• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

A live show based on I'm A Celebrity? Now, I'm not the biggest fan of Thorpe Park, and to be honest, expect very little of them these days in the first place.

But if so, that's literally the nadir of the park's development. Seriously guys, take it easy, it's all up from here on out.

Since getting rid of Saw Alive and the stunt show, live entertainment’s been limited to say the least. Aside from ‘special events’, their Entertainments Department is pretty much one man and his bird. A live show wouldn’t go amiss.

I haven’t seen I’m a Celebrity. There’s a show at Universals called Fear Factor Live where members of the public complete challenges. If this is similar it could be entertaining. It certainly makes a change from the costume character shows which have taken over a lot of the airtime in British parks.

With this kind of show I think a big part of the secret is finding the right contestants. If you ask for volunteers, what you often end up with are the overly confident and assertive types who come across as obnoxious. What you want are contestants who are likeable. The kind the public will root for. And often that means people who aren’t as forthcoming. If you watch a lot of street performers, they’ll pick on people rather than asking for volunteers, because they want someone who’s going to seem a bit awkward. Alternatively you can go for the most attractive people in the audience and make it into an unofficial wet t-shirt competition. It’s not exactly classy, but it can pull the punters.

In the worst case scenario you have some thoroughly obnoxious people eating insects to win a free Fast Track ticket. But if it does turn out to be a live show, I think we should give it a chance. I’m sure Merlin have the talent to produce a decent show, it’s just a case of will they use it.

Fear Factor at Universal was pretty rubbish so I just don't see the idea of a public doing challenges working well at a park with a lower budget. Plus it is very hard to find the right sort of volunteer for this kind of thing.

This is the sort of thing you would espect a school to do as a fund raiser... Not one of the most renowned theme parks in the UK. God, get real, Thorpe.

This is the sort of thing you would espect a school to do as a fund raiser... Not one of the most renowned theme parks in the UK. God, get real, Thorpe.
I think Thorpe may spend more than 50p on this though...

Thorpe have completely lost the plot. They've clearly seen that IPs can be hugely successful, but put absolutely no thought into choosing suitable ones.

To be honest, looking past the dreadful IP, it looks like it could be kinda fun, in a really really weird way. It could be one of those 'it's so bad it's actually outrageously fun' attractions, like the Vogel Show at EP or the Skate Karts at LWV.

Does this rule Doctor Who out for the 2017 dark ride? Or will the BBC not care that there's an ITV IP in the same park? Unless this is just for the one year?

So many questions, so little point.

2016's dark ride is unlikely to be Doctor Whom, as it's likely that licence is one of the many in the deal with Paramount Park.

In regards to the 'I'm a Celebrity' walk through...it seems like yet another rushed IP job. It could potentially be ok, though I'll need to give it a try before condemning it entirely.

With this and Angry Birds Land, I'm hardly holding out for a solid IP for 2016.