• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park 2017: DBGT: Rise of The Demon

In the past few years, Thorpe has opened on a Thursday since it can be a good first chance for some people to ride their new attraction (they did this with Swarm in 2012, and the backwards modification the following year), and also has the benefit of not having the risk of it opening on a busy day where it's subject to teething problems.

12568951_1515100742127016_875507522_n.jpg

12628094_1788231551404989_589148052_n.jpg

12747561_446263435568194_1136532172_n.jpg

CbBd1NwXEAA3T_s.jpg:large

Not giving much away... images taken from Thorpe Park's Twitter/Instagram pages.

Hmmm, not terribly sure how I feel about those images.

Somewhat... dampened one's enthusiasm for the theme.

And, before anyone jumps on the "BUT IT'S JUST A FEW IMAGES YOU CAN'T JUDGE THE.... etc"

I am commenting on THOSE specific photos. Which look... frankly... bland.

There's a thin line between sinister, and going too far and just being, dank.

Those pictures make the Vicrorian look seem a bit forced and artificial.

I agree, it kinda looks more "museum" than haunting building.

Only a few photos of course, but something just doesn't quite look right about it IMO.

Kinda reminds me of the Victorian school museum in Glasgow but hopefully will look better on park.

I get what you guys mean completely... It's just nice to see some updates. I haven't been excited about a ride for some time.

I get what you guys mean completely... It's just nice to see some updates. I haven't been excited about a ride for some time.
Don't get me wrong I hope the ride will be world class and exciting but the themeing facade seems a bit uninspiring.

I hope it's just the point it's at now and the way it's been photographed. I am with you on this Ash, very excited by the idea, I just hope it doesn't feel forced or that immersion that will be so key to this ride will be lost.

This, of all rides, will need to feel REAL.

The Sanctuary (yes everyone knows I was a fanboy lol!!) because of the surroundings, FELT real - had an atmosphere about it, it needs that sense of realism of surroundings IMO.

I hope it's just the point it's at now and the way it's been photographed. I am with you on this Ash, very excited by the idea, I just hope it doesn't feel forced or that immersion that will be so key to this ride will be lost.

This, of all rides, will need to feel REAL.

The Sanctuary (yes everyone knows I was a fanboy lol!!) because of the surroundings, FELT real - had an atmosphere about it, it needs that sense of realism of surroundings IMO.

I know what you mean... Especially when something is supposed to look old when it's brand new, it can look really contrived.

7 tonnes by railway coach standards is not much. Real examples of the style shown in the concept art weigh in at 20-30 tonnes. From that time they're also usually shorter than the length stated in information about the ride, so I'm really looking forward to seeing whether it looks convincing. I'm expecting an all-new mock-up with any actual railway vehicle parts limited to a few fittings. That said, they might surprise me with a newly-built body perched on a genuine chassis from a coach, albeit one built much later than the type represented. No way will it be an original Victorian period coach. No preservation group is going to sell a historic wooden-bodied coach to a theme park, not even an unrestored one which requires years of work closer to furniture making than fixing a shed to get it presentable.

I think it's possible that the coach will appear to vanish. It had crossed my mind, but I'm not convinced that a Merlin budget would permit it to be done convincingly. Not too long to wait until we find out now anyway. :)

Might be a new Merlin idea that actually, there's not one there at all, and they've paid DB 30 million quid to brainwash everyone into thinking it is.

Save on maintenance!

Naturally, we keeping it "the/a ride", but do we actually know of any ride aspects?

I'm getting the impression that it's all walk-through. Until you sit down with the VR headsets on.

Naturally, we keeping it "the/a ride", but do we actually know of any ride aspects?

I'm getting the impression that it's all walk-through. Until you sit down with the VR headsets on.

Or it's a walk through after you sat down with your headsets on.... or a walkthrough whilst you've got your headsets on.