to recover before round 2! The second inverted drop is less intense than the first, but my god the rollover is completely nuts, and by far the most intense thing in the park. The second airtime hill is higher and a fair bit longer than the first, ejector air all the way over it. The cobra roll is pretty standard, save for a pretty big Ultimate-esque jolt on the second half of it. You don't bang your head or anything, but you do have to brace for it a little. Then, you're smashed into the weird curved double-corkscrew thing (which is bonkers in like every dimension), and when you hit the final brakes you feel 100% satisfied that the thing was worth it, not horrifically short-changed like Stealth or Rita, or bored to death like on Ultimate, it's literally the perfect length.

Exit

Awesome. The ride as a whole just gets better and better from start to finish, including the amazing walk from the station to the shop. You'd really have to ride it to understand! The shop is likewise brilliant, they set up their own QVC-style shopping channel and everything!

On the whole

MINT.

Get there. Ride it. Unlike Th13teen where you wonder how the hell £15m went into it, you look at The Smiler and see that every penny has been maxed out like a good'un. Srsly it's epic.

Decided to move these into a seperate post and add some more, from TS facebook page:

401870_488176334586149_1512089684_n.jpg

969378_488176337919482_852339962_n.jpg

931319_488178787919237_420481308_n.jpg

943151_488191154584667_1190910934_n.jpg

7907_488190664584716_677181854_n.jpg

725_488178924585890_107717795_n.jpg

383509_488190017918114_542997563_n.jpg

969597_488190014584781_142512636_n.jpg

487248_488189097918206_809566044_n.jpg

983699_488178874585895_1543896517_n.jpg

485619_488178791252570_450177312_n.jpg

379700_488177851252664_1040955271_n.jpg

575378_488193201251129_906757335_n.jpg

971744_488193584584424_250572395_n.jpg

252337_488193651251084_1591879368_n.jpg

484867_488193097917806_1770836177_n.jpg

944162_488193107917805_1780923021_n.jpg

Well then, where do we begin?

I spent two and a half hours cooking outside a ride area, and then underneath a massive sprawl of track to ride a twice delayed coaster. Was it worth it? Yes.

I'm glad that the signs at the entrance to X Sector have changed to accommodate The Smiler. Whilst I still believe the entire thing isn't really at home in X Sector, that's what makes it work. It's a zany twist on what is meant to be a sinister area, therefore contributing to the overall mystery of X Sector. The area music was fantastic, plenty of bass and the perfect volume level for the ride. It really helped add to the presence of The Smiler. However, standing in a queue cooking for two and a half hours waiting for it to open and listening to it has maybe taken its toll. That wretched theme is stuck in my head and will most likely be there for the next couple of days. But, this is probably the original intention, and it works.

The queue line itself. Having a minor case of claustraphobia, I've expressed my concerns in the past. However, upon riding for a second time and actually spending a while in the queue line has squashed any doubts I originally had. I didn't feel like I was caged in or trapped at any point, and despite there being a mesh roof throughout several sections of the queue, the view of the ride is incredible! Seeing it being built was one thing, but actually standing in that pit with the entire structure towering over me was something else. There are so many areas where brilliant images can be captured, and I look forward to seeing some of the images people have taken in due time. Whilst overall it is a cattle pen in various areas, it'll never be as bad as Rita ;)

The concrete block of a station I have slated in various formats over the past couple of months has finally gained my seal of approval. Yes, it has one hell of an ugly exterior, but inside, it houses the best ride building in the park, and possibly the country I have experienced. The interior of The Smiler's station has blown me away.

The projection mapping room. Whilst it contains more cattle pen, it's a nice little addition. Obviously I wasn't expecting standards of what Disney have produced, but it really was surprising with the effort that had gone into this room! The only negative I had is that on the second time riding, one of the projectors appeared to be slightly out of place, ruining one of the illusions, albeit by a small margin.

I admired the way that the baggage hold is split into two sections, preventing guests who are yet to ride from interacting with guests who have just ridden. The lighting in this section was also particularly to my taste, and the staff jumping out and surprising people who had just emerged from the optical treatment was a nice touch. The stairs up to the station are lovely, especially with the lights that ascend along with the railings.

The station itself. Nothing really spectacular in here, quite plain, but that didn't matter. It was very different to the darkness of the projection mapping area, and the low yellow lighting of the baggage hold. The fresh smell of paint will certainly be missed in a couple of months! It was actually a lot smaller than I expected, but the small use of effects before the train embarks is great.

So. The ride itself. The first drop was fun. I can't really say anything more on it, as it was literally just fun. I knew the heartline roll was approaching, yet it still managed to catch me off. A brief period of hang time I believe was also felt, but for me personally, that worked rather than the train tackling this element quickly. Unfortunately, I believe the washing machine element was turned off today, so that left a tickle of disappointment! But in all seriousness, the segment after the heartline roll left me with a raised eyebrow and the question of "what was the point?". It didn't contribute anything to the experience for me.

The top of the first lift. That view is truly captivating. The lawns, the lake, the Towers. It is simply an incredible, unique and an almost unbeatable view. Just a shame Goalstriker is set to the left of this to ruin such a beautiful image. Not that you have long to admire it, as you're dropping off into the first inverted drop. The pacing through this was perfect, and yet more was to come. The transition into the pretzel loop was perfect, not a single moment of Gertsache throughout this entire element. Onwards, towards The Flasher! It was hardly noticeable, although it certainly served as the best headchopper on the ride. No air time from the hill was achieved, although the arrival of the train to the bottom of the following pit really kept me in my seat! The batwing I feel was dragged out for a second or two, too long. The following corkscrew however redeemed this with what I feel was further perfect sequencing.

The videos over the half way point again didn't really stand out to me. I was far too interested in seeing if we would match the train climbing the first lift to have a perfect duelling session, something I had only seen once or twice throughout the waiting game for the ride to open. Having not done a vertical lift since Rip Ride Rockit [with that being the one and only vertical lift I have ever ascended], it feels great to finally have one much closer to home. The perfect weather really helped this climb break the ride up. However once at the top, the second segment was about to begin.

The second inverted drop felt a lot quicker than it's predecessor at the end of the first lift hill, as did the transition into the sea serpent. Although I was far too busy looking forward to the following air time hill to care about the slightly faster transitions than I would have liked. Unfortunately, no air time was encountered, and another spine crunching moment on returning to the bottom of the following pit. Would the cobra roll serve more excitement than the bat wing?

What followed for me, is the worst part of the ride. The transition from the cobra roll into the final corkscrew was the first moment of paint for me on the ride. It felt far too quick, but not as quick as the corkscrew itself. The pacing on this section was a really bone shaker, and I appear to have taken a disliking to this section of the ride. Expecting a repeat performance on the final inversion, I was happy to be served the complete opposite, in what felt like a nice pop of hang time on the way out and back onto the breaks.

Off the ride and back to the baggage point, and here is where I have to give maximum credit to whoever designed the station. As Diogo has said, the exit really is the best bit of the ride! The illusion right after collecting your bags which looks as if you should head right, when the corridor actually heads left is fantastic. The following corridor is so random and yet finely detailed on the walls. It really created a fine atmosphere to what it would be like to be actually converted to seeing a happier world.

The shop itself was a bit of a let down for me. I couldn't take standing to watch The Smiler shop TV, despite Pete putting on a nice performance. Although the general atmosphere aside from this was brilliant, especially the entire corner for purchasing merch which seemed set aside from the main shop itself. And getting to exit to see two trains duelling on the knot really summed the experience up for me.

The trains themselves. Having never ridden a Eurofighter and told they were similar, I had no idea what to expect. They aren't exactly the last word in comfort, and at no point did I feel like I could sit back and relax. My spine isn't exactly in the best shape it could be in, but the seats really didn't feel like they would offer a fully comfortable ride experience. I had no issues with the restraints however, other than the unexpected stiffness I discovered when trying to pull one down on the first go, although this should have been foreseeable to myself as they are new after all. But overall, I'm thankful to have not suffered the legendary Gertsache, although it'll be interesting to see how different the ride will be when it settles in.

So overall, my main question was, would it beat Nemesis? Nemesis is my second favourite ride in the world, just behind Manta, so it'd have to be a bold statement made by The Smiler to beat Nemesis. I still haven't been able to answer that question after two rides today, and one ride on Nemesis. Whilst The Smiler certainly has a lot more value in terms of ride time, the brute force of Nemesis is something The Smiler will never be able to match. I'll have to ride it a couple more times to make the decision. However, with that said, The Smiler is truly an incredible ride, and despite the delays, I tip my current non existing hat to Towers for in the end, pulling off a spectacular new addition to their line up!

Also, a big thanks to TST member Ellie for batching us to the front upon a polite request for the first ride! It really made the difference :)

This is probably going to sound a bit soppy but we are theme park geeks for a reason.... every year a few rides make us go wow and say "This is worth the wait".... every few years a ride solidifies its place in theme park history.

The Smiler has certainly put itself in the former, how it ages and whether Merlin address the minor theming issues will determine if it makes the latter.

As much of a Towers fan i am, the Smiler has been the first coaster at Towers to even come close to either since Oblivion (Thorpe can put Stealth and Swarm in the wow category since, though neither have proved the long term test). Though i appreciate the technological advance Air had.

I suppose we have to await the test of time to see if The Smiler will be a flash-in-the-pan thing or long lasting.

Dave said:
I suppose we have to await the test of time to see if The Smiler will be a flash-in-the-pan thing or long lasting.

For some reason, I love the idea that in ten years time, AT enthusiasts will be lamenting that they don't build rides like The Smiler any more.