Thorpe Park 2017: DBGT: Rise of The Demon

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by Ketz, 23rd Mar 2015.

1. djtruefitt

djtruefitt TS Site Team Team Member

We got through to the last room but failed then. So it wasn't that hard. I fail to see why it needs to be made permanent. Never seemed that popular during frightnights when I was there.

As for the containers, they were brand new and they were made to look older, scruffy dog did the themeing to them.

2. Scott

Scott Former TS Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    The irony of an attraction called CONTAINment being set in a permanent (mainly) unthemed Shipping CONTAINer...

I don't see the issue here. It's likely to be an upcharge and these escape puzzles are getting more popular too. Will give the hotel guests something extra to do in the evenings too possibly?

jon81uk and DiogoJ42 like this.
  3. jmc

jmc TowersStreet Member

Another shipping container. Seriously?

4. CoasterCrazyChris

CoasterCrazyChris TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    I honestly don't understand the strategy being pursued by Thorpe Park.

They clearly imply they want to bring back the family market, but then they intend to stick a scare maze on the middle of the FAMILY beach area right at the front of the park?

'Cause nothing says family park better than screams echoing from a grimy 'themed' shipping container with zero effort to make it fit with its surroundings or offer even any remotely interesting theming.

Not only that, but did they not learn any lessons from the last time they tried a permanent scare maze attraction? Clearly not.

Like Alton Towers, nobody involved with decision making at Thorpe Park appears to have any long-term vision to develop the park for the better let alone make it world class. Lurching from one poor idea to the next to try and see what works is more accurate.

This Derren Brown thing better be half decent otherwise I think this place has about as good future prospects as Chessington.

Last edited: 26th Jan 2016
  5. nickhutson

nickhutson TowersStreet Member

Is it a scare maze?

Thought it was an escape room?

6. UserDeleted

UserDeleted Guest

They missed out on an IP opportunity. The crystal Maze. Richard O'Brien: The Ride...circa 1990.

Scott, Olii, Stevie and 1 other person like this.
  7. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

The Crystal Maze is already being brought back as a team event http://the-crystal-maze.com/

8. djtruefitt

djtruefitt TS Site Team Team Member

It is a escape room, but it was certainly billed during fright nights as being scary (i didn't find it scary at all).

9. simps100

simps100 TowersStreet Member

Only speculation at the moment but theres a few hints dropped by the park that The Swarm will fully run forwards this year including:

Removal of Backwards on the ride page
    Removal of Backwards rows on new press releases

A few suggestive tweets saying "The Swarm will be moving forwards this year"

Pretty much everything apart from confirming they are turning the backwards rows forward!

http://www.thorpeparkmania.co.uk/news/29-01-2016/Speculation-Swarm-To-Run-Forwards

DiogoJ42 likes this.
  10. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Excellent news if true! Backwards was a pointless gimmick and a waste of time.

:)

DiogoJ42 and Sammy like this.
  11. Jonathan

Jonathan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix <3
    Glad to see common sense seems to have prevailed regarding the back two rows on The Swarm.

12. Ted

Ted TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Brilliant news! During 2012, the back rows were the best seats on Swarm. I think the backwards gimmick overstayed it's welcome.

Cheese and DiogoJ42 like this.
  13. Leah

Leah TowersStreet Member

Probably alone with this opinion, but I actually liked the backwards seats (though, I also liked submission and samurai ;)). It might just be that it was the back seats (which on most rides I find a lot better than all other seats), but i always felt that there was more anticipation for the first drop when you cant see it coming. It just felt more intense. Again though, might be down to it being the final two rows or my taste in rides...

14. nickhutson

nickhutson TowersStreet Member

Forward thinking is good.

Anyway... Saw another DB interview and he was saying the same old stuff! You wonder if he's been force fed that by marketing.

15. TheMan

TheMan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    NemiLerVion
    Talking of Swarm.

They should retro-fit the train with a front and centre "saddle seat" so you can ride it like a cowboy.

I'm not joking, I just thought of that, I want a go.

Or even one of those standing frames they attach to planes.

If you want a gimmick Thorpe, you're welcome, and I'd be first in the queue.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW

:D

DiogoJ42 likes this.
  16. UserDeleted

UserDeleted Guest

World First Cowboy Straddling Roller Coaster!

Marketing should love it!

TheMan likes this.
  17. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    Then the year after, they can turn it backwards and have the world's first reverse cowboy coaster!

Rojo, Ben, N3m3s1s and 4 others like this.
  18. UserDeleted

UserDeleted Guest

Sorry if this has already been spoken about... But will this be open for opening day? And what day is opening day?

19. Leah

Leah TowersStreet Member

All that has been said so far is "early spring". This probably means around April (similar time to air) though being merlin, it could well be July :rolleyes:

20. UserDeleted

UserDeleted Guest

Cheers Leah