• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park 2017: DBGT: Rise of The Demon

Finally, having waited all season, I managed to get on it yesterday. So at last I can open and read this thread.

I could summarise the overall experience simple. Disappointing, but still a decent enjoyable experience none the less. A bit like Thirteen. I never believed the hype, but still had a sense of optimism.

Theming is excellent throughout apart from the mid way show which looked unfinished and poorly conceived.

Pre show, great and adds anticipation.

Victorian Carriage room, very good.

First section good. Creepy, well done and felt authentic.

"Illusion" part, excellent. Very well done and very immersive.

Midway show, underwhelming, chaotic, tacky and needs completely overhauling.

Last section, 50p simulator from the 90's on Weston-super-Mare pier.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Even after reading all of these reviews I still really want to ride this... The only problem is that means I have to go to TP! Big Dilemma.

Sounds pioneering for the UK. But is it, really?

As someone who has done the ride more than once, id say it is very good the first time you do it (when you don't know what will happen), if you get a working headset.

After the first ride though, it just isn't scary at all. Without giving much away, it relies heavily on jump scares. Worth doing though, the theming is amazing throughout, and some points (in particular the introduction and "train illusions") build a great atmosphere.

Even after reading all of these reviews I still really want to ride this... The only problem is that means I have to go to TP! Big Dilemma.

Sounds pioneering for the UK. But is it, really?
There's nothing else quite like it. It is well worth the experience. But I would imagine it has very low rerideability value. It's fun, contains mild jump scares and fairly atmospheric. But inferior to what you would get out of a horror maze.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Went on this today for the first time after knowing nothing about the ride at all. I won't go into detail as many others have already done so. Overall, it was pretty good. Not amazing, but not rubbish either. Quite pleasant on the whole.

It was my first visit to Thorpe for around 10 years so also got to experience Saw and The Swarm for the first time. Both decent but need to be longer. Preferred Swarm I think but definitely too short. Was looking forward to another ride on Stealth but it was closed all morning and then when it actually opened (after riding Ghost Train) there was a 45 minute queue and I needed to zoom back up to the West Mids beating the traffic, so didn't bother.

Overall a decent 4 hours spent from 10am-2pm.

Simworx received a European Star Award at EAS 2016 last week for the creation of DBGT.

Simworx was delighted to receive a European Star Award at a special presentation dinner on the eve of EAS 2016 in Barcelona last week, in recognition of its creation of Derren Brown’s Ghost Train which opened at Thorpe Park in England this year.

The awards ceremony took place at Port Aventura World and Simworx Managing Director Terry Monkton commented: “Derren Brown’s Ghost Train is a very different attraction to anything people will have experienced before and is truly a Ghost Train for the 21st century. It was probably out most challenging project to date, with many bespoke elements designed and created specifically for what is a unique attraction and we are thrilled with the end result.

http://www.simworx.co.uk/simworx-recieves-european-star-award/

Did this ride for the first time today I thought the area was very well done.
The theming throughout the ride was fantastic.
The pre show and entry to the train was very good.
I thought however the VR was quite poor the first section was good although it wasn't very clear( headsets are very hard to get focused properly).
The middle section was good and creates some good reactions very some guests.
The final VR as many have stated is the biggest disappointment to the ride the city looks far to computerised (the graphics are less realistic than most modern games) and the green smoke is just way too long and makes the ride feel boring and the final drop below ground is just strange.
We dropped into the earth surrounded by fire yet still felt relatively cold.
Overall it was a good experience but could definitely be improved imo.
The upside to this ride is it has the potential to be great and the VR can only get better the longer it's around.
One annoyance I noticed in the queue was graffiti.
02ad7cfbe3c55391e81e9bba6af9238c.jpg

Although it's only small it's just annoying people don't have any respect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One annoyance I noticed in the queue was graffiti.
02ad7cfbe3c55391e81e9bba6af9238c.jpg

Although it's only small it's just annoying people don't have any respect

This was pretty fresh (although somewhat ripped) when I first went on. Didn't think it would be long before it got vandalised but it's a bit of a shame to see it so soon

It was designed to look worn, People haven't ripped it. Shame this happened, but unfortunately, that's what will happen if you put something that can easily be vandalised into a queue that hardly moves. Sadly, in this instance thorpe actually tried to theme something instead of covering it in vinyls, but people have proved to merlin that it makes no difference. Still, it looks better that galactica's bridge, and to be honest, that's how a normal train station would end up.

On another subject, has anyone noticed that you don't just get fortunes out of the fortune teller? My brother got a fortune last time we went to thorpe (sorry about the quality):
20161001_231937_zpsl6hi1cl7.jpg

I know a 20% discount is useless to a pass holder, but is there anything else?

It was designed to look worn, People haven't ripped it.
I think your wrong I looked at this quite a bit in the queue yesterday and yes whilst they are designed to look worn and ripped etc, you can see where they have been freshly ripped (I.e. By the colour difference the original being dirty ) like you say it's gonna happen but doesn't mean it's acceptable imo.
If I saw someone doing it I would say something to them and then report it, it's just disrespectful not just in a theme park but in general

It was designed to look worn, People haven't ripped it.
I can guarantee they have been ripped as they were all pristine paper posters pasted up with no rips when the ride first opened. I have also witnessed multiple people ripping bits off when standing in the queue

As soon as they were being installed I said they wouldn't last five minutes. Why don't Merlin ever realise that!? If people are stuck in a queue for a couple of hours people get bored and pick at stuff.

Why didn't they put the posters higher up, or why didn't they cover them up or print them on something different than paper!

As soon as they were being installed I said they wouldn't last five minutes. Why don't Merlin ever realise that!? If people are stuck in a queue for a couple of hours people get bored and pick at stuff.

Why didn't they put the posters higher up, or why didn't they cover them up or print them on something different than paper!

What you did there was apply logic ;) something too often missing in Merlin parks at the moment. Although unless you know what they looked like on day 1, the more ripped and graffiti they get, the better themed the station looks. Merlin have accidentally played a blinder here!

I know the theming is actually really good, but can someone actually explain why it has a Victorian theme? It makes no sense what so ever. I mean you have this grand Victorian carriage, then step onto a modern London Tube. The whole ride is a messy tbh. A massive waste on money!

That's one of my (many) frustrations with DBGT, Owen; the ride experience is completely different in both tone and content to what the queue sets guests up for.
I knew about the difference between the interior and (very impressive, it has to be said) exterior shell that you board through before riding, and it still felt very jarring. For anyone going on completely unaware of what's coming up it must be even worse. I'm sure that was the effect they were going for, but after two hours standing outside a supposedly abandoned rail depot/workshop built in the Victorian era it's a complete immersion breaker to suddenly lay a modern day Tube train on guests.

Then you're rushed getting your headsets on, at which point four-eyed guests like me will find that their glasses won't go under the headset (not really that unexpected), hurriedly take it back off, shove their glasses in a pocket and begin the ride with probably an ill-adjusted headset. When later on
you're sat in the tedious green fog for several minutes, idly watching a laughable PS2-fidelity giant mutant-type thing swiping at the air in front of you,
you realise why the hosts are in such a rush to get buttocks on seats and headsets on noggins, but then why isn't the VR experience a) slightly longer to compensate and/or b) designed to provide a more adequate hourly capacity?

Next, we have the content and Derren Brown's input into the experience, or rather the fact that there isn't much evidence of him having had a great deal of it. The name of the ride seems entirely unsuited to what goes on.

Let's start with the 'Ghost Train' part. The VR in the first half is easily the strongest. Graphically it's the most realistic VR I've encountered to date, not suffering too much from the low resolution, and does build a little bit of suspense even if you're not frightened by it.
It does however more or less consist of a stranger talking at you about gas, a zombie sort of thing, and being tapped on the leg by a host. Shouldn't it perhaps feature some, oh, I don't know, ghosts? I'm well aware that it was billed as being a ghost train for the 21st century or some such twaddle, and I was hardly going to take the name so literally as to expect to slam through doors in a poky little car with sirens going off in the dark (I'd have been more on edge if it was, in all honesty). I did however expect at least one ghost to make an appearance in an attempt to give the name some context.

Now the 'Derren Brown' part. If ever there was a time that an attraction could have fulfilled the Merlin parks' rubbish constant claims of psychologically thrilling experiences, this was it. I'm not an avid fan of Derren, but I have seen, enjoyed and been flummoxed by several of his televised stage shows and more documentary-type things. The ride...doesn't capture any of this from his other work, to be frank. There's no trickery, no mind games, and nothing that made me question afterwards what I had seen like I was told I should.
I feel like the middle bit between the two train journeys could be quite Derren-ish if it was easier to believe that what's meant to be happening is actually happening. Sadly though the good theming and impressive train crash effect can't lift being rushed back out of the train and told you need to cover your mouth to any semblance of either shock or believability.

Ultimately then I feel like Thorpe could have saved themselves a load of money and any harm to Derren's reputation that may come of this by simply calling it 'Infection Railway', which more accurately reflects what you experience.

I'm not going to start on the delayed opening and awful reliability. I've ranted on long enough! Needless to say though, I'm not impressed, and I do think the combination of this and the underwhelming experience is a shame given the money that's been pumped into this attraction. I'd like to say at this point it'll be interesting to see whether Thorpe make changes to it in future seasons as I've been told they'd like to, but as I'm going for a Towers-only pass after my MAP's imminent expiry it could be a while before I find out, and I can't say that thought troubles me whatsoever.

Great review of the ride there and echos my thoughts perfectly. The ride slowly builds in the first section to what is ultimately a feeling of disappointment. The only thing I was left questioning is was I really sat in that silly green mist for what felt like an eternity.

:)