• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park 2017: DBGT: Rise of The Demon

With the amount that's going into this I won't be surprised if there's a hell of a lot of downtime through the year. I think actors will probably be the least of their worries

Unless DBGT draws in a titanic increase in attendance figures, the cost of all those actors is unsustainable surely.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

The "my Ghost Train" line is a little corny, but I think it has impact. I really like the advert, and it doesn't give too much away. I think this is going to be great. It's definitely the most ambitious and unusual British theme park ride in a long time, especially given that it's an IP.

Oh. So it's not even a real ride then? A glorified simulator?

Even by Merlin standards that's managed to surpass my lowest expectations.

Last edited:
Just wish they'd give us an opening date, they must know now when it's going to open. I am a little worried about the throughput. I can see groups being held up as they're waiting for the group in front to finish the scene they're in.

I've got a feeling the train carriage will be very similar to the Hogwarts Express carriages over at Universal Orlando Resort, where the windows are screens and will make it look like the train is moving.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but just seen the TV advert on channel 4 and it states "opens end of May"

Ride experience followed by actors rushing you to escape... hello Sub-Terra...

Also:

"the ride's narrative is based on a fracking incident that has gone wrong and resulted in the leak of a poisonous gas"

No.

I've got a feeling the train carriage will be very similar to the Hogwarts Express carriages over at Universal Orlando Resort, where the windows are screens and will make it look like the train is moving.
it won't be like that, as the riders will be wearing VR headsets

it won't be like that, as the riders will be wearing VR headsets

With the HTC Vive there is a camera on the front of the headset. This can be activated so you can see through into the real room. I'd be highly surprised if Thorpe didn't use that. Letting you see through the headset via the camera, with an overlay of visual effects on the screen in front of your eyes, with screens around the actual train carriage windows to also add the effect that you're moving.

Plus when sitting down there needs to be some kind of image around you on the windows before placing the headset on.

Surely they'll try and open before the bank holiday weekend because they'll want to it open on a reasonably quiet day before the park gets really busy on the weekend.

I'm not a fan of the way they're saying you want know what's real or not, people will know it's all not real because they're at a theme park. Also think the narrative is a bit underwhelming, think they should of stuck with a Victorian theme throughout.

Actually, I think it will be more of a ride than a simulator. There are definitely multiple trains (rumours say there are 3 in total). It seems that they'll be suspended (as seen in the promotional images) then lowered down onto a transfer track below to do a circuit or whatever. Seems like the only way to reach a decent throughput.

Someone on Thorpe Park Mania is harping on about giant mirrors being used to surround the train in every direction - not sure what effect this would achieve or if it's even possible but he checks out as legit, he works for one of the creative companies involved. More food for thought.

With the HTC Vive there is a camera on the front of the headset. This can be activated so you can see through into the real room. I'd be highly surprised if Thorpe didn't use that. Letting you see through the headset via the camera, with an overlay of visual effects on the screen in front of your eyes, with screens around the actual train carriage windows to also add the effect that you're moving.

Plus when sitting down there needs to be some kind of image around you on the windows before placing the headset on.
Does this mean that technically it's AR, not VR?

Don't want to read any spoilers, but if that's honestly the storyline, then it already sounds bad. How can merlin do this? So much potential, and they have to use ip 's and gimmicks.

Actually, I think it will be more of a ride than a simulator. There are definitely multiple trains (rumours say there are 3 in total). It seems that they'll be suspended (as seen in the promotional images) then lowered down onto a transfer track below to do a circuit or whatever. Seems like the only way to reach a decent throughput.

Someone on Thorpe Park Mania is harping on about giant mirrors being used to surround the train in every direction - not sure what effect this would achieve or if it's even possible but he checks out as legit, he works for one of the creative companies involved. More food for thought.

I think the mirrors they're on about is the room where you board the train.

train1_zpsr1vycnbb.jpeg

If you crank up brightness and contrast:

train2_zpsxuw5gwdc.jpg

Mirrors surrounding the train. This is where the multiple trains theory is plausible. You board the train, then train lowers and follows a track system when another train comes in and lifts up for the next batch of guests.

Does this mean that technically it's AR, not VR?

Don't want to read any spoilers, but if that's honestly the storyline, then it already sounds bad. How can merlin do this? So much potential, and they have to use ip 's and gimmicks.

Yeah that would make it AR, although HTC advertise the Vive as a VR product, AR on the Vive is limited to developers at the moment, something Figment Productions and Merlin could have tapped into for this (if they are making use of the camera).