• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Maybe you should take up your lack of funding with the powers that be @pluk, then maybe you'd have enough manpower to tackle these pesky timewasters instead of having to decide what you think is important or not. Sorry I forgot, you can't, it's illegal for you to protest/strike isn't it?

I know this is way OT but if your time is hard pressed now, I dread to think what it's going to be like when it's up to you to enforce the new drone regulations, if you think someone phoning you cos security won't give back their property is a waste, what you gonna say when people phone you to complain about a drone? (This is what's going to happen, the consultation said it was Police who would enforce the ANO, find and confront pilot, and issue fixed penalties etc. and general public encouraged to call 999 to report drones flying in their area).

I went on Angry Birds 4D on Saturday and before the show started they got six people from the audience to squawk into a microphone, then the audience clapped for who was the best... a complete waste of about 5 minutes that added nothing to the experience. When did they start this ridiculous practice?

I went on Angry Birds 4D on Saturday and before the show started they got six people from the audience to squawk into a microphone, then the audience clapped for who was the best... a complete waste of about 5 minutes that added nothing to the experience. When did they start this ridiculous practice?

That’s the biggest innovation in entertainment output at Thorpe Park in 15 years.

Sorry, dear readers, for continuing to derail this thread harder than Tsunami at M&D's, but I'm only responding again because, as I've said , it is vitally important that people know when it is appropriate to dial 999, and Ian's response continues to insinuate that it would be here. It is not. That is not an opinion, it is fact. Do not call 999 to try to further your possition in an argument with door staff who are giving you the option of surrendering your belongings to comply with a condition of entry, which is all that's happening here.

Maybe you should take up your lack of funding with the powers that be @pluk, then maybe you'd have enough manpower to tackle these pesky timewasters instead of having to decide what you think is important or not. Sorry I forgot, you can't, it's illegal for you to protest/strike isn't it?
/QUOTE]

It is not a case of police deciding 'what is important', like they have a choice to take criminal action to resolve a civil dispute if we felt like it, but that police have no legal power to take action in such circumstances, so shouldn't be called.
Police obviously have to act within the law to uphold the law.
The only thing police could do to intervene is arrest and remove someone to prevent a breach of the peace if a disturbance is ongoing, and if a member of the public is arguing with staff about their disagreement with being allowed entry with their belongings it is not the staff member being removed!

Yes, it is illegal for police to belong to a union or strike. Probably a good idea, unless you think 'The Purge' looks like fun. So with the police allowed very little influence on the funding of policing that point has to be turned back to you. If you think police should be giving sufficient funding to deal with non policing matters you need to take that up with your MP, because currently there's not enough to even deal with things that are a police matters.

I know this is way OT but if your time is hard pressed now, I dread to think what it's going to be like when it's up to you to enforce the new drone regulations, if you think someone phoning you cos security won't give back their property is a waste, what you gonna say when people phone you to complain about a drone? (This is what's going to happen, the consultation said it was Police who would enforce the ANO, find and confront pilot, and issue fixed penalties etc. and general public encouraged to call 999 to report drones flying in their area).

They already do. We thank them for their call, because it is a police matter, and log it for attendance at speed determined by the Threat/Harm/Risk involved in the circumstances given. Often there will be minimal risk to the wider public so more urgent matters will be attended first, sometimes (at an airport for example) it will be a critical emergency and police will arrive in moments.

To be utterly clear, in the circumstances as given security do not steal your items, but you choose to surrender items to them. That is your choice, do not call the police to discuss it. There is no dishonest appropriation of property. It is never a police matter. If you don't like the law, that is also not a police matter, but one for your MP.

yet the drink shack by the beach had 3 staff doing absolutely nothing on Saturday night.

Was actually surprised by the amount of F&B staff on shift, the place wasn’t busy but they were manned as if they were expecting 10k+

Sorry, dear readers, for continuing to derail this thread harder than Tsunami at M&D's, but I'm only responding again because, as I've said , it is vitally important that people know when it is appropriate to dial 999, and Ian's response continues to insinuate that it would be here. It is not. That is not an opinion, it is fact. Do not call 999 to try to further your possition in an argument with door staff who are giving you the option of surrendering your belongings to comply with a condition of entry, which is all that's happening here.

If you read about ihaveaspergers experience (surrender phone charger and not get it back, or no entry), you'd know this wasn't the case, and there's no way I'm surrendering belongings in return for entry, my belongings will go back to the car if not allowed in and I'll queue up again. If you think I'm a tit for having that attitude, then I guess I am.

If you read about ihaveaspergers experience (surrender phone charger and not get it back, or no entry), you'd know this wasn't the case, and there's no way I'm surrendering belongings in return for entry, my belongings will go back to the car if not allowed in and I'll queue up again. If you think I'm a tit for having that attitude, then I guess I am.

You are being given a choice and making one all by yourself that resolves the situation to the satisfaction of all parties (the same choice I would make, incidentally), kind of proving my point. As did ihaveaspergers when he had an issue and resolved it with a little bit of difficulty which was probably worth complaining to park management about.

Calling the police for help in such a situation, which was the advice you gave based on police advice on what to do in an entirely different set of circumstances, and which was the whole point of my response you seem to be missing, would make you a tit.

There are a lot of impressionable young things on here, we could all do without them thinking phoning the police for every little civil dispute is a good idea. You might just need them at the same time for a real emergency.

You are being given a choice and making one all by yourself that resolves the situation to the satisfaction of all parties (the same choice I would make, incidentally), kind of proving my point. As did ihaveaspergers when he had an issue and resolved it with a little bit of difficulty which was probably worth complaining to park management about.

Calling the police for help in such a situation, which was the advice you gave based on police advice on what to do in an entirely different set of circumstances, and which was the whole point of my response you seem to be missing, would make you a tit.

There are a lot of impressionable young things on here, we could all do without them thinking phoning the police for every little civil dispute is a good idea. You might just need them at the same time for a real emergency.
I think in the case when you have private security thinking you are bringing a bomb into the park a call to the police might just be appropriate.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

Except that's not the point, is it?

Do you really think that airport security think that everyone they take a little bottle of liquid off of is a terrorist and at some point their bin will explode? No, of course not, but they have identified that in the interests of everyone's safety that item should not be allowed. Thorpe are obviously of the opinion that someone of ill intent could use items such as this in a way they do not find acceptable, and that is up to them. So if they don't let potentially dangerous items in a level of risk is mitigated.
In stopping that item they are not saying the owner is a terrorist. That would be a huge and incorrect leap on the part of the owner. They are saying that item is prohibited, which is fine.
If they communicate that in poor way, then a complaint is fine too! :)

So, about this 999 thing.
I fully expect that the police might have told people to call 999 over this stuff, hell, they told people to call 999 if they hear an offensive word...The UK police is run by idiots at the moment. Anyway even if they told you to call 999, unless there is an imidient risk of bodily harm or extreme property damage, DO NOT CALL 999. While they may not take issue with you calling 999 over this, you will be using up a call slot that could be used by a real emergency and if there is currently no avalible slots when someone needs to call them...Then that person dies!

Instead of calling 999, you can call 101 for any non emergency, please do this!
Calling 999 for something like this, can get someone killed!!!

Now...can we please talk about theme parks again?

Wish id never mentioned it now, I just thought the advise was funny considering what happened to ihaveaspergers.

How come every row needs two people for Walking Dead (no empty seats)? I don't recall that being the case for X.

How come every row needs two people for Walking Dead (no empty seats)? I don't recall that being the case for X.

It is possible for a single rider to squeeze themselves out of the restraint mid ride, so they changed operations a couple of seasons back to enforce a rule of two per row to avoid this happening.