• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

I saw on Sky news earlier, and it looks like the car park is flooded, but the actual park itself looked okay.

Ian

djtruefitt said:
I don't think Thorpe have been affected yet, they Tweeted to someone earlier that they are letting locals park their cars in the Thorpe car park if they have been effected by the floods.

Probably asked them to buy a token first!

Spark said:
djtruefitt said:
I don't think Thorpe have been affected yet, they Tweeted to someone earlier that they are letting locals park their cars in the Thorpe car park if they have been effected by the floods.

Probably asked them to buy a token first!

I can just imagine...stricken motorists fleeing from the rising water levels...the rain lashing down, thunder and lightning raging.

And Merlin employees manning the car park gates charging £5 for entry, £15 for fastracking the queue and free for MAP premium holders! ;)

Good news! Stealth’s getting a shop – and it’s not even going to be made of shipping containers, instead it will be a new themed building next to the photo shop. As with Swarm and Saw, it appears you won’t be forced to walk through it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they put up some sort of barricade to shepherd you towards it.

Plans can be found here

Any chance of any pictures being posted from the plans? I can't seem to get onto the site.

This is good news though and the kind of direction the park should be taking with additions. Although this is simply an exercise in making money it is nice to see that an addition to a park won't be based of shipping containers!

Scott said:
Any chance of any pictures being posted from the plans? I can't seem to get onto the site.

Looking north and west:

4rbz.png

5dnp.png

And an overview:

ndyjjSw.png

There's also a few more including an entire overview of the park with the addition of the new structure, as well as elevations.

So for this year we're getting a dodgems, more shipping containers and a shop. :/ Great year for Thorpe! ::)

Whilst I'm not a fan of the Angry Birds IP choice, the addition of Dodgems/return of Cinema is a good idea for a park severely lacking in 'dull' rides...

A shop for Stealth is good as well, mainly as it lacks one, and also because Merlin know how good merch will be purchased by the visiting guests...

It's a shame Thorpe's imagination doesn't stretch well towards minimal investment years... But I don't really see THAT much wrong with their additions, as it's poor planning and focus that has resulted in them needing such additions in the first place...

Is it me or does it look like it might be a wood cladded shipping container with some modifications (i.e. the automated roller shutters)? It certainly seems that shape!

:)

Even if it's a shipping container at least it's getting cladded! That would be a world's first for a Merlin shipping container. Potential USP for Varney? ;)

John said:
As with Swarm and Saw, it appears you won’t be forced to walk through it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they put up some sort of barricade to shepherd you towards it.

As you say, with Saw, you are forced to walk through the shop, and with Swarm they are only one crate away from forcing you through it. I recon the Stealth shop will have a barricade by summer. ::)

I have no problems with being forced to exit attractions via shops. Obviously it's better to do it when you have a proper shop a la Air and The Smiler rather than a shipping container. Many theme parks do it, it's a basic way to encourage spending.

:)

I remember a time in 2012 or something when you didn't need to go through the SAW shop, and the Swarm shop for that matter, unless I am very much mistaken. It annoys me as you have to squeeze past the people who are looking at the items in the shop. But it is the perfect way to get guests spending money so from that point of view it is a good idea. The Stealth may end up the same way as well.

Trust Rob to enjoy walking through a shop ;)

---

When Saw opened you weren't forced to walk through it. I don't think anyone should be forced through a tiny shipping container shop. Normal shops is fine but shipping container ones can get dead cramped. It's why I'm glad Th13teen's is easily skippable!

Technically you're still not forced to go through the Saw shop, as you can go round the other side.

More updates from Thorpe today - Thorpe have applied for permission to extend the Stealth diner and provide indoor seating. It comes amongst a significant increase in covered attractions this year with the Dodgems and 4D cinema. Last season if you wanted to get out of the rain your only options were X and the tea cups.

The full plans can be found here

At some point last season (I forget exactly when), they put a load of crates between the ride exit and the shop, so you are forced to walk through it. ::)

The barricade is clearly visible on the updated google maps imagery: http://goo.gl/maps/Q4fgX

If you're feeling particularly stubborn, you still have the option of going the other way round rather than through the shop.