• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Towers - Future Usage

Thameslink Rail

TS Member
Favourite Ride
The Smiler
Hi everyone, I have decided to start this thread because of discussion in the Hex thread about the Towers usage and discussion on the General Discussion thread about the Towers being closed.
It is a shame that for most of the season the park centrepiece largely stands empty and usually closed to the public. I understand that in the past the Towers would be open until the end of the summer holidays giving the park September to prepare for Scarefest. Personally I would like to see those areas used for some additional entertainment on peak days, this could include a fairytale style experience for young children like the Princess Tower at Warwick Castle or an exhibition on the history of Alton Towers as a residence and a leisure destination which would be an excuse to get some old artefacts such as signage, concept art and advertisments out of their archives.
What do you folks think should happen with the Towers?

A museum on either on the history of the Towers estate itself or on the history of the park would be nice.

The Towers have a future use already. A dumping ground.

The state of the former archive areas is shocking.

Sub Species is still down there - virtually untouched.

There's an entire room of props just stacked atop each other taking up masses of space.

Cheaply fitted plywood doors that are falling apart blocking off areas.

It's a heartbreaking mess to observe.

One of the greatest locations for a theme park possibly in the entire world .

Well apart from the fact they can't build anything higher than about 60ft , and even then they usually have to find ways of sound proofing it !

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I personally would like them to just open up as much of the Towers as is safe to walk around and explore. A little history exhibition would be nice also in some small part. And obviously, like I say every year, get all of that Scarefest junk out of the house and burn it all. That would be nice.

It's such a shame you can no longer climb to the top of the towers, was a fantastic view over the park.

Just having the Towers open to roam and explore would be a start. A museum seems a no brainier given the rich history of Towers. A shop located in the Towers wouldn’t be a bad idea either.

It’s a joke that the Towers are used as a dumping ground and the Scarefest mazes are left up year-round. You’re left with historic ruins closed off all year and Towers then churn out the same maze offerings each year in a now very stale Scarefest event.

Trawled round just about every last but in my naughty youth!
What they should do...like they did with the tiny coaster in Amsterdam was it?
Point up all the wobbly bits, then fit in a tailor made family coaster in and around the Towers, fillinng in a slow tour bit within the building.
Bit of effort, it could all be done on wooden sleepers and an independent framework, so nothing actually touching the building fabric.
Childhood dream plan from forty odd years ago.
That or stick the model trains, souvenir tat, planetarium and the god room back in.
I'm old me.

It's such a shame you can no longer climb to the top of the towers, was a fantastic view over the park.
I'm pretty sure I managed to do this last year no problem. It seems to just be random which parts of the towers is actually open.

Many of you will already know my feelings on what they could do with the towers as I have said this before but will give you a few of my idea's here:
  • @Thameslink Rail and me have previously had in depth discussions about the idea of them hosting banquets in the towers, I stand by this being a good idea, there are so many cool things they could do with this.
  • Open as much of the Towers as possible, with actual signs and things telling you directions and about the place
  • Have some staff doing tours, charge people for them, extra cash flow, I would pay for a good well guided tour, especially if done by somebody actually really interested in the history
  • Open it when the park is closed for visitors who just want to look round the gardens and towers without going to the theme park, again another cash flow entry.

The last three points...just no profit in them, or they would be doing it.
Costs v profits...not enough meat on the bone to be worthwhile.
Banquets could be fun though.

• Open as much of the Towers as possible, with actual signs and things telling you directions and about the place
This was actually supposed to be being done or should have been done by now. The details are there on the Staff's Moorlands planning site from a few years ago. The 'tour/walk' was supposed to share the ruins with a more tastefully stored scarefest assembly throughout different times of the year. However, there has seemingly been radio silence for the last couple of years and the ruins pretty much completely remain shut (for the majority of the time) and I would assume that most of the Scarefest stuff is still left in place as it was (maybe/maybe not). I believe that Michael Fisher (the author the Gothic Wonderland book) was going to be working on the info boards etc but he has since passed away unfortunately. However, that's absolutely no excuse for how this project has completely ground to a halt for this length of time. Someone even posted on the application a few months ago asking what the hell was going on and the last time I checked there was still no reply. I even contacted a couple of the councillors directly myself and there has been absolutely no reply, at all. It all completely stinks.