Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by Ted, 11th Jun 2012.

1. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    Some time in the very late 80's or early 90's, I remember getting one of those "chocolate bar selection" cardoard box christmas things. It was Alton Towers themed. On the back were a whole load of "fun facts". Including how many gallons of paint it took to repaint Corkscrew.... every year. (Or so they claimed, at least.)

JB1985 likes this.
  2. Alsty

Alsty TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Shambhala
    It does feel like the Merlin philosophy is "most people won't notice therefore it's acceptable"... it's about cutting as many corners as they can get away with in the mistaken belief that people don't see it.

Now I don't for a minute believe any of this is a safety issue, but presentations really are important and this just shows a complete lack of pride. It makes you wonder when this nonsense will end. Why do Merlin run their parks in a state of austerity when they're a cash rich business?

DiogoJ42 and Poopoohead like this.
  3. MiserableMonkey

MiserableMonkey TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    X2
    Having worked commercial painting projects a few years back, I can tell you it costs A LOT. But not so excessive that a company like Merlin can’t afford it.

Merlin only see short term gain, and painting a rollercoaster doesn’t put money back in the bank. A frustratingly idiotic way of running a business that’s all about the experience, but nothing new.

4. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

According to this tweet from Towers the Nemesis repaint (and associated work) was £120k.

So it’s not small change. But for a company the size of Merlin which turned over £1.5billion with a £400 million profit in 2017. Its hardly earth shattering.

Funcone, Skyscraper and Joel3 like this.
  5. IanSR

IanSR TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Smiler
    Yeah on that cost/profit ratio alone they could afford to paint every coaster they have and still have enough profit left that the stock market wouldn't care.

6. Funcone

Funcone TowersStreet Member

To put it another way, if Sub Terra cost £6.5 million and it costs roughly £120,000 to repaint a coaster the size of Nemesis, then for the cost of Sub Terra they could have repainted 54 Nemesis sized coasters. In fact for the cost of Sub Terra they could freshen up pretty much every ride in all of their UK parks. When you look at it like that, I'm sure there's a business case for it.

7. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    I thought Sub-Terra cost £4m?

8. delta79

delta79 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    And how do you market a coaster repaint to the general public.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

9. Stuntman707

Stuntman707 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    By taking maintenence like that which they should be doing anyway and market it as a special one off TLC project.

JB1985, delta79 and ringo like this.
  10. ringo

ringo TowersStreet Member

You do a marketing move like towers did with “TLC”, spread some positive but bury some cuts at the same time

11. Themeparksandy1981

Themeparksandy1981 TowersStreet Member

Does Nemesis Inferno still have the water effects? Also the steam in the tunnel?

Joel3 likes this.
  12. imanautie

imanautie TowersStreet Member

It still has the fog (at least it did FRIGHT NIGHTS)

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

13. imanautie

imanautie TowersStreet Member

So this is in Nick Varney's email signature.[​IMG]

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

14. Coaster

Coaster TowersStreet Member

To be fair, they're memorable for all the wrong reasons.

djtruefitt, Alsty and RoyJess like this.
  15. JB1985

JB1985 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Oblivion
    What a shocking state inferno is in.

I bet colossus and stealth are the same though. Not been to Thorpe for a while, it bores me.

You only have to look at the state of Smiler though and thirteen to see a pattern

Give wickerman a year or two and it will be the same. Saving grace is wood is meant to age and doesn’t need painting ( perhaps we will see more woodies now! )

16. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned that I'm A Celebrity has been removed from Thorpe Park's website. To me, that sounds like it's gone permanently, so... RIP I'm A Celebrity, I guess. I must admit that I'm not too surprised at this removal given the fact that the attraction operated seasonally in 2017 and 2018, but it's still sad to see the attraction leave, if you ask me.

However, parks need to develop and progress, and the (presumed) removal of IAC does beg the question; what will replace it? Well, I heard quite a good theory over on TTSP Forum. Now, I have talked about Project 2020 multiple times before on this forum, and a member on TTSP forum has said that when Thorpe have put photos online of their 2019 map being made, nothing whatsoever is shown of Old Town bar Saw and Samurai. Not even the Sticky Sisters food stand or the Burger King within the area. Now, the portion of Old Town containing Loggers and Slammer was already a ripe plot for development, if you ask me, and IAC's plot of land would add even more room for a potential future coaster, so this theory is basically saying that the plot of land stretching from the Loggers/Slammer area to where IAC is could be completely redeveloped to house a new coaster. I reckon this is quite a good theory, personally, and I reckon a coaster could be quite big if it was to use this area... what do you guys think?

The next few months could potentially be very exciting! I'll admit that the chances of this being a 2020 project are decreasing, but I still have hope; Swarm's application wasn't submitted until February 2011, so anything could happen!
    EDIT: Here's a link to the theory on TTSP: http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=41878&start=200

Skyscraper likes this.
  17. siralgenon

siralgenon TowersStreet Member

Does Thorpe really need any more thrill coasters though? A decent family coaster yes, but other than that it needs more sizeable family friendly attractions be it a dark ride or something.

Skyscraper, jon81uk and Matt N like this.
  18. Brad97

Brad97 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Montu
    I think a GCI would be a really good fit for Thorpe, they don't have a good family thrill coaster.

19. Maelstrom

Maelstrom TowersStreet Member

I think 2021 might be more likely for Thorpe’s next major coaster, with Gardaland getting the major investment in 2020. Gardaland where due this year orginally but Heide Park have ended up with the major investment, so think its highly likely Gardaland will get big investment next year.

Matt N likes this.
  20. TPC

TPC TowersStreet Member

Thorpe just needs an airtime based coaster so an rmc, wooden or hyper coaster. That's really all the park needs for thrill rides. However, a family coaster is needed now that x is now walking dead