• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler/Sanctuary Marketing Material

Smileywolf

TS Member
Favourite Ride
eich mam
Hi all,

I thought about putting this in the quick questions section, but it is a bit more than that so created a new thread. Hopefully it will serve a better purpose as it may get you looking back and talking about what you liked best and least about The Smiler marketing in a bite size chunk.

I'm currently doing research into the success of the marketing campaign of "The Smiler" and was wondering if you could help me out a little? I've spent a very tiring and eyeball watering 9+ hours scanning through the archived marketing thread (and attachments such as the sheep, Westminster clock tower projection, Leeds train station, AR maps and images etc.) on here getting all bits and pieces of promotion during end of 2012 into 2013 that were still available and wondered if anyone by chance has got any images of:
  • Leaflets
  • Direct mail
  • Newspaper clippings
  • Other bits of marketing material however small (such as the car window stickers) that contributed to their success of bringing in higher visitor numbers/ Raising awareness.
On the off-chance does anyone know how long the appeal lasts on a ride such as The Smiler years wise, before it stops having a positive impact of visitor numbers. (I know that is a hard one for anyone to assess.)

Also does anyone know how long the operation of the Sanctuary lasted and what use was it to the Smiler? (I know there's some sort of link but I only went in it once during the Halloween preview in 2012(?) so can remember very little detail).

So many questions, I thank you kindly for reading.

Chamoan!

Sanctuary has thus far run for 3 years. 2012 SF, 2013 season opening until a short while before The Smiler opened, and 2014 SF.

Any good?

eba62a0b6c81e8e639f039fb9e2cfcc8.jpg

Cheers, I've already got myself one of the stickers and the article from the Metro is accessible. Thanks for going out of your way to help though, it is appreciated.

Chamoan!

I've got a lot of stuff hoarded away from the marketing period. I'll try and dig it out for you next week (I believe there's a Sun pullout lurking around somewhere, some business cards for the game and other such delights).

Give me a week or so :)

I don't have any:
Inflatable dinosaurs
Fudge
Pink elephants

;)

Smashing, ta boyo! I've just got half way through at the moment and what I've managed to get me hands on so far has helped a fair bit and hopefully should help me achieve my aim so don't go out of your way to gather these if it's troublesome.

Funnily enough, I shall be on the look out for pink elephant and black devil scented inflatable fudge marketing material for another project later on this year, so if you do so happen to find any bits and pieces regarding anything to do with that, then that would be grand!

Chamoan!

Last edited: