• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The World of David Walliams: General Discussion

The money required to do all of this would probably be extremely high obviously, but I can't see any other alternative as to Alton losing the crown as the UKs main theme park in the mid level future.
Lose the crown to who?

Problem with fitting spinball in a building up there, the building would look ugly as it would be a very tall tin shed behind a cardboard facrde.

A lot of the orignal Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom is shed buildings behind thin facades, its a pretty standard way of doing indoor rides at theme parks. Yes some have more elaborate facades like Haunted Mansion but others like Small World aren't much more than some wood.

Lose the crown to who?
Honest opinion, I can't really say as of yet. All it takes is a consortium slightly braver in their risk taking than the ones who want to build the London Entertainments resort in Kent and Merlin have got serious competition. Obviously, the effects of this added competition could be positive for AT, even if it did no longer longer 'have the crown'. I certainly think they'd rethink areas like Cloud Cuckoo land if it did happen.

A lot of the orignal Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom is shed buildings behind thin facades, its a pretty standard way of doing indoor rides at theme parks. Yes some have more elaborate facades like Haunted Mansion but others like Small World aren't much more than some wood.

Yeah I get that but at least Disney puts effort in hiding the tin sheds.
Merlin seem to think a dark green cladding is enough to hide a building. Or in dbgt a reddish orange o_O

What was the last new attraction not including secret weapons and cbeebies land that Merlin put in?

Yeah I get that but at least Disney puts effort in hiding the tin sheds.
Merlin seem to think a dark green cladding is enough to hide a building. Or in dbgt a reddish orange o_O

Pretty much everything at Alton Towers is well enough hidden, there are patches where it isn't perfect (can see the Duel shed from the toilets building) but overall I think Alton Towers have done a decent job at trying to hide the showbuildings. Chessington as well isn't too bad, most of the bubbleworks is hidden, although you can see parts from the zoo it doesn't really detract from the ride as you can never see the facade and the showbuilding together. It could of course be argued this is Tussauds work not Merlin.
But yes at both Thorpe and Legoland they aren't really worrying enough about the buildings.

has their been any confirmation at all of CCL being redone? or is it pure speculation

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well. AT is a world level theme park (in my opinion) with world class thrill rides, Nemesis in particular (amazing considering the height limit).

A retheme of Charlie with the same budget and imagination is a waste of money.

They need to be looking to beat Valhalla (the only ride at PBB of which AT need be envious (with the possible exception of the Grand National)).

Whether they use the CATCF building as part of the course or not, Valhalla needs to be the yardstick in terms of epicness to make it worthwhile.

Merlin has the means. I don't know if they have the ambition.

log flumes (with the exception of valhalla) seem to be going out of fashion in the UK - Thorpe and AT have both god rid of theirs
Anyway, loggers leap is reopening after a multimillion pound refit (if you believe some of the optimists on thrope park mania forum. Personally, I'll believe it when I see it!

log flumes (with the exception of valhalla) seem to be going out of fashion in the UK - Thorpe and AT have both god rid of theirs

I wouldn't say that they are going out of fashion. It is more a case of Merlin not wanting to pay the costs associated with operating and maintaining these older flume rides.

Log flumes remain firm favourites; The Flume still got long queues on warm days towards the end of its life. And I have heard many a child walking around SW8 at Towers asking their parents if Alton Towers are building a new log flume. I just hope Towers have taken note of this themselves.

:)

has their been any confirmation at all of CCL being redone? or is it pure speculation

@AstroDan Seemed fairly confident it is being looked at for 2019. But he was suggesting it could be Dreamworks (similar to Heide Park and Gardaland) but now Dreamworks animation is owned by Universal studios it might be harder for Merlin to license the characters??

I wouldn't say that they are going out of fashion. It is more a case of Merlin not wanting to pay the costs associated with operating and maintaining these older flume rides.

Log flumes remain firm favourites; The Flume still got long queues on warm days towards the end of its life. And I have heard many a child walking around SW8 at Towers asking their parents if Alton Towers are building a new log flume. I just hope Towers have taken note of this themselves.

:)

I don't mean going out of fashion in terms of popularity i mean like you said it that merlin don't appear to like it and are phasing it out that way :)

CCL Would be a perfect fit for a new logflume but I just don't see it happening, I doubt we will see another one in Alton Towers

I would like a new Log Flume built in Katanga Canyon. CCL could do with Spinball being located inside up there, Charlie and wobble world refitted and the facades repainted to a new theme.