• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - Ride Reviews [Spoilers]

[The Smiler] Ride Reviews (Spoilers!)

TheMan said:
James said:
TheMan said:
Sorry this annoys me.

10 WHOLE minutes for you. A lifetime of disability for that person.

This is a new ride with new batching procedures. Come on T. Don't join the swathes of the ignorant or next time someone says "they waste valuable commons time in a recession debating gay marriage" and you have a pop, I may remind you of it.

You cannot be in a group prejudiced against, moan, and then prejudice against another because they are getting to grips with the batching for DISABLED people.

To be fair though, it would make more sense to balance out guests for each queue. So let x amount of disabled guests through then x amount of main queue guests then x amount of disabled guests etc... Something a bit more balanced to allow guests on both sides to feel like the queue they are in is moving at a decent pace.

Although that's highly dependant on what rules staff have to follow with queue management.

Sorry no excuses for me, I will wait 10 minutes in the queue whilst a new ride gets to grips with its disabled policy. For goodness sake, we are talking about people who are disabled, not a fast track queue. Is it REALLY worth mentioning given their lives probably mean they don't have the opportunity or freedom to attend when they wish?
I'm thoroughly understanding. The point wasn't that I don't think they should go ahead in front, as I understand why that queue exists. However, my point was the fact that the member of staff neglected to batch correctly and instead just allowed them to stream through, literally, in their MASSIVE groups. I get the whole thing about it, I do, but come on, the queues, regardless of title, be it fastrack, single rider, disabled or normal, SHOULD be batched fairly, and work with each other rather than one taking the main queue for ten minutes, whilst the rest stands stationary. That isn't me being rude, nor ignorant. That's just.... Normal?

How about Fastrack queue for The Smiler be allowed to go through without being stopped, for ten minutes. Would that be acceptable?

(This isn't me being rude, just for the record)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Re: [The Smiler] Ride Reviews (Spoilers!)

T said:
How about Fastrack queue for The Smiler be allowed to go through without being stopped, for ten minutes. Would that be acceptable?

No, but that's totally different to the disabled queue. I'd rather have to wait 10 minutes longer for a ride than be disabled.

Adam said:
T said:

No, but that's totally different to the disabled queue. I'd rather have to wait 10 minutes longer for a ride than be disabled.

It's not as if its a choice though is it, that's quite a silly thing to say!

T said:
Adam said:
T said:

You think? Well maybe you're right. But personally I don't think it was a silly thing.

What my point is, is that these people have, like you said, no choice of being disabled. So personally I'd gladly wait an extra ten minutes so their lives, which have almost certainly been worsened by the disabilities they had no choice in getting, can be made more enjoyable by not having to wait so long to ride a rollercoaster. Perks like these make their lives more enjoyable, and I'm the sort of person who loves to make the less fortune happier. Maybe you're not that kind of person, I don't know. You probably are, but then surely you'd have no issues with waiting that tiny bit longer so someone less fortune than you are can enjoy their lives more? ;)

That may sound like an aggressive, arrogant, snobby reply but that's my honest beliefs, and I'm not the sort of person to shy from speaking my mind. I don't mean to sound aggressive, so sorry if I do mate. :p

---------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, enough about that, from all these reviews the Smiler sounds amazing, and I seriously can't wait to ride it. Although a bit sad if there's no front row queue. Can you ask to sit front row or do you just get given a row? :)

Does anyone have photos or videos of the smiler getting stuck on the vertical climb yesterday, would have been around 645, I was in the 2nd row and want a photo of it :)

Adam said:
T said:
Adam said:
T said:

You think? Well maybe you're right. But personally I don't think it was a silly thing.

What my point is, is that these people have, like you said, no choice of being disabled. So personally I'd gladly wait an extra ten minutes so their lives, which have almost certainly been worsened by the disabilities they had no choice in getting, can be made more enjoyable by not having to wait so long to ride a rollercoaster. Perks like these make their lives more enjoyable, and I'm the sort of person who loves to make the less fortune happier. Maybe you're not that kind of person, I don't know. You probably are, but then surely you'd have no issues with waiting that tiny bit longer so someone less fortune than you are can enjoy their lives more? ;)

That may sound aggressive, arrogant, snobby reply but that's my honest beliefs, and I'm not the sort of person to shy from speaking my mind. I don't mean to sound aggressive, so sorry if I do mate. :p

---------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, enough about that, from all these reviews the Smiler sounds amazing, and I seriously can't wait to ride it. Although a bit sad if there's no front row queue. Can you ask to sit front row or do you just get given a row? :)
First off, I know you post in a good way, as do I. I probably sound like a moaning little schoolchild, however it's one those things where you actually NEED to see it to appreciate the scale I'm which it occurs. I'm not going to dive in to the whole disability debate as has been raised on these boards in the past, but this afternoon was, in my opinion, an odd way to do it. Sure, they should enjoy their ride. I have no problem waiting whatsoever. HOWEVER, it was HOW it was done by the ride staff. The disabled queue was MONUMENTAL and I overheard several people saying at the top of the steps down, that they were "glad their son has ADHD", and another commented that it's a good thing that he was epileptic. If we are going THAT deep then I think I'm well within my right to state my annoyance that the queue is being abused by a disabled person taking their ENTIRE party on board. But, I am sure that's for another topic, one of which I won't be creating!

RE: Front row. You're assigned seats, no front row, nor can you request it either.

This topic is for reviews about The Smiler, please keep to that. If you want to discus Alton Towers disabled guest policy then that should be done in another topic.

To try and disprove a few people's notions that I don't "get" the Smiler, simply because my review wasn't glistening, I'll try and go into more detail about the footage on the videos and what I thought about it all.

The first video screen I talked about was the one before you enter the projection mapping room. The fake disclaimers such as being told not to ride if you have a "yellow headache" or "throbbing earlobes" is clearly an attempt at humour and an obvious link to the disclaimers read out by the Lord of Darkness in the Oblivion queue. But the disclaimers given in the Oblivion queue don't last too long so as not to overdo it. Smiler's video on the other hand keeps showing more and more and you quickly forget the others that the video presents because of how many it tries to cram in, as though they were trying their hardest to make sure you find it funny.

Compare it to someone saying the same kinds of meaningless jokes over and over again. The random nature of one or two to begin with is funny, but if they say more which are similar and continue with the same 'random' gags, the first few lose their effect (just look at the way in which the Monty Python 'Spam' song can divide people :p ). Its usually a child that churns out the same or similar jokes (or Family Guy just doing something weird when they don't know how to move the plot along, etc...), but here I'd expected a little more variation. That's not to say it's all bad as focusing individually on things such as a "yellow headache" do fit the context of the ride as there's clearly no such thing but because it implies that there is, besides the fact that it's obscure (which would probably create a little tension for a few who may not "get" it, as some might say), it also highlights the human testing and research base theme for X-Sector by linking the ride with the field of medical research, just like Oblivion does.

It is relevant and it is humourous, but where I dislike the video is due to the way in which there's no variation. Where the Lord of Darkness differs is that he also laughs about people who may actually be afraid of the ride, the way he uses unconventional insults such as calling people who may crumble at the thought of experiencing Oblivion for themselves as "basket cases" and the way in which they relate the weight of a shuttle to that of an elephant. If Oblivion's video kept describing different random things that weigh the same as a shuttle, would the original elephant link be as funny? Maybe, but the effect would be weakened and it becomes clear that they're trying to tell you that THIS IS THE FUNNY BIT SO YOU HAVE TO LAUGH NOW. :p

Now on to the shop videos. The reason before why I said that I think they're not quite as funny as they perhaps could have been was the way in which they focus on products far more than they should. We're in a shop, we get it. We're surrounded by the products you're showing so you don't need to focus on them for so long. It might not have been so bad, had they not done the mirrors adding products on to people stood in front of them, but the combination strikes me as a little odd. There's a big, big focus on products. I think more could have been done to vary the videos so that this wouldn't have stood out so much for me and others who were watching them whilst we waited for the ORPs to be printed. Perhaps adverts showing a more 'joyful way of life', advertising other aspects of being a "smiling advocate" and hinting at some kind of reason for being corrected such a 'special project' being worked on for all advocates (to also further add mystery and depth to the Smiler and X-Sector theme) might have been more effective, but all we really get is a QVC style channel. It's funny in itself, and an original idea for a theme park, but again, I think the idea, much like the yellow, smiles and general concept of the Smiler itself, is focused on far too much, as if the creators became so absorbed in it that they forgot about variation.

Too much of something weakens the effect it can have on people, hence why Fawlty Towers ( ;) ) was only 12 episodes long rather than 50.

But as I've already mentioned, the Smiler's theme concept is definitely a unique one and it's Alton Towers down to a T and I doubt you'd find a ride with a similar idea anywhere else. Unlike Th13teen, I'm don't doubt Smiler deserving the 'SW' status (even though that's also something people laugh about because it's just a code and nothing else, apparently). Smiler could be more refined and some of the satirical and comedic elements could have been a little more refined or subtle (i.e. the washing machine animation blip on the Marmaliser being a short and simple nod to the enthusiast community who mulling around a hypothesised rotating element that would have clearly been impractical and pointless).

I do stand by what I said, but that doesn't mean that I think it's an awful ride. Surely an 8.6/10 rating is more than enough evidence that I liked it? :p

BigAl said:
The first video screen I talked about was the one before you enter the projection mapping room. The fake disclaimers such as being told not to ride if you have a "yellow headache" or "throbbing earlobes" is clearly an attempt at humour and an obvious link to the disclaimers read out by the Lord of Darkness in the Oblivion queue. But the disclaimers given in the Oblivion queue don't last too long so as not to overdo it. Smiler's video on the other hand keeps showing more and more and you quickly forget the others that the video presents because of how many it tries to cram in, as though they were trying their hardest to make sure you find it funny.

I would agree with you on that if those jokes where done on all of the TV screens or where audio based, but its one very small screen that you can only see in one small part of the queue. So it doesn't get repetitive as you can only see it for a short time and in that time people will only glance at it. The Lord of Darkness videos are different as the humour is spoken so you always have the guests attention to some extent. With a scrolling video though people will only give it intermittent attention so to get across the humour a scrolling bar works fine, it is also a tiny part of the content of the screen in question.

The areas of less than amazing exist on this ride (entrance, station exterior, station interior and queue lack of theming). People shouldn't think its a perfect product by any stretch. Though i think the roller-coaster is so good on its own which we haven't had since Nemesis that people are more forgiving than they usually are.

Appreciate what you're saying, Big Al, and of course you're entitled to your opinion, but I guess if there was ever a theme in which repetition and 'overdoing' an idea is justified, it's a theme based on brain washing and mind control, as The Smiler is.

In this context, the repetition and overuse of ideas works brilliantly. The shopping channel idea is very clever because it allows AT to have their cake and eat it- they satirise the brainwashing and manipulating approach of these channels, whilst also promoting the products in their shop. And fair play to them! It works well.

Its a great ride. Things need tidying up and I agree the station is bland inside, but the overall experience is very very good. Shame about the train vibration though

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Where can I see photos of the rides exit? I'm really intrigued now!

AirFAN said:
Where can I see photos of the rides exit? I'm really intrigued now!

Here's one of the optical illusions on the exit wall just after the bag collect (the corridor actually turns left but it's painted to look as if you should turn right): (photo by Danny)

922912_10151521441849387_1824391761_n.jpg

Has another considerably 'small' person ridden The Smiler and found it incredibly uncomfortable? :S
Being around the 5ft mark and not very large, this ride was actually really painful. You're clamped in by your thighs (pressure on my legs REALLY hurt), my shoulders come nowhere near the front or top of the restraint and my arms really do not fit comfortably anywhere.
The hang time on the inversions (looking at you, indoor and inverted drops) is incredibly painful on the lap, shoulders, hips and biceps. The ride itself rattled like crazy and was jolty on the back rows, but not so bad at the front. If it's smoother on the front, I've still got the issue of being thrown around or clenched in by the restraint!
By ride close, Smiler was making that awful grinding/screeching noise around the Staffs' Knot and do not get me started on how painful that was back row.

Tell me to man up, but walking out the station wincing in pain is not enjoyable. Neither is waking up purple and achey. :(

That said, I'll still ride it and throw my arms up in the air TRYING to enjoy it but complaining the next morning.:D

Ride aside, the theming and minor details are excellent. The main queue wasn't bad if you have a large group of friends to chat and mess around with to pass the time. The queue itself moved at a consistent pace and you had a new angle of the coaster look at. The indoor queue was entertaining enough to look at all the projection mapping. The station I found was a little bare but wasn't bad. The trains lighting up, the barrier moving aside, the mist and the audio playing caused excitement, especially on the first ride.
The rainbow stairs are the highlight. The corridors and music were awesome and really gave that feeling that you had truly been 'corrected'.

My only little niggle with this ride is queueing with large crowds of people crammed into that cattlepen and the other queues inside the station really did make me feel quite anxious.

All in all a good solid addition that I feel won't age very well. The theming details will be ignored when damaged, there is already graffiti after the flaps before the inside queueline and it'll be interesting to see if the track will ever get repainted.

Panda said:
Has another considerably 'small' person ridden The Smiler and found it incredibly uncomfortable?

I am also 5 foot and small (ish)! I rode three times, the first time on Friday I was on the front row and found the ride to be incredibly smooth, although I totally agree about the restraints on your thighs, mine were very tender on Saturday!

On Saturday we rode fairly early in the morning and were on the second row, now I found this totally different. I was thrown about a lot and found it quite painful in the same way I find Saw painful - I have to ride it with gritted teeth. I was, however, very hungover so I'm not sure it is an entirely fair assessment! We rode again in the afternoon, and a combination of many paracetamol and another go on front row made for a much smoother ride than the morning, I felt a 'phew' feeling, as I was really worried that The Smiler was going to be another Saw. It has its moments and my head banged on the restraints a couple of times but fingers crossed it won't be as bad as that second ride again!

As a larger gentleman, I found the restraints to be very comfortable. Being held by the lap is preferable for me. But even being a fat bugger, I had plenty of room round the torso in the OTSR.

I suppose if you are a tiny petite thing like yourself, Panda, I can see how there might be too much space to rattle around in between the seat and the restraint.

What all this goes to show, is that lap restraints would have been better. A good lap restraint (such as Mack's) can comfortably hold almost any size and build of rider as long as they are over the hight restriction.

I've always thought that the biggest problem with restraint comfort is ride hosts who staple you in. No offence guys, but you really should know that doing that causes pain. There is no need for it, a loose restraint is still perfectly safe.
Then, of course, when you are large like me, a lot of hosts seem to think I'm deliberately trying to have a loose restraint, and they really ram it down. Often leaving me with restricted breathing for the next few minutes. ::)

Can't you put your hands on the lap, when you're being loaded in, to give yourself some extra space? Or would that cause more rattling?

:twirly: Hi all just got back home from Towers, busy day and enjoyed the smiler twice ;)

We arrived at 9.20am and headed straight for The smiler, the queue was up the pathway to the towers and the staff were saying it would be a 2 hour wait :eek:, the actual ride didn't start testing until just after 10am ?

So the wait started nervously watching the ride in front go around several times empty, it was pleasing to see the first full trains go around the track at about 10.35am, it wasn't until then that the queue started to trickle forward down toward the main entrance ( the buzz started ) I arrived at the proper queue line at about 11am this is when you see the real size, speed and force the ride has to offer, flying past only feet above you in all directions gets the heart racing and only adds to the excitement, snaking up, down, left and right finally getting to the indoor section of the queue knowing that you are only minutes away from the next BIG thing !

The 3D projection part makes the wait a little easier and is a nice different aspect added to the experience, then it's up the stairs to the station which I think is perfect setting to the clinical theme of the ride. So a few more minutes and I was ushered to bay 1 of the station :D, I sat down and pulled the comfy restraints to biting point and whoosh !

The smiler ticks all the right boxes, I would give it 9.5 out of 10 >:D and say it is the best ride at Towers, it was well worth the wait, BUT there are a few negatives, firstly I don't think it's as smooth as some are making out, my first ride was smoother on row 1 than my second ride on row 3, it does knock you about a little :X but not too much, secondly it's only a few days old but the tickler things didn't work ::) they did later on in the day and there is a few panels on the marmaliser screens that aren't working either :'(

Highlight of the ride for me is the second time you zoom past the marmaliser past the innoculator ? As you get sprayed really did make me lose my bearings :S

Also on my 2nd ride the staff were in character trying to freak people out in the queue line, which I found amusing :p

Nick said:
Can't you put your hands on the lap, when you're being loaded in, to give yourself some extra space? Or would that cause more rattling?

Tried that, the op told me to put my hands out. The only way you could do it is by lifting your legs up or by leaning forward.