• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: Europe's most un-resorty resort

AstroDan

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
Thorpe Park: The UK's most confused "resort"

I recall visiting Thorpe Park back in the days of only two major rollercoasters, Colossus and Nemesis Inferno. I remember my first visit - Fright Nights in 2005. There was some kind of buzz. A unique buzz, it was different to Alton Towers. Although nowhere near the same size, there was a certain vibe that gave Thorpe Park an edge. A new rollercoaster, which would become known as Stealth, towered massively over part of the park - although it wasn't yet open. It was lit in a multitude of colour, which changed every few seconds. There were two new huge flat rides - which were amazing to watch - Rush and Slammer. Everywhere, rides were lit, music blasted and guests queued to enjoy rides late into the night. It was that day and subsequent evening at Thorpe Park which would, to this day, remain my best ever visit to the place.

Back in 2005 and 2006, enthusiast forums were rife with debate - it wasn't "which is better, Thorpe or Alton?" (and there were plenty arguing Thorpe's corner, even then) - it was more "when will Thorpe Park overtake Alton Towers as the UK's biggest theme park?" - some were saying 2 years. Some 5. Some said it would never be done. But a significant number were genuinely expecting Thorpe Park to topple Alton Towers quite promptly, such had Tussauds' initial spending on the place been. We'd seen Tidal Wave, Zodiac, Detonator, Colossus, Nemesis Inferno, Rush, Slammer, Samurai, Stealth - all within just 6 short years. Additions had been added at a pace which simply had never been seen in the UK before. At least, not so quickly. Of course, the quality and theming of one or two of the smaller rides there wasn't quite up to much, but there was no denying - Colossus was a world record breaker - 10 loops, and beautifully landscaped. Nemesis Inferno had an incredible volcano which had several special effects to make it look all the more realistic. Sure, we won't mention that from some angles it looked terrible - the fact was, it looked as though Thorpe Park was the new crowing jewel, the new place to be, the place where Tussauds could focus their efforts, free from the restraints of the Alton NIMBY's and able to do (almost) what they wanted. Guest figures rose, and the park became highly regarded within the enthusiast community, with later opening hours and a bigger halloween event than its relative in Staffordshire. And that's without mentioning the likes of Chessington, where investment all but dried up.

Yet dark times were to come. Not in terms of investment, for that continued, at least at first.

Stealth opened as Europe's fastest rollercoaster, taking the title from Europa-Park, who had held it for 4 years previously. At 80mph, it eclipsed Rita - and for some, sealed the deal for Thorpe Park as the UK's best theme park. Visitor figures were less than 1m different to Alton Towers which, although might seem a lot, cut the arrears somewhat considerably. Yet beside all of this glory, something was starting to bubble under the surface at Thorpe Park. Rides began to shake. Guests began arriving to information signs that certain rides might not be open due to technical difficulties. 2007 was somewhat of a damp squib, as the park re-opened Flying Fish. Yet the presentation of the new ride left some asking what was happening. Why, after the euphoric successes of adding Colossus, Nemesis Inferno and Stealth, was somewhat of a classic ride being returned to operation looking so shabby? Where there should have been small lakes, there was a muddy bog. Where there could have been theming, there were just reeds. And with this, came two or three years where Thorpe Park's reputation plummeted. And plummeted. And plummeted.

The park made attempts at opening in February, with a limited ride line up. These attempts were short lived. Rides didn't open in the cold, guests were left wandering a theme park with practically nothing open. The maintenance was thrown into question, as guests were left with the choice of riding X:/No Way Out, or... X:/No Way Out. Coasters sat, stubborniny refusing to operate. And as the seasons went on, more and more problems began to amass. Rides would simply be thrown out of service for days at a time. Rollercoasters, kids rides, flat rides. Year after year, breakdown after breakdown, incident after incident... Families arrived to find that most of their rides had slowly been removed and a mass of security procedures which leant themselves more to Heathrow's new terminal 5. Additions became more and more erratic. Whilst Saw the ride ensured a blaze of media coverage for 2009, the ride veered from one problem to the next during its opening period. Saw Alive was hastily added the following year, and later mothballed due to the costs of operating it. Storm Surge was brought in, a second hand raft ride from Cypress Gardens and quite literally 'plonked' in the middle of the park, providing a ghastly new vista for guests arriving through the dome, which remained somewhat of a leisure centre and very out of date. All this, as queues lengthened, fastrack sales rose - and so to, did the complaint for Guest Services. In fact, Thorpe Park had started to become something of a joke amongst enthusiast communities. Gone was the fun atmosphere that had filled the park in 2004 and 2005, out were the families - the park was filled with a limited audience, all spending not very much money - as forums started to to question 'is thrill really the way to go?'. The Canada Creek Railway stood closed. The 4D theatre closed. Miss Hippo's Fungle Safari closed. Saw Alive closed. Rides were removed from the website, yet stood on for all to see as evidence of 'the past'. The map included images of guests urinating, vomiting, even portraying a quicky behind the bushes. This was the place Thorpe Park had taken itself, appealing to the lowest common denominator - nothing more. But, every few years, in spite of poor additions in between, the investment in a major ride continued. The addition of the Swarm in 2012 should have been a moment of glory and, to an extent - it was. Well themed and reliable, the ride went down fairly well in the community, although it wasn't universal. Yet the guests weren't coming. Thorpe Park wasn't doing it. There was a problem. The park had been its own downfall.

The years of poor reliability, removing rides, making shoddy additions, appealing to one small market. It had caught up with Thorpe Park. Guests weren't interested. Guests weren't loyal. Rising youth unemployment left the parks only market with no disposable income. Echoes from all those years ago - should they have gone down the thrill route - began to surface again. And the answer became clear. No, they should not. And didn't the park suddenly know it. Yet, there was a problem. The park had removed nearly all the family rides and attractions. There was nothing left for them. So, a hastily reworked X ensured smaller guests could ride, but confused as to who they were aiming at, the park quickly turned around some seats on Swarm to try and get back some of the edge for the thrill seekers, some of whom had vanished. Just when things seemed to be looking up, Thorpe Park added a hotel made of portable shipping containers. Opinion was split. On the one hand, it looked terrible, on the other - a bed is a bed. "The Crash Pad", they called it, to entice teens to sleep over in the back yard. Ride maintenance and reliability was improving, but the nails were already partly inside the coffin. It's difficult to undo 5 years in 5 months. Many had lost respect for Thorpe Park. They were sick of the fastrack, sick of the rides being closed and sick of the atmosphere. The argument continued about Alton Towers, but for most, it was clear, Thorpe Park was further behind in 2013 than it had ever been. Guest figures were more than 1m different again, and the thrillseekers had travelled back up north to ride on the 14-loop coaster that had (sort of) opened in Staffordshire. Perhaps the ultimate insult to Thorpe Park, was Alton Towers taking the inversion record for themselves.

So, to 2014. And the park replace the shipping container accommodation with some more shipping containers, and call themselves a Resort. Why? Presumably to attract families. "The Crash Pad" was gone, and in is "The Waterfront Hotel". But it's pretty much the same thing. In a moment of blind panic, the "resort" find themselves advertising a new Dodgems ride. Retheming the parks terrifying 100' drop tower ride to a cheap kids smartphone franchise and bringing in a new 4D film based on the same thing. Even though Sundown and Lightwater Valley were already jumping onto the Angry Birds franchise a few years ago, Thorpe Park jump on the bandwagon. Thorpe Park, the Merlin owned theme park, Merlin who are second only to Disney in terms numbers, theming some attractions with the same IP used at small-time players like Lightwater Valley and Sundown. Incredible. So, late to the party, do they jump on or is it more of a quiver? Moving into the new season, never has a park been so confused over its identity. Paying the price for years of focussing on one tiny market, Thorpe Park is going to change. We can only hope that the change is going to be more planned than what they seem to be doing for the 2014 season.

Will families become confused? What will the thrillseekers think? How can they claim it's a resort when the park is so small, and the hotel isn't particularly permanent?

Thorpe Park, Europe's most un-resorty resort.

Fantastic post Dan... Thorpe is an absolute mess.

It could and should be a fantastic park. It had the quality, the location and the ideas to cater for everyone and do very well doing so - yet it went down the wrong route. A typical Merlin ploy for short-term gain with very little future planning. Thorpe may have been popular in its current guise for a few years but as you point out it very quickly plummeted.

Now we are left with a park in a bit of a sorry state, not attracting enough visitors and unaware of its own identity. The hasty use of the shipping container hotel rather than using the (available for years) plans for a permanent hotel and the seemingly very rushed plans for Angry Birds Land show that the management are in somewhat of a crisis over who do attract and what to do to increase visitor numbers.

This season will be very bizarre for them. Die-hard visitors and fans will turn their noses up in disgust at a family area as they are so used to the park catering purely for thrills and families will turn up probably confused as to why they came in the first place...

Thorpe's turned into a joke of a theme park. It had potential to be brilliant, and now it's turned into a mess. I've got no desire to return at all until they get their backsides into gear and actually build something decent there.

Brilliant post Dan, This completely sums up my feelings towards a park I grew up with.

The first park I ever visited in 1996, when I was only just a few months old. Back in the days when it was owned by Ready Mix Concrete. I don't remember much, but I know it's what was the start of my interest in theme parks. Visiting again over the next 17 years as the place grew in my heart. Then came 2005, when I was finally tall enough to ride the big rides, I loved it, and that's when I realised I loved theme parks and wanted to take a deep interest in them.

Then came 2008. The rebranding, the new logo written in all caps, a new map design, and of course a new owner. It didn't seem so bad at the time, but as the years went on, it's change of brand image went from it being a nice little family park just outside London, to a thrill park with quality rides, to something of this mess...

Fast forward to 2013. The expensive entry fee, decaying themeing on some of the rides, the hideous map, and overall appalling state of the park with a shipping container hotel. Made me realise this wasn't the same park I visited when I was a kid.

And then today happens. Making a pathetic attempt at bringing back families by introducing an area based off a game which has now past it's popularity cell by date as a last minute attempt at bringing in something for 2014...leaving me disappointed.

The park needs sorting out, and fast.

There was nothing fundamentally wrong with aiming at the thrill market, it wasn't wrong at all imo. Where they made the mistake, was pro-actively kicking the family pound out. They didn't even just neglect it, that would be bad enough, it is that they actively booted them out.

Why would you do that?

The resort thing though, that is just laughable. Families aren't going to stay over to go to Angry Birds Land, consisting of 2 or 3 cobbled together attractions, which sounds like it will include a ride I wont even go on as a thrill seeker lol! (Drop Towers - not a fan after poccy, scary!)

It's almost like they don't realise or comprehend what a little gem of a park that place can really be, I love the place, I just absolutely hate the way it is run. My last visit was diabolical *except the company, which was super!*

I had one of the managers names to complain to about that day, and you know what, I couldn't even be bothered. Primarily I will raise issues in the hopes they will be put right, and hopefully everyone then benefits, I felt it was a total waste of time. No one listens or seems to care.

Great leader Dan. As enthusiasts I believe most of us want all parks doing well, no idea what they are going to do with Thorpe now.

Great post Astrodan, and it raised some interesting points.

I think it's a little hard to judge that targeting the thrill seeker market failed. What age is the thrill seeker anyway? Its not just 14-18, and I think that is where Thorpe Parks biggest failing happened. They targeted their marketing at this age range, and it put off a lot of potential customers.

I think those who were not put off by the advertising, were than disillusioned by the poor running of the theme park. Rides breaking down, and over selling over fast passes, causing longer queues than necessary all lead to a negative experience.

That been said, I think that even if you focus on the thrill market, you still need to cater for other family members, and whether this be in smaller rides to keep younger guests happy, or beautiful landscaping to give none riders something to enjoy, there needs to be that something extra to make their day enjoyable.

One of the things people always cry out for at Walt Disney World is a 5th gate which targets older guests.

Merlin Annual Passes should be really easy to sell at the South parks(Legoland, CWOA and Thorpe). Visit each park once and it has paid for itself. Visiting the South Parks should be a similar experience to visiting Walt Disney World, There should be nice hotels, which you are happy to stop in for 3-4 days, and then free shuttles from each park to the other parks, so you can arrive at Thorpe, and not have to worry about driving to Legoland or CWOA, and likewise at those parks. Throw in a free bus between the local airports and the Hotels, and your on to an even bigger winner. I am convinced that with the right investment, and backing from local government and councils, Merlin could market the three parks, along with the London attractions successfully to an international crowd.

I know height limits don't link directly to how thrilling a ride is, but I found the following interesting. Alton Towers has 7 attractions which require riders to be 1.4 meters or taller, this is only 1 less than Thorpe Park which has 8. A little shocking when you compare it to Europa Park and Disney Land Paris which both only have 1 ride which requires riders to be 1.4 meters.

Ian

Well it was Morwenna a few years ago that Alton Towers is still the UK's thrill capital ;)

TheMan said:
...Great leader Dan...

okaTKwb.png

Fantastic post Dan, I really enjoyed reading it, and it really does highlight what a pickle they've got themselves into.

I used to really enjoy visiting Thorpe in the 90s, it was my local park and my family much preferred to visit there than travel all the way up to Alton. I remember having some really good trips there, despite it not having a great selection of rides at the time. It's just such a shame about what a joke it's become, so much so that when people talk about fond memories of their childhood parks, I actually feel embarrassed to admit that my childhood park was Thorpe. Such a shame as I was also greatly excited by all the additions they were making after 2000, they really were their own worst enemies for not targeting it at a wide enough audience.

Thorpe is one of the places I have a soft spot for. There's been many days I've spent there in my early days of getting into theme parks which were really memorable. One of my earliest official meetups over on TTF was to Fright Nights, and it still remains one of my favourites. The late 10pm openings in '06 were great fun, and despite never getting on Stealth thanks to it having terrible reliability issues, it still sticks in my mind as being one of my favourite trips to a UK theme park.

Saw and The Swarm were great additions, but where was the thought and care into the rest of the park? A good coaster does not make an excellent theme park, it's the whole package that should be considered. We've had some fantastic multi-million pound additions, but at the same time we've seen the likes of a log flume left to rot, Slammer just being...Slammer and Colossus being reduced to looking a rusty mess. For a park so small and compact, efforts should be made to maintain the whole park to a decent standard, and not just get a new attraction's area up to scratch. Show off the park to your visitors not just the ride!

Away from the rides, and looking at the service perspective, a hideous mass of metal gates greets a visitor on entry, Fastracks are oversold and the infamous queues at guest services too.

I know I seem all doom and gloom here, but there are some efforts being made in places which they should be applauded for. Fright Nights seems to have improved markedly from a visit a few years back, although overcrowding meant I didn't manage to get all mazes done on my trip last year. What I did manage to get done however, was thoroughly enjoyable. Also, whilst I don't agree with their choice of accommodation (splash out on a proper hotel Thorpe, realistically you know you can fill it!), it's great to see it tied into some decent events such as the MoS tours and Fright Nights. Their social media approach overall seems to be working well too.

I do have concerns about this family approach though. I can't help but think with the decision to go for Angry Birds along with Neptune's Beach that they're going almost for too young of an audience? It seems as though they're going from one extreme to the other. The likes of Legoland and Chessington are too much of an appeal to young families, and there should be more of an approach to attract families of those with slightly older children. I believed this is what they were going to go for with the apparent removal of the "big head" marketing, but with such a childish addition as Dodgems and an IP to match, I fear they're still sliding the wrong way.

Fantastic post, really does about sum up the place.

I completely agree, that 2005 was the best the park had been. It had a nice relaxing atmosphere, it felt unique (I've always thought that's due to the island feeling which used to be incredibly prominent). Since then though, they've eroded the island feel, changed the branding from relaxing to big bold and somewhat threatening/aggressive. With that, the target audience changed so the feeling on park also changed to match the branding. The place feels horrible, and my closest match is the pleasure beach (though I genuinely prefer pleasure beach nowadays particularly on a good summers day).

Consider the old days, samurai queueing next to the lake with the piano theme playing. The parl had pride in itself. Compared to queueing for Saw, with no audio working and weeds everywhere (even though it's beside the lake you can't see it). The attention to detail just is not there anymore.

You can tell they're in a mess when they come and choose an IP a couple of small parks chose a few years ago, and then on top of that bring in a ride which other parks, including thorpe itself, got 20yrs ago. Impressive stuff from them.

Didn't visit at all last year, only visited the year before for Swarm (visited a few times because of that), but haven't visited much since the glory days of 05-06 due to the park being awful itself. Shame really.

I have been to Thorpe Park once (in 2009) and as the people who know me know I am a thrill seeker s Thorpe Park should be right up my street but it isn't. On my visit the queues were pretty nasty (on a Sunday in May) but the staff seemed not to care about upping the ante slightly to force a higher throughput on rides. Saw, Stealth and Nemesis Inferno broke down multiple times and Slammer was closing every hour to have the welds on the arm checked by techies. Even Rush seemed to be half hearted in its operations.

I see no reason to trek back to Thorpe Park any time soon. I may be going in 2015 but that is only as some friends want to go. Yes The Swarm looks good but it isn't enough. The atmosphere at times felt almost hostile in the queuelines which is not what I want to feel when at a theme park (scaremazes and other rides themed to be hostile aside.)

In the event of being stuck on a broken down ride (which is quite likely, it's like Russian Roulette but with multiple bullets) I probably wouldn't feel as assured as at other parks for I know the rides are built right but the maintenance leaves things to be desired or it seems that way.

Overall I feel Thorpe have shot themselves in the foot and whilst it is better than Flamingo Land, if it was doing as it should I shouldn't feel the need to compare the two. But I do. Both seem to have declined rapidly and both I have visited once and don't wish to hurry back again.

TL:DR? Basically Thorpe is a failure at this moment in time.

As a self confessed Thorpe fanboy I do agree with alot of what you said.

Whilst IMO Thorpe did alot right with ride installations and the like over the years, the things like the park map, ride reliability gave of totally the wrong impression to anyone but teenagers.

2012 as you said should of been a great year for the park, for one reason or another it wasn't and i dont think we will ever find out the true reasons behind this but I do think that has had a knock on effect and the park is trying its best to correct where they went wrong.

2013 whilst quiet in terms of new rides, was a fairly substantial year in starting to right their wrongs IMO, huge efforts went in to the presentation of the park with much of it repainted / refurbished, opening hours across the entire season were improved upon, reliability was generally better (apart from Slammer!) and of course the installation of The Crash Pad.

And this did show too, Thorpe was beating its Merlin rivals in guest satisfaction and on sites such as Trip Advisor which can only be good for the park, what will be the teller IMO is the 2014 season. Angry Birds is a fairly well known name around the ages Thorpe seem to be going for - and if its done well has the potential to be a fairly decent area. As for the Waterfront Hotel - im not too against this short term, The Crash Pad whilst is obviously a million miles away from a full on hotel, the rooms them selves were of a good quality and over the summer sitting over looking the park until the early hours with a few drinks was actually a pretty nice atmosphere, something they seem to be taking one step further this year with Summer Nights being on every weekend of the holidays.

Looking forward to where the park goes from here - as said they have the plans to build a full on hotel and plenty of land to expand, I think we could learn alot this year as to what direction that will be!

The fact that they are rebranding Crash Pad as "The Waterfront Hotel" really shows how bad Thorpe's marketing team actually are...

Of course, this is discounting the outsourced social media stuff, which is good... But again, it's OUTSOURCED...

Internally, it's quite clear the 2012 being a crap year (I can't possibly imagine why it would be, considering the crappy weather and Olympics making London dead, why none of the London parks pushed deals or marketing during the event is actually beyond me), has caused the park and it's higher ups to press the panic button and completely focus on boosting the KPIs which have been dying since 2005...

2005 is when the park's decline began in my opinion... I remember that year having lots of nasty incidents between guests (my first visit that year had someone bleeding after a punch-up outside Teacups, and someone having a water balloon thrown at them which didn't explode), and of course the classic reliability issues the park had (opening rides late before Smiler made it cool)...

You look at some of the choices the park makes and go "Why is this a good idea for you?"... I have no qualms with them going for the family market, because I've been saying for years (and Magic Mountain is proof) that the sole thrill market doesn't bring in the money... And like Magic Mountain a few years back, they are in a panic, adding random family areas (Thomas Land) that are done on the cheap but don't do anything else to change the public perception of the place...

Indeed, whilst we can point at Trip Advisor's reactions to Towers this year, how many of these complaints are related to Smiler being closed or generic "the park was too busy so we got 2 rides in" complaints? Something Thorpe has been very guilty of in the past, not helped by the excessive sales of Fastrack...

The additions last year to the park itself screamed of panic too... X did need the refurb but that was polishing a turd and would not turn the park into something families would enjoy an entire day at, Mraws was quite simply Thorpe trying to see if Swarm could still be a success without thinking logistically, which was later in the year made more confusing by the queueless system... Good idea in prospect, but when the options instead are queue for something else or doss around, the practically of the concept falls greatly...

And now this year... Desperation has come to grabbing an IP (classic Merlin) to ensure that it can be marketed with an USP... Let alone the rebranding of Crash Pad which is actually close to insulting the intelligence of guests... Do familes want to stay in a shipping container? The answer is of course, no, the images conjured up by Waterfront Hotel does not equate to the actual thing... Something Thorpe's marketing cannot get it's head around...

Even with the Thrill Capital stuff, families would still come to the park... And then find barely anything to do, with a dodgy atmosphere (or none at all) to boot... Pushing the marketing last year to families is a good idea, but not when the stuff available to them hasn't changed, which leads to a weird thing where the marketing didn't equate to the actual result, not even sure how successful the marketing campaign was, and then they push Fright Nights for being for adults, completely confused... And are Dodgems and a 4D Cinema going to make much of a difference? Det being themed to a kid's IP makes no sense either since most won't be able to ride it, which makes it rather pointless...

The problem lies with Thorpe's clueless direction... Compare it to Chessie's rebrand (for all their issues) at least they actually had a direction to focus in... Thorpe lacks complete focus due to them being crap for a season and hitting the panic button...

N.B. This being said, the stuff like Summer Nights and MoS are good ideas... But fit more into the adult marketing of the park... Will MoS nights bring in families or put them off? What about Fright Nights? Surely with a family market being the aim these will be toned down to suit?

This is such a great topic, I don't think it deserves to disappear!

Now the park is open, Thorpe has certainly had a bit of a identify crisis, you see some signs with the graffiti style writing and fat heads, next to a new sign with nice images and clear writing. It's all a bit confusing.

Then of course there is the new THORPE SHARK hotel, which still looks like a load of shipping containers pilled on top of each other, it's open now, yet it isn't even finished.

I really look forward to see what happens at Thorpe Park next year, hopefully we will see more of the new re-brand, and something a bit more major than dodgems next year.

Thanks Dan, you've managed to put all my hatred towards Thorpe into words. To be honest, when I first heard of the Shark Hotel and it's theme I was impressed, then I saw the extent of the theming and how poorly executed the whole thing was. They have literally made no effort to hide the metal walls or even add internal corridors!

Angry Birds Land is just a desperate decision that may stay popular for half a year. Oh, and why the hell have they made it split Amity Cove in half!

Families won't visit this year because they'll remember past adverts and other advertising which show the park as a teengers play ground. Parents certainly won't want to take their kids somewhere like Thorpe. Whilst teenagers on the other hand have been cringing and mocking the old brand since 2012. Angry Birds won't entice them in anyway, the lack of advertising of the coasters will almost completely erase the park from their minds!

Personally I'd like the park to brand themselves as a magical island, where you can explore different 'Out of this world' attractions.

Oh well, at least the park isn't as bad as the horror that is Six Flags. (yet!)

The shark, whilst an impressing piece of themeing, is actually going to be made up of what will look like bits of junk from the park.

The hotel concept is good, but there is absolutely no way you can advertise a single one of those rooms as suitable for a family, they should put some together to make family rooms...

BenBowser said:

Ironically, what Thorpe are doing now is rather mirroring Six Flags Magic Mountain's behaviour a few years back, when they realised the teenage market was giving them an awful rep and not bringing in the cash... Hence a sudden demand for cheap family IPs to get them in quickly with minimal advance thinking (a Merlin trait anyway)...

Quite amusing really...

BenBowser said:

Out of interest, what do you mean by that? How are Six Flags a horror? Six Flags Great Adventure is far from that and in terms of the coasters it has it is one of the best parks in the world.

:)