• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Theming - which is the best?

alton supreme

TS Member
Unsure whether there is already one of these, but after a quick flick through I haven't found one. Also apologies as I have too much spare time so have written full paragraphs!

Nemesis has amazing theming, the building height restrictions causing a wonderfully thought out integration of track and area. The main attraction is a monster wrapping around the station, which is part of the story behind the ride. Even the track itself has been decorated accordingly, some artificial rust having been painted as well as the natural paint removal from the trains wheels. Twisting and turning, looping and dropping, the track winds through the rocks, something that many rides don't do. As the area was exploded with TNT, it gives the ride a more natural feel contrasting the man made look of the rides such as Smiler and Oblivion. From the queue theming to a simple rock, Nemesis has been beautifully designed to fit the area and is a great sight to see.
9.5/10

Oblivions theming isn't highly considered throughout the ride but elements have been added to the queue, such as black and orange colouring, screens playing videos about the backstory and the logo dotted around. A secretive air is kept alive by barbed wire fencing and the overall atmosphere of X-Sector where it lays. Although it isn't always noticeable, the hole in the middle of the drop usually has smoke shooting from the sides, blocking the already dark view of what's below.
5/10

Galactica and the surrounding area hasn't been themed very much at all. This is partly because the budget supposed to be for decorative purposes was blown on the ride itself which clearly proved more expensive than initially thought. In 2016 the addition of VR headsets was welcomed by most, and the renaming from Air to Galactica was not unpopular. A smoke shooting ring was also positioned after the first drop, however the smoke is not always on, a disappointment to many. The almost perfect rollercoaster could definitely benefit from some themed additions.
4/10

Smiler's theming is considered some of the best but also worst at the park, and not for no reason. From interactive elements throughout the ride to a room full of illusions while queueing, the design is special. Each car is coloured the iconic yellow and black, adorned with a smiling face and filled with excited passengers. The second riders reach the top of the first lift hill, awaiting their inevitable drop, the spider is in view. A giant car wash style roller brushes over riders heads, bright lights flash, wheels covered in spirals spin, needles mimic injecting laughing liquids into riders. Even while standing in line the billboards flashing hypnotic messages are visible. The final stage of queuing sees riders in a room of shapes protruding from the walls, projected spirals laying on top. Its always has been and hopefully always will be a popular sight to see. However, there is a massive lack of interesting features as you are riding - not much time to look while tumbling around! I personally love the back story and believe the track alone is good enough.
7/10

Rita has changed themes slightly over the years, much like Galactica, the removal of corkscrew seeing the removal of the title 'Queen Of Speed'. As quite an open plan ride with no place for decorations in the queue, it is no surprise that Rita lacks the theming of its fellow coasters at the park. It used to take the look of a race car, its speed being helpful to simulate the feeling of a drag race. However, with the arrival of Thirteen and consequent retheme of the area to 'Dark Forest', Rita became about escaping instead. The track is painted red, green adorning the tops to blend with the trees. Sadly, the only real theme sits by the loading area: the control station.
3/10

Thirteen's theme sticks to the implied bad luck, a drop being intended as a fright. Creepy figures are used as a marketing point, however these are no where on the ride or in the surrounding area. Similar to Smiler, most of the theming hides in the dark room of the loading station, nothing lying around the track until the main attraction of the ride. In the drop room, a cloaked figure resembling those in adverts stares through the darkness at arriving trains. Despite the lack of physical theming throughout the track, lights flash as the track falls and a chill-giving song plays the entire time riders are queuing. Overall, Thirteen could have spread the themed objects around more instead of centralising it to two rooms, although those rooms are absolutely amazing.
7/10

Wicker Man's theming is one of, if not the best considered theme at the park. A large wooden figure towers over the ride and queue, being pierced with track twice. The fire within the shoulders shoots higher when riders pass through, and tv screens playing flame recordings are just about visible throughout the structure. To make it impossibly more impressive, an entire new alphabet, which writes cryptic messages around the queue. The most common is 'chosen one', the rides slogan, and can be found on flags and wooden posts. Right before the station is a pre-show room that projects an animation of Wicker Man upon the darkened walls. Even just the rides support system is effective, rather than using normal structural beams they stuck to the wooden scaffolding. Everything on and around Wicker Man is impeccably themed, the engineering genius of two faced 'Wicker Man' himself captures the essence of it's backstory.
10/10

IN SHORT

1. Wicker Man
2. Nemesis
3. TH13TEEN
4. Smiler
5. Oblivion
6. Galactica
7. Rita

I'd have a similar overall list I think, although I'd drop The Smiler to the back of the pack as much of the themeing actually detracts from the ride. Some sort of good ideas, horribly executed. Even Rita's sparce efforts make it better than if it were completely unthemed on tarmac.

Just come across this thread and I like it so I'll give my order. Never really thought about the order before so this should be interesting. I'll do the coasters alphabetical order.

Galactica- At least it has a theme I guess, unlike Air which was so barren. Still I think they certainly could've done more and it's theme is still minimal
3/10

Nemesis- Theme was always good but I can't wait to see what they do with it for next year. Based on the previous theming I'd say 5/10.

Oblivion- This ride has barely any theming unfortunately and has always been one of the weakest in terms of theme
2/10

Rita- This has no theme near enough
1/10

Th13teen- This has one of the better themes on park so hopefully they spruce it up and look after it
6/10

Smiler- Cattle pen queue in a concrete pit. The theme in the queue is non existent but the actual theming is one of the best on park. Marmaliser is unique, projection room is fine and the exit is the best part.
6/10

Wicker man- This is the 2nd best themed ride in the UK and its a marvel to look at. Beautiful theme and comfortably the best at towers
9/10