• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

It would be easier to cut them slack if they'd not marketed it as a 'new' area. If they'd just absorbed it back into Amity, this level of investment would have been fine.

But to claim it's a new New Orleans themed area, when it bears almost no relationship to its inspiration seems a bit off at best. It looks more like an area inspired by modern Towers Street.

But to claim it's a new New Orleans themed area, when it bears almost no relationship to its inspiration seems a bit off at best. It looks more like an area inspired by modern Towers Street.
There are some French Quarter style balcony railings, hidden behind the sideshow games stall.

They would have been better off just leaving the floor if they had no cash to repave it. Painting it just draws attention to it. Even if they did sort the floor, for the look they were going for they didn't need elaborate themed paving, just some tarmac and line paint would have done. But it appears the budget couldn't even stretch to that.

It's a quick IP removal, nothing more, and I suppose in that sense it's less offensive than the "rethemes" of Cloud Cuckoo Land and Transylvania. Certainly not this "New Orleans" themed world that it's billed as. Not that the concept art ever suggested otherwise.

The brief was more than likely "remove the Angry Birds IP, give it some sort of identity so we can market it as brand new, but allow it to easily integrate with the existing areas, and do it all on zero budget". In which case, I think the creatives have done a pretty decent job to be honest.

It was clearly done just because they had to with the IP expiring, and given the addition of Hyperia this year they were never going to spend a load of money on a 23 year old drop tower and some dodgems.

The park said the theme was chosen as a way of transitioning between 1950s Amity and the calypso setting round Nemesis Inferno. I think they've achieved that, it's quite clever I think. The Dodgems gas station bridges the gap between Tidal Wave and Stealth, and the brightly coloured buildings flow into the old Calypso Quay buildings. We're lucky we didn't get a completely random theme or IP shoehorned in again.

They're expecting gusts 40mph tomorrow and Sunday which is enough to close most of their rides judging by the chart on the ride availability page however these are expected to only be for the odd hour so I reckon guests who go should still get on a lot if some choose to reschedule tickets.

What’s going on with Vortex at the moment? Every time I look it’s closed
Lots of high winds, it closes when the wind speed is over 23mph, which has happened quite alot lately. This was the case when I went Wednesday, if the wind lowered they will re-open it after a test run. Got lucky and got on it when the wind was a bit less gusty! :)

Closed due to high winds today I believe - it's the ride with the lowest wind speed limit at Thorpe
Oh I see that makes sense. I’ve just looked on Thorpes website and some of those max wind gusts don’t make sense. Colossus always seems to be the first coaster to close for wind yet it apparently has a higher gust limit than Stealth and Swarm?

It isn't just wind speed, direction of wind is just as important on some rides...hence the differing closures.
Non prevailing winds cause more problems.