• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Large number of injuries and two amputations on a world leading ride caused by incompetent management, or a no injury coaster in a kiddy park on a kiddy coaster.
Rather a massive difference.
And it pretty much made all the popular national press Ash, and the BBC news website.

That may be the case. The fact remains that the Smiler itself did nothing wrong, (other than allow itself to be over written by an engineer) while the other two shed parts they shouldn't have due to negligence.

Not trying to excuse Towers in any way, but I would rather take my chances on a ride that stalls, and E stops exactly as it should over one that almost derails.

The Smiler is perfectly safe as long as the correct procedures are followed in operations.

The GL Coaster is perfectly safe as long as the correct maintenance procedures are followed.

I fail to see the difference personally, they are both due to faults on behalf of humans at the respective parks.

Ash, the smiler cannot do anything wrong you daft tyke...it is not a sentient being, it is just a lump of metal and concrete.The malfunction was all down to human error and a failure to follow good practice.
It did not allow itself to be overridden, it cannot "allow" anything, it did everything as it should, procedures were not followed.

So going by that logic, we should never hear the world's mechanical failure again, as if you trace things back far enough all machanical faults lead to either shoddy construction (by a human) or a lack of maintenance (again by a human) am I understanding you right?

No Ash you don't.
But as a daft tyke I wouldn't expect you to.Bit like saying the accident went unreported because you didn't get round to reading the reports!
Mechanical issues happen, back up systems are in place to make sure such issues do not cause injury. Unless such systems and procedures are ignored or overridden.
Simple, even for a yorkshireman surely.
Sorry, off topic.

Firstly, I said I saw the article on the front page of the Echo, now unlike yourself I don't have the time to spend going through endless rags reading I'll informed report's on such events. I then went onto to say the coverage wasn't on the same level as that of the Smiler, which is wasn't, it's already died right down.

We first met in the season pass queue on the Beach...honest.
And shag a tyke...how dare you stoop so low Ian.

And to get things back on actual topic...
I heard, and read on a couple of sites, that the parking charge at Thorpe is not enforceable because of local planning legislation that the parking site is public amenity land from the original development of the land for recreational use by the local community.
The charge is therefore voluntary, and if you refuse to pay at the barrier they must allow you out of the site without risk of further charge.
To get around this the park have (allegedly) minimised staff at the barrier to make it more difficult to avoid payment.
Anyone shine any light on this?

Wouldn't surprise me. Our local Morrisons has Parking Eye ANPR Cameras, but a quick check with the council will reveal they never applied for planning permission for them, so none of the tickets issued are valid, not many people know this, but point it out to Parking Eye in an appeal quickly gets the ticket cancelled.

At one point a couple of years ago when someone complained that I had bypassed security checks by walking around it (the chav was loud enough I could hear her from 50 foot away), I heard someone say security checks were done on a voluntary basis anyway, just most people feel obliged to do it because they don't want to be that arsehole, presumably pointing at me lol.

When I pickup my pass there this week, I'll be sure to ask the person about this, if they lie, you can usually tell if they know what your talking about anyway from their reaction.

Thorpe Park is private property and the security checks are a condition of entry. They're voluntary in the sense that you can't be forced to undergo a search, but if you refuse to comply then they can (and probably will) simply refuse admission.

PS: has anybody seen how obnoxious their website is... look at this for a good design :rolleyes:

terms.jpg

At the time this happened (over two years ago), it wasn't a condition of entry, hence why they never stopped me.

Regarding parking, the only stuff I could find kind of hints that they were permitted to introduce the parking charge when they got permission for the hotel (or shark thing) and Merlin used people doing Heathrow parking as an excuse to control it, but that's just reading between the lines of the document on the council website.

I don't think any part of the park has ever been classed as public amenity, as @Alsty pointed out its private property, with licensed public access, much like Epson Downs, or some of the Royal Parks in London. But I'd love to be proven wrong on that.

Their website is awful, it looks great but it's utter crack, totally locks up my wife's phone, my iPad/android, only thing it works on are the lap/desktops.

Surely it's illegal to deliberately hide their T&Cs behind a graphic like that? Or at least you could have an excuse of not being legally able to agree to something that is litterally impossible to read when you have made a reasonable effort to do so?

Surely it's illegal to deliberately hide their T&Cs behind a graphic like that? Or at least you could have an excuse of not being legally able to agree to something that is litterally impossible to read when you have made a reasonable effort to do so?
It looks like it's meant to give you half a second to read until it pops up then auto dismiss/give you a tiny cross.
And they break it!

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

I like the way laughing gas is specifically mentioned yet it's the one thing you can find littered in Thorpe queue lines in abundance, I wonder how the oinks got them in? Monks Walk I guess.

Don't want to put in Trip Reports as this post is just a rant... Thorpe is awful these days. I grew up nearby and have visited on multiple occasions every year since around 1994. Mid 00's I'd be there near enough once a week in the summer.

I visited today for the first time in 3 years, to finally have a go on DBGT and try out The Walking Dead:\ No Way Out.

DGBT is a brilliantly unique experience, I loved the suprise at the end. The themeing inside is very good and the VR worked well. Walking Dead again I was impressed with - X was a joke of a ride and they've done a tremendous job of polishing that turd.

Got Saw done early before the queue got too long, I still love the indoor section but it's far rougher than I remember. Where Smiler is just a bit rattly, this is more 'jolty' and the bottom of the first drop was actually very painful.

Inferno is bang average. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing for a B&M invert, they're all fun good rides.

The Swarm. If Swarm was a work colleague it would be that bloke in IT who's really nice, but you wouldn't go for a pint with him as he's a bit boring.

Stealth's a good solid ride, and power of that launch makes it very re-ridable.

Colossus is an old favourite, and it's good to see it's still popular with other guests.

Anyway the main reason for this post is to express my disappointment at the park literally lying to all paying customers. It's a wet, windy Friday before Fright Nights, and after the school holidays, so it wasn't particularly busy.

For us coaster dorks, we can roughly guess how long the queue will take by looking at, and take no notice of the displayed queue times. They're literally conning guests into needlessly buying FastTrack by hugely exaggerating these times and it needs to stop. People fall for it and I don't blame them.

Inferno 40 mins - I waited 10
Stealth 30 mins - I waited 10
Rush 15 mins - walk on
Swarm 20 mins - walk on

Saw hit '85 mins', DGBT '100 mins'.

Fair enough if it's a few minutes out but they're not even remotely accurate. The Swarm was a walk on for at least an hour today and it stayed at 15-20 the whole time. Just put 5 mins on display ffs.

I know it's common for the Merlin parks to exaggerate queue times but Derren Brown himself must have had some sort of influence on the management as they created an impressive illusion of a busy theme park on what was a quiet day.

I don't like to be too negative, and I had a decent day getting on everything I wanted to, but they've sucked all the fun out of that place.

Alton gets slated on here but this season has been the best in years for me as a guest and all seems on the up. Thorpe is at an all time low.

Again sorry for the rant but I won't be going back.*

*Until the RMC ;)

Last edited: