• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The World of David Walliams: General Discussion

Now I don’t view The World of David Walliams nearly as negatively as most on this forum seem to, but I must admit that the recent announcement of Project Horizon would seem to have stymied most of the area’s expansion potential, which does make me question whether Alton Towers actually sees it as having much of a future.

Before Project Horizon was announced, I had ideas that they could eventually expand The World of David Walliams onto some of the Coaster Corner land, as well as re-integrating the former Charlie and the Chocolate Factory boat ride into the area in some capacity.

However, Project Horizon would seem to prevent both of these ideas from coming to fruition. The Project Horizon building and plaza themselves occupy the Coaster Corner land, and the placement of the new area’s entrance arch directly in front of the current Dungeons facade would seem to divorce that attraction from The World of David Walliams for good.

Now I don’t view The World of David Walliams nearly as negatively as most on this forum seem to, but I must admit that the recent announcement of Project Horizon would seem to have stymied most of the area’s expansion potential, which does make me question whether Alton Towers actually sees it as having much of a future.

Before Project Horizon was announced, I had ideas that they could eventually expand The World of David Walliams onto some of the Coaster Corner land, as well as re-integrating the former Charlie and the Chocolate Factory boat ride into the area in some capacity.

However, Project Horizon would seem to prevent both of these ideas from coming to fruition. The Project Horizon building and plaza themselves occupy the Coaster Corner land, and the placement of the new area’s entrance arch directly in front of the current Dungeons facade would seem to divorce that attraction from The World of David Walliams for good.
I do definitely think that TWODW was a cheap stop-gap (very lightly) themed land, but I'm not really sure what the future holds. I agree with your post, and I don't see how it can expand now with the announcement of Project Horizon.

I do definitely think that TWODW was a cheap stop-gap (very lightly) themed land...
Cloud Cuckoo Land was a cheap stop gap, they're replacing stop gaps with stop gaps.
That area of the park was great as Cred St.
Was it though? It was very much of its time, right down to the name. I think Cred Street was yet another short sighted retheme of that area.
Talbot Street worked, but then expectations of theming were much lower at the time.

Cloud Cuckoo Land was a cheap stop gap, they're replacing stop gaps with stop gaps.

Was it though? It was very much of its time, right down to the name. I think Cred Street was yet another short sighted retheme of that area.
Talbot Street worked, but then expectations of theming were much lower at the time.

Hmmmm I would sooner have both of the mentioned lands over what we have now.

Realistically it's never been as great area of the park. Let's hope Horizon changes this

Gangsta Granny was running well the other day...... And its the first time I experienced the BUBBLES! I knew when it first opened it had bubbles in the underwater bit. but they were soon turned off as they apparently there were interfering with the ride sensors! also Merlin being Merlin - thought that was that - so it was a nice supprise to see 2 years later on a midweek offseason visit to see this effect! it may seem a small thing - but its little effect like this that elevate an experience!

Last edited:
GG is embarrassing to even be in the same park.
Agree wholeheartedly. The sets on GG are very small and rather poor quality, especially the cardboard Beefeaters, whereas Alton Manor is far better on scale, effects, and sets.

See, I actually felt that they did very well with Gangsta Granny given the space they had to work with. You were never going to get huge scale sets in that building, and I actually feel that the sets on Gangsta Granny are really good with lots of little details to look at. They also integrate very well with the screens, in my opinion!

It's my least favourite dark ride of the 4 on park (Hex, The Curse, and I'll count NST based on its version I rode, not counting the upcharge Dungeon), and my least favourite my quite some way, but I still like it.

The idea of a ride designed for "thoosies" fills me with dread, maybe we part got that with Reference Hell but mostly avoided it.
What “fills [you] with dread” about a ride designed with enthusiasts in mind, out of interest?

I know enthusiasts aren’t the bulk demographic of these theme parks, but a ride with some fun references for the more observant or those looking for extra details can surely never be a bad thing?

What “fills [you] with dread” about a ride designed with enthusiasts in mind, out of interest?

I know enthusiasts aren’t the bulk demographic of these theme parks, but a ride with some fun references for the more observant or those looking for extra details can surely never be a bad thing?
It would be a ride designed for fanservice instead of entertainment, for people already heavily invested in the park (to an often blind-sighted degree if "thoosies" is a stereotype), making it esoteric and not really using people's imagination.

Enthusiasts love references every few metres because it makes them feel validated that they read something on the internet. There's a big difference between that sort of thing and a subtle easter egg. But Im grateful The Curse is an enjoyable ride too

See the decline of things like Doctor Who and Star Wars when it just became constant callbacks and fan service

I think the difference between GG and Curse is more that one is a small kids dark ride based on a book and the other is a staple family ride.

I think GG is fine and a creative use of space! I find the subject matter and dialogue cringe, but its aimed at kids. If it was at Europa for example it would be yet another small dark ride wedged in and would fit in fine! And thats the problem - Alton towers doesn't have 'enough' similar attractions - and it is one of only 2 (3 if you inc Hex) dark rides (well 4 inc Dungeons) but is certainly the only 'fun/family dark rides.... whilst if it was one of 10 or 11 dark rides/ semi-dark rides it would be part of an ensemble cast...... a small part of a greater WHOLE experience.