• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park 2017: DBGT: Rise of The Demon

With it looking like it's going to run into July from its original May opening, anyone else think they might open it as a new for 2017 attraction instead?

I don't think they will intentionally delay it for a year unless it gets to fright nights and still hasn't opened. I think it will open as soon as it's ready, and if it gets that late then it must be really bad.

I'll be surprised if it doesn't open by mid July. They shouldn't have promised a May opening though. If it's been delayed this long already, then it must have been obvious months ago that it wouldn't open on time.

They're running it with hundreds of guests on a daily basis. Derren has reportedly signed it off. It'll open any day now. What would be silly at this stage, given a two month backlog of guests who didn't get to ride, would be to make a big fuss of it. The gates will just swing open.

Last edited:
They're running it with hundreds of guests on a daily basis. Derren has reportedly signed it off. It'll open any day now. What would be silly at this stage, given a two month backlog of guests who didn't get to ride, would be to make a big fuss of it. The gates will just swing open.

Really? Unless things have changed substantially in the last few days then I find this quite hard to believe. I agree that they won't make a big fuss of it opening, they'll do something similar to Lightning Rod and just open in first then publicise the fact, but I'm not convinced that it is imminent.

:)

With it looking like it's going to run into July from its original May opening, anyone else think they might open it as a new for 2017 attraction instead?
I think it could conceivably still be advertised as 'new' in 2017 if it opens late in 2016.

I'm ok with that. Cue the hate.

Really? Unless things have changed substantially in the last few days then I find this quite hard to believe. I agree that they won't make a big fuss of it opening, they'll do something similar to Lightning Rod and just open in first then publicise the fact, but I'm not convinced that it is imminent.

I'll concede that you're probably correct. But I do think it will open over the summer. Would love to know what's happening behind closed doors, more so in meeting rooms, than the Ghost Train itself. i've got a funny feeling that Brown is giving JK Rowling a run for her money, and rightly so.

I think it could conceivably still be advertised as 'new' in 2017 if it opens late in 2016.

I'm ok with that. Cue the hate.

I agree, to an extent. It will feature heavily in 2017 marketing seeing as they've already missed so much of 2016 and are now in danger of missing out on the start of the key summer season. Alton Towers pushed The Smiler quite heavily in 2014 (alongside CBeebies Land). It will be interesting to see if they use the word 'new' in 2017.

I have to say it looks great in person.

Can't wait to get inside!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Agreed. Thought the building and the shop were very impressive.
Agreed - I am hopeful that this can be a 'lesson learned' for enthusiasts. So much hate (not from you, I don't think) when the building was in the earliest phases of construction, it looks phenomenal.

Derren Brown's Ghost Train is reportedly entering a soft opening phase from today. I'd be surprised if it was operating exactly as they wanted it to for this mind. Still, good to see some progress!

Derren Brown's Ghost Train is reportedly entering a soft opening phase from today. I'd be surprised if it was operating exactly as they wanted it to for this mind. Still, good to see some progress
I'm led to believe it's "99.9% complete, so so close". Which I guess makes sense, they don't want another Sub Terra on their hands.

Derren Brown's Ghost Train is reportedly entering a soft opening phase from today. I'd be surprised if it was operating exactly as they wanted it to for this mind. Still, good to see some progress!

Just read this whilst on Atlantis sub at legoland and literally screamed :D

I am at Thorpe tomorrow. Am i likely to get on if I'm willing to queue?

Just read this whilst on Atlantis sub at legoland and literally screamed :D

I am at Thorpe tomorrow. Am i likely to get on if I'm willing to queue?

I would imagine so yes, just keep an eye on it throughout the day. Total guess work on my part but I doubt it will open with the park, and once it is open it is liable to close at any time so even if you are in the queue you might not get on. Just the nature of soft openings, really have to play it by ear.

"Derren Brown’s Ghost Train is currently open for technical rehearsals, however please be aware that due to the attraction being in rehearsals, it will be subject to availability and there is no guarantee of boarding on the day." - Thorpe Park Facebook

"Derren Brown’s Ghost Train is currently open for technical rehearsals, however please be aware that due to the attraction being in rehearsals, it will be subject to availability and there is no guarantee of boarding on the day." - Thorpe Park Facebook
Sounds like the standard "its open but we don't want people complaining if it isn't tomorrow" statement. I'm hopeful. If not, I can always do the rides I didn't do last time like saw

Is it worth going to DBGT first in the morning now or just go to colossus/saw like I originally planned? Sounds promising for fully opening soon.

Is it worth going to DBGT first in the morning now or just go to colossus/saw like I originally planned? Sounds promising for fully opening soon.

Your guess is as good as anyone's. Nobody knows.