• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park 2017: DBGT: Rise of The Demon

I'm sure everyone would be more optimistic if merlin started to deliver high quality flats/dark rides that are maintained for years and don't rely on gimicks.

From what I've seen of derrens work, I know that we will get an excellent ride with an enormous amount of detail. My only worry is that Thorpe will let it slip in a few years

No offence... But I'm sure you was sticking up for how Alton Towers doesn't look run down in another thread.

I agree with Ben, I don't see how a pretend train in a box costs £10 million more than The Smiler. At least The Smiler had construction difficulties that bumped the cost up, not to mention the development of a 14 inversion coaster, along with creating the theme. This is a building on a nice flat piece of land with some stuff in it.

I think it's a bit harsh for us to be judging where the money has gone before any of us even experience the attraction.

I might end up disappointed but I'm holding out hope for fantastic quality theming inside as well as a varied and lengthy experience throughout. Surely at 13 minutes long we'll be able to see how the money was spent.

Firmly in @Scott and @nickhutson's camp on this one.

Too much indicates a fantastic attraction.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. For all it's faults, The Smiler is/was a fantastic coaster. They've shoved some serious cash at this for a UK dark ride/experience.

This is no ABC drop tower.

Dark rides in general cost far, far more than coasters (even themed coasters). I mean, there's the cost of erecting and fitting out a huge building, both interior and exterior, completely apart from anything ride-related at all. And there's the matter of indoor dark rides being far more intimate than coasters, therefore the theming has to be top-notch for you not to notice where they've skimped on money.

It might not be a drop tower, but I wouldn't say a simulator and mirror maze are the peak of dark ride innovation...

Unless Merlin have done a Disney and gone cheap so the rest can be spent on theming...

I expect Derren will have put alotnof effort into this and his attention to detail will be second to none. Hes a master of illusion so don't expect the train carriage to be the main wow. I also expect he did alot of research on Merlin and Thorpe. I would not be surprised if he did some research on here to play with us guys! (Hi Derren if your reading this!) I think he's the next JW and if this is the success that I hope it is then we could see more of this type of thing. Theater, illusion, and trickery go hand in hand with dark rides and this may give him the bug.

As with the cost. Merlin tend to wrap up all costs from advertising to CCTV cameras in the bug headline figures so really if that £40m is real then half it. John Lewis spent over £35m on TV slots at Christmas.

I only live 40 miles from Thorpe and this is the first thing that's tempted me back since stealth was installed. I used to go 10x a year but its the lack of theater and themeing that really put me off the place.

It might not be a drop tower, but I wouldn't say a simulator and mirror maze are the peak of dark ride innovation...

I think the point that is being made is that we really still do not know what this attraction is going to be like. All we know is that it is around 13 minutes long, and partly involves being on a train and makes use of VR for some of it. So it can't be said that it is a "simulator and mirror maze".

And hey, Universal are just adding two more 'boring' simulators to USF in 2017!

:)

At least this ride will be more interesting than 'Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon'. Don't get me started on that ride!

Back to the topic, if anybody moans it is not family friendly, think the project this way. This is Thorpe's answer to a thrilling attraction and makes sense after 4 years after the Swarm.

Thorpe Park Central are reporting that the park have applied for planning permission to turn Containment (the scare maze) into a permanent attraction. Because it worked out so well last time they tried to have a permanent scare maze.

Although following mixed mixed reviews of Containment at Thorpe Park Fright Nights 2015, plans have been submitted for Containment to become a permanent attraction at Thorpe Park Resort.

''NEW for 2016- Face your fears and make the ultimate timed escape inside THORPE PARK Resort’s newest scare experience CONTAINMENT. In groups of ten, you’ll be locked inside of four haunt rooms, inspired by many of the UK’s worst nightmares, and tasked with breaking the codes to make your way through to the end… all in hopes of finding the antidote to a spreading infection. Will you and your team surrender to the outbreak or have what it takes to breakout of CONTAINMENT?''

The new plans show the same layout from Fright Nights however a new cattle pen style queue which you will be able to see below alongside an advertisement for Containment. This will be the second of two dark rides arriving to Thorpe Park next year with the star attraction being Derren Brown's Ghost Train.

It is currently uncertain if there will be a charge to enter Containment!

7111393_orig.png

469555_orig.png

2064676_orig.png

So much for trying to get the family market back! :p

I did containment during frightnights last year. I would say it was okay and quite well themed in side, however it's something you could only do once unless they change the rooms around a bit.

It certainly wasn't scary in any way shape or form either.

I imagine it will be a paid attraction, as it has a really low throughput.

I mean we have a low expectation of Merlin generally, and yes they're getting the DB thing which I have praised, but THAT is an absolute abomination of a "building".

I'd rather they used actual non-distressed shipping containers.

No, I'm not joking.

They have somehow made a shipping container WORSE than what it started as.

That takes a real special kind of absolute idiot.

It's more a question of WHY? this is being put in...

Derren Brown is coming in, so it's not like a Storm Surge situation... It's going to cost more money to operate if they remain with actors... Will it be an upcharge again? If not then you're going to end up with another non-moving queueline in the park...

It's these decisions which sum up Merlin's rather strange philosphy with their operations... One step forward, two steps back...

To anyone who has done containment: how hard/fun are the puzzles in containment? Is it worth a queue or paying for?

Can't say I'm remotely excited about this, but I still hope there isn't an 18+ age limit on it. Like to be able to try it.