• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The World of David Walliams: General Discussion

I'm calling it now, Walliams world will be quietly canned in the next 5 years. It feels like a sticking plaster for an area towers doesn't know what to do with.

I'd like to see IPs ditched and they do something original in the area. I'd personally like to see a steam punk themed area with a flying theatre in the old theatre building and a complete reimagining of the area.
Project Horizon being a revival of Black Hole in Steampunk form please and the Dungeons building returning to is roots as a reived Around the world in 80 days! :)

Why isn't Spinball open - they could be making sure it fits in the new ride building ...... just saying
Just late on the maintenance schedule I believe, it was open throughout the Christmas event so would have been at the back of the queue. Not terribly unusual. I expect they'll be trying to get it open for Easter Weekend anyway

I think having the name of David Walliams plastered over an area is a liability for the park.
The fact he has built a career on perpetuating outdated and frankly offensive stereotypes and misogyny already feels a little awkward to say the least, and with the stream of controversies and worrying behaviour surrounding him throughout his career, I'd be very concerned that it's only a matter of time before the area becomes significantly more embarrassing than a bit of cheap theming.

If it were down to me I'd make getting this area sorted an absolute priority, but it needs real investment not yet another round of patching up and cheap props dotted around. It has a lot of potential but I'm not sure it's felt coherent as an area since Talbot Street and that's a real shame.

I think having the name of David Walliams plastered over an area is a liability for the park.
The fact he has built a career on perpetuating outdated and frankly offensive stereotypes and misogyny already feels a little awkward to say the least, and with the stream of controversies and worrying behaviour surrounding him throughout his career, I'd be very concerned that it's only a matter of time before the area becomes significantly more embarrassing than a bit of cheap theming.

If it were down to me I'd make getting this area sorted an absolute priority, but it needs real investment not yet another round of patching up and cheap props dotted around. It has a lot of potential but I'm not sure it's felt coherent as an area since Talbot Street and that's a real shame.

As much as I'd prefer something unique, I actually think a lego themed area would work well.

I don't think the vast majority of the population has the OuTrAgE against Wallliams as the tabloid press and click bait 'news' services would like to have you believe.

Evidently, his works are still highly profitable.
But his relentless stereotyping of just about every minority or disadvantaged group is well noted. Couple that with a well documented history of inappropriate behaviour, some of it frankly deeply troubling, the man is a potential ticking time bomb.

On a more personal note, I don't read tabloid news and I'm not on social media, I prefer not to be told how to feel, yet none of this has escaped my attention and I do find it outrageous that after arming an entire generation of bullies with his TV shows, he is now given free reign to arm their children.

Couple that with a well documented history of inappropriate behaviour, some of it frankly deeply troubling, the man is a potential ticking time bomb.

On a more personal note, I don't read tabloid news and I'm not on social media,

I think I have an idea of what you’re referring to here, but aside from the leaked comment that clearly forced his hand to leave BGT, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything that might be considered ‘deeply troubling’ reported about Walliams beyond social media? Which by the way, I also don’t use. ;-)

Agreed that it’s notable that the area has not been expanded. Whether that's due to Merlin's cycle of investment and perhaps their loose definition of a 'world' or cautious brand protection, I couldn't tell you.

Last edited:
I always thought it was just weird that they would have a new land/area at Alton Towers named after David Walliams. They must have got the rights relatively cheaply. Just always seemed a bit terrible to begin with.
His books have sold millions and are a fixture of classrooms across the country. On paper, it was a smart IP decision. There’s been a bit of online backlash against Walliams books in the past few years, suggesting that they are not the inclusive, celebratory tales he has promoted them as. The most notable instance being from the anti-austerity writer and activist Jack Monroe, who herself is now being “cancelled.”

As you can imagine, all of this takes place across online and media-adjacent circles. I doubt any of it is on the radar of the average Towers guest.

I always thought it was just weird that they would have a new land/area at Alton Towers named after David Walliams. They must have got the rights relatively cheaply. Just always seemed a bit terrible to begin with.

I totally agree. The guys a muppet. I still feel something big is going to come out about him. Never seems, well, trustworthy. If I can see that, then surely others can? And if that's the case you question why At (we'll, merlin, this doesn't seem a park management decision) allowed this area to go ahead.

He hadn't been cancelled when the area was developed, and I think Covid had an awful lot to do with the "failed" development of the area.
It is always amusing watching the previous generations celebrities go out of favour...I remember Simon Dee!
My favourite character of Williams was the projectile vomiting middle class elderly white racists...an entirely appropriate comedy stereotype challenge to the status quo, that isn't often mentioned in the cancellation project.
Too add, I also find him a bit of a dick, and I gave up on gangster gran after twenty minutes in a non moving queue in a very boring corridor.

Charles Lindbergh has a hotel named after him, however he was a Nazi sympathiser. I would say that David Walliams is less of a liability than that.

David Walliams makes brilliant children books which have been enjoyed by millions which some of them were made into movies so he is obviously well established in the kids market.

I always thought calling it Walliams world was a bit odd though considering his whole brand isn't just the kids market a lot of his content is for older teenagers or adults, however the controversial Little Britain is still funny and mostly gets highly rated on different websites if people give it a watch.

And the people familiar with him will clearly realize you're not going to get Little Britain the ride it's Gangsta granny steals the crown jewels (not Fat Pat steals the Glazed donuts),

So I dont think the IP used is any worse now than it was in 2021 all because the news says everyone has to hate something and that it's not okay to find it funny doesn't mean people won't watch something and won't find it funny, this is because 99% of the people don't give a toss about who's being cancelled and who's not.

I think I have an idea of what you’re referring to here, but aside from the leaked comment that clearly forced his hand to leave BGT, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything that might be considered ‘deeply troubling’ reported about Walliams beyond social media? Which by the way, I also don’t use. ;-)

Agreed that it’s notable that the area has not been expanded. Whether that's due to Merlin's cycle of investment and perhaps their loose definition of a 'world' or cautious brand protection, I couldn't tell you.

Not sure what you're getting at with the social media comment...

Deeply troubling are the man's ongoing and well documented lack of boundaries, he's crossed lines before and he will likely cross lines again. He doesn't need to end up in prison and he doesn't need the entire population to turn against him to become problematic or embarrassing for the park.
But at the risk of straying beyond the scope of this topic or endlessly repeating myself, I'll leave it there.

Id prefer towers to stear clear of IPs of they do decide to re-theme the area on the future. Hopefully project Horizon development may lead to the whole area being done at some point.

I'm not a fan of Walliams or his books but at the same time I think reactions have been a bit OTT.

Last edited:
I was talking about this with someone the other day. There's no denying DW is something of a liability, as he has a track record of putting his foot in mouth and his behaviour on BGT certainly looks bad. But even outside of that, his books won't be relevant forever and having a whole area of the park dedicated to him seems quite short sighted. Many teachers seem uncomfortable having his books in their classrooms due to his reliance on lazy stereotypes, and I can see them ageing very poorly (they already seem quite dated, at least to me).

Why they didn't choose a more 'timeless' but still fun property like Horrible Histories I'll never know, if they were absolutely set on having an IP. Horrible Histories would actually make a lot of sense; AT have made deals previously with BBC for CBeebies Land, they could tie it into the AT Dungeon and Horrible Histories is still very popular with kids.

So whether it's due to some big controversy or due to irrelevance, I can fully see the area being re-themed in at least the next 5 years.

I think the area will be rethemed in the next 5 years probably once Project Horizon is open. Id prefer Merlin to stear clear of IPs and create thier own theme like a steam punk theme.

It's always been an odd area of the park and every attempt to do something with it seems half hearted. They could quit easily close the whole area off and do a proper re-theme. It would be a good spot for a flying Theatre in the future.