• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Theme Park Reporting in the Mainstream Media

venny

TS Member
We speak a lot about what publications like the Sun do to exaggerate minor incidents at parks. However I think the problem of terrible reporting spreads wider than that.

Here’s an interesting article on PA vs DLP. And when I say interesting, what I mean is it’s quite possibly the epitome of what is wrong with theme park journalism in the mainstream. It is filled with an absolute litany of errors and just plain bogus reasoning. And it’s not even the Sun who have written this steaming pile, it’s the allegedly more responsible and respected Independent

The point of this post is not to say one park is better than the other, but I just thought I’d share this dross with a group who would appreciate how terrible these sorts of articles are:

https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...parks-europe-salou-spain-france-a7952791.html

A few key points of why PA is apparently far better than DLP:

Apparently PA started as a small water park. News to me.

PA is better because DLP has outdated themeing like Frontierland. Kids don’t get westerns nowadays. And there definitely is not a very similar, if not larger western area in PA called Far West. It’s definitely not the largest themed area in the park. It definitely does not have a massive hotel connected to it with the same western theme, cos why would anyone stay there?

PA coasters take you by surprise because they’re not indoors. You can see everything that Shambhala, DK and Red Force do. This means they take you a lot more by surprise than a coaster whose layout you cannot see because it is hidden inside a building.

PA has a fantastic array of different foods like the often well rated Raco del Mar restaurant in Mediterranea. DLP has nothing like this. The best food in DLP is at the character meals where the focus is placed on food quality rather than meeting Mickey. Other than that you can only buy chicken nuggets or sweets in DLP at Blue Bayou, Cafe Agrabah, Walt’s and Chez Remy. Disney Village and all the hotels do not exist.

You can only get the Eurostar to DLP. A journey from Barcelona takes an hour, but at DLP the journey from the airport is much longer - an hour, at busy times. You would definitely get a taxi to DLP because there is no shuttle service or direct train from the airport into the very centre of DLP.

DLP is getting a Star Wars Land!!! Who knew.

Stampida is ‘family friendly’.

No one under 50 understands it’s a small world.

The queues at PA are a breeze. It has paid fast pass. DLP only offers single rider lines and a similar fast pass system, but it’s free, which is not as good as having to pay for it.

I must admit that the article is making a very small part of me start to have doubts about this hobby... but of course the other 99.999999999999999999.....% of me is still raring and ready to ride!

It frustrates me when I see opinion based articles like this trying to claim that rollercoasters are dangerous and that nobody should ever ride them just because one person finds them scary. It's a fact that they are safe!

@Robert.W is on the money with this one. The blogger doesn't like them, thinks they're dangerous and therefore thinks everyone else should agree with them.

I've seen reports in the media where they don't even understand that a coaster freefalls under its own gravity. If they can't even get that, we stand little chance of them understanding things like safety critical design, redundancy, first fault detection, block systems, etc. How can you explain safety to these people?

One thing to remember is that something is only news if it's rare. If it happens everyday then it won't appear in the news, because it's not news. This means that things like aircraft crashes, rollercoaster accidents and terrorism are not likely to actually kill you. It's things like diet, being overweight, alcohol and smoking that actually kill people.