• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park 2017: DBGT: Rise of The Demon

Derren Brown is the IP so to speak, how much he was actually involved in designing the ride as opposed to just putting his name to it though, who knows?

I trust Derren Brown, he has a pretty good track record and attention to detail is key for him. This should translate to a good experience. I imagine we're getting some sort of high concept ghost train.

Derren Brown is the IP so to speak, how much he was actually involved in designing the ride as opposed to just putting his name to it though, who knows?

Apparetnly he has been working with Thorpe/ Merlin Magic Making for three years on this.

I think as far as IP's go it's ok and could lead to an interesting ride.

More concerned that with only 5 months to go they still haven't sealed the building. Worried that means there isn't much internal theming planned :/

If you take it as a given that everything major that Merlin does these days has to be a "world's first", it actually is quite fortunate that we have it in the form of a "physcological ride"; that way we can cut the crap and have a decent, non-gimicky ride whilst they still have plenty to market with their usual tactics.

More concerned that with only 5 months to go they still haven't sealed the building. Worried that means there isn't much internal theming planned :/

Nah, Internal stuff could be built off-site then pushed in, the big fixtures to hold things are already in and could have only been done before the building was sealed. They probably won't even start on the ride inside for another few weeksn

Im hoping Thorpe blow me out of the water with this, however at this point I am considerably underwhelmed.

Less of an IP more of just bunging some bloke of the telly some money. Im not a fan of magicians or trickery anyway, but I can't recall him doing anything big for a few years now. So while he's still a household name, but without the big TV deals Merlin offer him some cash to slap his name on a ride - can't say I blame the bloke.

Im aware no names have been attached to this by Merlin yet, heres hoping its not Candy and someone with some long views of the ride and concept not just a quick publicity stunt. I mean 13 was half baked, Smiler never really worked as a concept, Sub Terra AND Im a Celebrity are SBNO.

Merlin need to pull this out of the bag, but I suspect that bag is empty.

I think/hope it may only be the queue videos, adverts and narration. A bit like calling oblivion "Renny Kruprensi: the ride".

I'm hoping for this to happen.

Although I really wouldn't put it past them to have "Derren Brown: The Ride" being the name. :p

I said that Merlin would not want to take the risk of linking their huge investment to a single person as a number of formerly cherished celebrities have fallen from grace recently.

I WAS WRONG. PASS THE HUMBLE PIE...

and just what are the forum rules on forfeits...?

Someone said that the theme would be very controversial. I don't understand why unless we're still missing a big piece of the puzzle.

Someone said that the theme would be very controversial. I don't understand why unless we're still missing a big piece of the puzzle.
I would say we're missing quite a lot, we still don't really have any idea of what the ride will actually be. All we really know is that Derren Brown has been involved in designing the experience. There is still a lot we don't know.