• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park 2017: DBGT: Rise of The Demon

3 years planning. A lot of the theming and media is created off site, remember.
Disney, Universal, Efteling, Europea Park, Phantasialand... there is more to dark rides than just Orlando.
DB is one of the country's most popular entertainers ... you can't really make that comment if you know nothing about him or not seen his work :) It's really entertaining - you should watch it!

1) Indeed! However all that off site work has to be put into a finished building, with electrical work, programming and TESTING. Christ do we know projects have had teething problems during testing and there's not enough time to resolve things!
2) Quite, clearly I should lower my expectations. Forbidden Journey this obviously won't be. Thanks for reminding me ;)
3) I made no comment about him? I said I didn't know how popular/current him and his work is because I'm not familiar with it. It's been a long time since he's graced the headlines!

After having a great think about it, I was the same, thinking he isn't that current. But does that matter? He is probably the best at what he does and that's all that matters.

John Wardley won't be current in a few years but everyone would love a new ride by him.

Last edited by a moderator:
After having a great ink about it, I was the same, thinking he isn't that current. But does that matter? He is probably the best at what he does and that's all that matters.

John Wardley won't be current in a few years but everyone would love a new ride by him.

John Wardley has never had "John Wardley: The Ride", nor ever attempted to proclaim himself as an IP! Entirely unsuitable comparison in honesty.

What about Deal or No Deal: The Experience?

John Wardley has never had "John Wardley: The Ride", nor ever attempted to proclaim himself as an IP! Entirely unsuitable comparison in honesty.

What about Deal or No Deal: The Experience?

With all due respect.... Do you know that this is Derren Brown the ride?

He might just be the face of the marketing campaign. And then the ride be something that is mind manipulation but not contain Derren.

I recall Jack Osbourne and Alex Reid being involved in some rides that never really materialised.

Coming soon: The X Factor Extreme Scare Maze!
Do you have what it takes to suffer the screams of personal abuse from our judges? Get ready to cry as you climb to the heights of "flavour of the week", only to have tabloids publish all your embarrassing moments for the world to see. Before you know it, you'll be performing in panto at the end of some clapped out pier, wondering where your life went wrong and contemplating jumping off next high tide...

Do you have what it takes to suffer the screams of personal abuse from our judges? Get ready to cry as you climb to the heights of "flavour of the week", only to have tabloids publish all your embarrassing moments for the world to see. Before you know it, you'll be performing in panto at the end of some clapped out pier, wondering where your life went wrong and contemplating jumping off next high tide...
Still scarier than the big top

He might just be the face of the marketing campaign. And then the ride be something that is mind manipulation but not contain Derren.

I recall Jack Osbourne and Alex Reid being involved in some rides that never really materialised.
They did seem to be gimmicks shoehorned in as a tacky press release though. This time it looks like Derren is involved from the word go.

Time will tell though, and like you've said, based on previous history you can never be too sure what role he will actually take come next year.

Already been done at Madame Tussauds......

Quick Google search, clicked top link, screenshot first paragraphs (The Telegraph):

249d43a027a0012999cf9b413ef562dc.jpg

"Will be showcased in his new experience".. So yes, apparently it is Derren Brown the ride (TM? ;)) and not just marketing?

For the record, I'm not against the project, I'm just not totally understanding how it seems to fit the current market!

Reactions: Rob
This ride building isn't even close to being sealed yet, never mind any interior or theming work taking place! There is a lot to do and Merlin have a track record of not compleiting things until the morning of opening.
Disney finished Disney World very last minute. Remember how Disney on the day before opening bought lots opand lots of grass to put over the dirt hill. No company is always perfect!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick Google search, clicked top link, screenshot first paragraphs (The Telegraph):

249d43a027a0012999cf9b413ef562dc.jpg

"Will be showcased in his new experience".. So yes, apparently it is Derren Brown the ride (TM? ;)) and not just marketing?

For the record, I'm not against the project, I'm just not totally understanding how it seems to fit the current market!
13 minute? Predict and control human behaviour?

Mixed feelings on this. Has the potential to be great but with it being Merlin... Another concern is re-rideability. Assuming it is some kind of psychological trick, will it make people say "I want to go on it again".

13 minutes can't be right surely, unless it's like hex. Won't the throughput be dire if the "experience" is that long?

Disney finished Disney World very last minute. Remember how Disney on the day before opening bought lots opand lots of grass to put over the dirt hill. No company is always perfect!

Thing is, WDW is ever so slightly better than the likes of Thirteen or Sub-Terra.

Anyway I think the original point was that with this opening in March and Merlin's poor track record of having everyone done in good time there is a lot of work left to do on this. Idealy they'll want to have the vast majority of it done in 4 months time.

:)