• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

It does depend how busy it is, but they usually take a train off Stealth at about 7-8 so they can start maintaince on it for the next day.

...on a ride where they made a big deal about getting a spare train so they'd never have to run it on 1.

Would they have space though? How many trains can the mech bay hold?

The ride was delivered with 3 trains and the maintenance shed was designed to deal with 3. The plan was that the ride would always run with 2 trains with a 3rd in maintenance.

How times have changed. I assume the 3rd train no longer ‘exists’ and has been canabilised for parts long ago?

I'm not sure, it could be a similar situation to Oblivion and Smiler where they have a rolling maintenance program spread over the whole year rather than rushing to strip down all trains over closed season.

I'm not sure, it could be a similar situation to Oblivion and Smiler where they have a rolling maintenance program spread over the whole year rather than rushing to strip down all trains over closed season.

Fair enough. :) Off topic but does Smiler not run with 4 trains now? I know it did for a period last season, is it now back down to 3?

Well the Smiler was on 4 trains when we went in April, I hope to see it on 4 trains again when I go again in a few days.

Also, I saw the 3rd stealth train stripped down in the maintenance shed back in June, so I think they still have it, but like @John said I think they do a rolling maintenance program :)

Sorry a quick question
We are hoping to go to love island lates on Friday after work probably won’t get there til about 3/4 depending on traffic, I know saw alive shuts at 6 but what time does iac close? And also I know it’s probably not possible but would we be able to get a time slot for zombie hunt or does that need to be pre booked?

Just to dispell a couple of things...

-Over the summer, many times the coasters have dropped to one train in the evening. This is based on the number of people on park at that time. If there is a significant number of people still on park, they will keep two trains on the rides.

-During Frights Nights, except maybe during the first weekend, coasters almost always run full capacity until the end of the night. This is ultimately due to the fact Fright Nights is significantly busier.

-Thorpe's max gate figure is higher than 14,000, and there have been times this year where they've gone above that. Their actual physical maximum is closer to 20k, but they will normally say the park is full at a figure lower than that, depending on ride availability, weather and many other factors.

-Stealth does indeed have 3 trains, and when the ride was being built, a Q&A session infamously said the ride would always run 2 trains as a result. The first day the ride opened, it was running 1. These days, engineers have 2 trains ready to run, and are doing a full strip down maintenance check on the third, because they simply don't have the manpower at the moment to completely service all 3 trains over winter.

Sorry a quick question
We are hoping to go to love island lates on Friday after work probably won’t get there til about 3/4 depending on traffic, I know saw alive shuts at 6 but what time does iac close? And also I know it’s probably not possible but would we be able to get a time slot for zombie hunt or does that need to be pre booked?
I can't find any info about IAC's closing time, but you would need to book Zombie Hunt online to gurantee entry as there are limited places.

Sorry to change the topic a little, but some possible fresh speculation regarding Thorpe's next coaster project has recently come out. Basically, a poster was spotted in Zombie Hunt the other day with "C.H.I.P 7706" written on it. Someone took a picture of this poster and posted it on Twitter. Thorpe Park liked this tweet, implying that it is something to do with Thorpe Park. I would link to the tweet, but it has now been removed. Then, some members over on TTSP Forum started to try and debunk the poster and find the deeper meaning. Here's what Swarm Chris has come up with in regards to the poster:
Swarm Chris on TTSP Forum said:
Some speculation from the C.H.I.P 7706 poster that was found in Zombie Hunt, which Thorpe liked before the tweet was deleted.

A lot of parks have been teasing new coasters this year through giving the vital statistics of the ride. I'm wondering (or rather speculating and making a straight line from two points) if Thorpe could be doing the same.

We have 4 letters and 4 numbers. My wild speculation is they match up:

C.H. 77
Coaster Height 77m. This just happens to be near enough 250ft, which is higher than Thorpe previously sought permission for, but is just 1m taller than Shambhala, and the exact same height as Energylandia's Hyperion.

I.P. 06
Possibly the P and the 6 form Project 6. Any new roller coaster would be the 6th large coaster in the park.

The I could either be part of the project name, so for example I(nvestment) Project 06. Or it could be the number of inversions is 0.

It's all speculation, but a 77m tall coaster with possibly no inversions, sounds a lot like that hyper we keep talking about.
I personally think that Chris could be on to something there. A 77m tall hyper, while possibly a little high for Thorpe, would tick the boxes that Thorpe's project management team outlined in the TTSP Summer Sizzler talk in July 2017, dependant on manufacturer. These boxes were:

• High reliability
  • High throughput
  • The ability to market itself
Now, a 77m tall ride would break the record for the UK's tallest coaster, which is extremely marketable if you ask me! 77m is 252.6ft, and the current record holder is the Big One at BPB at 213ft (or 235ft, if Thorpe wants to humour Blackpool's claim). So no matter what BPB claims, this ride would be taller than the Big One.

To add further fuel for speculation, another TTSP member spotted a wooden board from Nemesis Inferno's exit that said "MMXX=?". Now this in my eyes would imply that Thorpe has more to reveal about Project 2020 fairly soon, as MMXX is 2020 in roman numerals.

Very interesting... the next year and a half or so could get very exciting at Thorpe!
P.S. Here's the link to TTSP's Project 2020 thread (http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=41878&start=80), the post with the picture of the CHIP 7706 poster on it (http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=38055&start=6120#p881521) and the post with the picture of the wooden board on it (http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=38055&start=6120#p881528). I also apologise if this is unnecessary and for the long post.

I don't think Thorpe will be releasing the full details of this to the public anytime soon, but there's definitely a low-key campaign brewing, and we'll likely be clued in by a planning application before long. The park are very good, albeit very DIY, at engaging with their social media audience. I think a hyper is quite likely. The park's numbers have been stagnant for years now, with neither The Swarm or Derren Brown making a major impact. The best way forward at this stage is indeed probably a massive, statistically impressive megacoaster.

I don't think Thorpe will be releasing the full details of this to the public anytime soon, but there's definitely a low-key campaign brewing, and we'll likely be clued in by a planning application before long. The park are very good, albeit very DIY, at engaging with their social media audience. I think a hyper is quite likely. The park's numbers have been stagnant for years now, with neither The Swarm or Derren Brown making a major impact. The best way forward at this stage is indeed probably a massive, statistically impressive megacoaster.
When do you reckon we should expect a planning application? DBGT was filed for in October 2014 and Swarm was filed for in February 2011 (I think?), if that provides any sort of insight. Judging by this, I reckon we should definitely have one by the end of 2018 if a hyper is what's coming, possibly even within the next month or two. I can personally see a hyper as being a bit harder to obtain permission for than something like DBGT, so I can see an application being filed fairly soon, myself.
EDIT: I apologise to keep sourcing TTSP Forum for my speculation, but I found something else fairly interesting on there:
PsychOXRat on TTSP Forum said:
Currently on park and there are 2 employees with a sheet of paper taking pictures in and around the old town area, overheard "If it was around my taste..." which suggests a retheme could be coming here either next year or 2020 to coincide with Project 2020.
If you'd like to have a read for yourself, here's the link: http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/view...&sid=f4c2aba8d974cc52c105ff730121f075#p881605

Last edited: