• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park 2017: DBGT: Rise of The Demon

My thoughts:

1) If you are a seasonal park you need to make an effort to put contingency into your projects greater than a few months.

2) Merlin shouldn't have announced an opening day.

3) Enthusaists have seen Disney, Phantasia, Europa and others miss opening dates, stop booking expensive trips to visit for a pointless opening day credit ride unless you build in contingency.

Appreciate others may disagree.
Agree with all your points bar the last one. If a park announces an opening date, they should be able to commit to it opening that day. I know technical issues happen, but it is hardly the fault of the people purchasing tickets. Or are we at a point now where we have to disregard the opening date and visit once it's open. Even if you choose to wait, we still have no confirmation of an opening date - it could be months late for all we know currently.

Agree with all your points bar the last one. If a park announces an opening date, they should be able to commit to it opening that day. I know technical issues happen, but it is hardly the fault of the people purchasing tickets. Or are we at a point now where we have to disregard the opening date and visit once it's open. Even if you choose to wait, we still have no confirmation of an opening date - it could be months late for all we know currently.

This is purely aimed at enthusiasts but there is so much "bragging" goes on about the difference between the general public and "geeks" by geeks themselves on park knowledge, that if we pride on our knowledge we can't complain when we don't plan for the worst, based on the experience we have had with the best of the industry. especially when dealing with the incompetent elements of the industry we know and hate.

Otherwise stop bragging how knowledgable we all are!

Some of us didn't want to go early to brag, but genuinely because we were looking forward to the experience. I realise now that I must have been deluded to think that it would actually open on time.

I give up... :banghead:

I have never understood why parks like Thorpe and Alton Towers cut things so close when it comes to new ride developments.

How much harder would it be to simply begin the whole process a few months earlier to allow for testing and avoid all this nonsense.

It is a train in England, not sure what people expected...

I'm reposting this (we saw it coming!):

eHXbZMx.jpg

Even if you choose to wait, we still have no confirmation of an opening date - it could be months late for all we know currently.
I imagine they're pretty confident it isn't too far way on the basis that "+++ NEW for 2016: Derren Brown's Ghost Train - Arriving May 2016 - Date Coming Soon+++" is plastered all over their website.

I can't get excited about it being late ... it'll arrive when it arrives. Attractions are delayed all the time, think about those folks at Dollywood.

Has anyone seen the TV advert for it yet? A work colleague said they saw it last night.

Just been reading the sun thorpe park pull out. It says "this attraction is suitable for ages 13+". Is this going to be enforced, or like sub terra's 12a rating.

They never seemed to care in Sub Terra. They just say that so they don't have to take the blame when kids come out crying

Sub terra's 12a rating was purely marketing. I was wondering if this was the same.

Yes you're right, was completely marketing just to make it sound like it was terrifying.

God I hope it comes back.... I love it!

799eda1dbc78952afea6329b96912435.jpg

Fingers crossed.

Sorry back on topic...

As much as I love sub terra... I hope this ghost train is much much more than that.

Sorry, still off topic, but "temporarily" :D there's hope still.

Anyone know what's happening with containment? Haven't heard much about that lately.

Seems a lot of marketing is picking up around the new ride, with the Derren Brown promotion images being used in 241 deal adverts etc, and word of the TV spot being shown. Either the delay is very short, or it was so unexpected that their wasn't time to cancel all of the planned promotions which seem to be cropping up seemingly ready for an opening.

Posting some general thoughts about THORPE PARK today after my first visit in 3 years.

- Saw and Slammer closed. Lots of downtime. Colossus down for at least half of the day. I'm not the biggest fan of Saw and Slammer but it's a poor showing.
- Queues as long as an hour on Stealth, Swarm and Nemesis Inferno due to 1 train operation. X was 40 minutes!!!
- Extremely slow dispatch times, especially on Colossus and Swarm. They may as well have not bothered with 2 trains on Colossus, it was that slow.

Not much has changed really. Thorpe have always been known for terrible maintenance and downtime, 3 years later and it's even worse. For £26 each it really doesn't represent good value at all.

When will they learn? Throughput and maintenance issues have plagued this park for years. The longest queue at Thorpe is always the one for Guest Services.