• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

To be honest I see this being reversed especially at Thorpe. At the moment they're being cautious but as next year is the major year for Thorpe, if they have a good start to the season I can see them changing this decision and opening on a lot of those weekdays, if not all of them. I could be wrong but it's worth keeping in mind that all opening hours are subject to change. Off peak weekdays at Thorpe are much busier than at Chessington as Thorpe get a lot more adults.

Why dont they go back to peak and off peak pricing, surely that would still be enough to keep the park in profit on the slack days

Why dont they go back to peak and off peak pricing, surely that would still be enough to keep the park in profit on the slack days
They already did this year didn't they? Except peak price was just the normal price with another £5 or £10 slapped on top!

They already did this year didn't they? Except peak price was just the normal price with another £5 or £10 slapped on top!

Honestly? I'm not a huge Thorpe news follower but if that's true... Crying out loud! I don't see the issue with introducing peak/off-peak like it used to be "back in the day". I'm sure management would argue that any "going back" is a step in the wrong direction, but the current format clearly doesn't work!

Someone mentioned earlier about maintenance... I'm starting to get really irked by the lack of general cleanliness and pride in all three Merlin parks.

Where is the focus on upkeep? If you look after things then they last longer. That way you're not running around chopping bits of theming off when it's rotten and a dangerous! Loggers leap? Dragon falls? Nemesis? Grrrrr!!

...sorry. Moan over!

Honestly? I'm not a huge Thorpe news follower but if that's true... Crying out loud! I don't see the issue with introducing peak/off-peak like it used to be "back in the day". I'm sure management would argue that any "going back" is a step in the wrong direction, but the current format clearly doesn't work!

Someone mentioned earlier about maintenance... I'm starting to get really irked by the lack of general cleanliness and pride in all three Merlin parks.

Where is the focus on upkeep? If you look after things then they last longer. That way you're not running around chopping bits of theming off when it's rotten and a dangerous! Loggers leap? Dragon falls? Nemesis? Grrrrr!!

...sorry. Moan over!
Yup pretty sure off peak was £49.99 and peak was £59.99 this year as a walk up price.

Online was from around £20-30 though I think when booked in advance.

It should be half the peak price tbf. But if that's not enough try selling the tickets at £20 and it would be very busy

Thorpe have said that Loggers Leap will remain closed throughout the 2016 season, although it has been totally removed from their website. I've seen maintenance mentioned but unless they are planning a major re-haul I'd imagine costs are involved in this.

:)

Peak price was £59.99 for most of this season - and they wonder why they're losing customers!

Yes but how many people actually pay that?! Less than 5% probably. There are 2for1 offers everywhere for Merlin parks and online price for Thorpe was only about £20something if purchased in advance. By having these "offers" and making your price deliberately high you entice far more people in than you would if you just lowered the prices because the public think that they're getting a good deal when in reality the base price is unrealistically high, hence why very few people pay it but are enticed by offers. I know how much you love to be negative but this pricing model has been in place ever since the Tussauds days and the offers don't deter people, they get them in.

Yes but how many people actually pay that?! Less than 5% probably. There are 2for1 offers everywhere for Merlin parks and online price for Thorpe was only about £20something if purchased in advance. By having these "offers" and making your price deliberately high you entice far more people in than you would if you just lowered the prices because the public think that they're getting a good deal when in reality the base price is unrealistically high, hence why very few people pay it but are enticed by offers. I know how much you love to be negative but this pricing model has been in place ever since the Tussauds days and the offers don't deter people, they get them in.

Of course hardly anyone actually pays the full entry price and if they do they are foolish. It works both ways, you describe the positive side of it. There is a negative, first is the PR and image of the park. When the media or you as a guest look at the price to visit the headline cost is pushing £60 for an adult ticket; that is what gets reported and spread around that that is a hell of a lot of money!

It also creates a problem for if Merlin ever decide they want to change their pricing strategy. Say they want to reduce all on the day ticket prices to £35-40 and remove all BOGOFs from the market. The online price is say £25-30. People may think that because there are no offers any more they are not going to pay the full price, even though it is far more reasonable. I can't see Merlin changing their pricing model any time soon mind so this is not an immediate risk.

Of course the other positive of Merlin's current pricing structure with the use of BOGOFs is the marketing you get alongside the BOGOF vouchers. Printing them in papers on on various products helps to promote the park. Ultimately though I feel the over reliance on such vouchers serves to devalue the product(s) available.

And the BOGOF thing is actually probably one of the problems with the parks atm, since people are expecting something that is worth £50-60, rather than how the parks are perceived post entry... You're going to be expecting something akin to Disney or the like, yet the result is nowhere near that (it's also much more expensive than Europa/Efteling/other parks of a similar size)...

One of the biggest complaints on TA, is the pricing, plus the bolt-ons you get on park (such as parking)...

Thorpe have said that Loggers Leap will remain closed throughout the 2016 season, although it has been totally removed from their website. I've seen maintenance mentioned but unless they are planning a major re-haul I'd imagine costs are involved in this.

What possible overhaul could there be that takes all season. Smacks of poorly thought out cost cutting.

They want to reposition towards older families as well as thrillseekers? Then don't close a bloody log flume! It's a theme park staple!

Regardless of how many people pay it, putting a £50/£60 price tag on the park suggests that it will reflect that in quality, which it doesn't.

Also, Thorpe have no way of knowing how many people are put off by the high price tag and therefore don't visit.

What possible overhaul could there be that takes all season. Smacks of poorly thought out cost cutting.

They want to reposition towards older families as well as thrillseekers? Then don't close a bloody log flume! It's a theme park staple!
I hear they're re-tracking it...

Here's my mini-review of Thorpe Park based on my visit on 4th November:

Park was dead, so everything except the "I'm a Celebrity" Maze was pretty much walk-on.

The Swarm: Excellent, well-themed and a great ride with all the near-miss elements. We forgot to go back to do it backwards though.

Stealth: Suspisciously quiet when we entered the queue-line, followed it around to find an empty operators' booth and no train on the track. Turns out it was closed, they had just forgotten to close the gate. Shame really, because that's a headline attraction.

Tidal Wave: Closed, looks a mess with all the water gone.

Nemesis Inferno: Now this one surprised me because it gets a poor reception compare to the original, yet I felt it was 95% as good as Nemesis. Were allowed to do two laps due to it being so quiet.

Colossus: Really great ride, but rough, very rough. My wife, being a lot smaller than me came off in tears from having her ears bashed around so much. The four heartline rolls in succession seems a bit lazy, but being so close to the walkways below, it's visually interesting.

Samurai: Pass the sick bucket please! I was ill for a good hour after this. Interesting to see that the ride doesn't self-park at the end of the cycle, instead relying on the assistant operator to give hand signals to the operator like he's reversing an HGV. With the Smiler incident, I was very surprised to see a ride under manual control, and thus at the mercy of human error.

Logger's Leap: Excellent log ride, one of the best I've been on. The double-drop makes it so much more exciting than the single drop of Alton's glorified bathtubs. Call me old-fashioned, but I like a log-themed log flume.

X:\No Way Out: A bit tame, but brought back a little Black Hole nostalgia.

SAW: Great ride, far more enjoyable than the Smiler. Again, great theming, the 8-seat cars really whip around the track and that drop is just incredible.

I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here Maze: 35 minute queue for this, not worth it, even though it did buy me some time to recover from the Samurai's effects.

Storm Surge: How refreshing to see these smaller-style, intimate rides, I thought modern H&S had pretty much killed these off.

Rush: Kept having technical difficulties, eventually got on to find the restraint padding held on with duct tape, and the couple sat beside us had to leave their seats and wait for the next ride because their harnesses weren't registering as locked. Harnesses did register as locked once the seats were empty. Not very reassuring, so I held on! Could do with being a bit longer, although I suspect this is limited by the holding capacity of the air tanks.

Quantum: An absolute jewel of a ride, not as tall as I was expecting but can really pack a punch. If Alton wanted to replace the Pirate ship with something having a smaller footprint, would recommend.

Vortex: Been on similar things at travelling fairs, great for turning the tummy over, yet doesn't spin too quickly so you avoid emptying your tummy.

Depth Charge: Like Storm Surge, I was very pleased to see a more traditional, intimate thrill water ride. You can really get some speed up, but I did stop just short of the end barrier. On a wet day I reckon I could make it all the way.

Detonator: Bombs Away: I almost left the park, having developed a bit of a phobia of drop-tower rides. In fact, last time I was at Drayton Manor, I skipped Apocalypse, and the thought of a launched drop-tower was even worse. However, I turned around just as I was on the bridge off the island and went back to ride. Not as fearful as I had feared, if anything, a bit more tame than the standing seats of Apocalypse.

Overall, I was very impressed with the park. It was a bit light on staff, which I suppose was due to the time of year, but then it was light on people, so almost everything was walk-on. And on the subject of walking, it is a pleasure to have everything so close together. We'd done everything we wanted to by 15:00.

Manual mode on flat rides is not the same as manual mode on coasters. Most flats are designed to be run "by hand", it's why they are always better at fairs than at a park. I agree though, that Samurai is knackered. ;)

Manual mode on flat rides is not the same as manual mode on coasters

Agreed, but I hope it still has the interlocks in place to stop riders from colliding with the floor if the stop procedure isn't done in the right order. But yes, it looked knackered, it feels kanckered, it is knackered.

Oh, don't worry, it will do. Manual mode on a flat is still "normal operating mode", they are designed that way. In fact, it's only theme parks that ever use preset programs. There will be a seperate "testing" mode with a safety interlock, so it won't shouldn't be possible for a wrong button press to lower the arm while the ride is in motion.

Interesting to hear what a first timer thinks of Thorpe Park. Although it's not my favourite park by any means, I do think that it gets unfair stick from a lot of enthusiasts.

I agree that Inferno is a very good coaster, wouldn't put it quite up there with the original but still a good coaster. Please tell me you're planning to return when Stealth re-opens?? Stealth is actually one of my favourite launch coasters. I've yet to ride any of the 400 footers in America but i would easily rate Stealth ahead of the likes of iSpeed, Rita and Desert Race.

Thorpe does get a lot of moans about over selling of fastrack so it's probably good that you did visit on a quiet day for your first visit.

Glad you enjoyed the park, do go back for Stealth though! :)

Great write up there @micksalt!

I slam the park with no holds barred when it's busy, but I genuinely enjoy my time there when it's quiet. There's nothing like it in the UK for sheer thrills per square metre!

Glad you enjoyed it on such a quiet day. Get yourself back there on an equally quiet day (fingers crossed) and buckle up for Stealth!