• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Apart from kiddie only rides, I have never seen an age "restriction" imposed on a theme park ride in my life, and I'm an old git.
If an age restriction is only recommended, it isn't a restriction, it is merely advice.
Marketing flim flam pops up now and again, but such "rules" are never enforced.
Tall enough...get on with it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how it would be enforced anyway. I remember when Volcano Springs at AT Waterpark had a minimum age restriction and funnily enough, every child in there was exactly that age!

Although the hot tub ones are a safety restriction as young children under five can't regulate their body temperature as well so shouldn't be using hot tubs, if the parents are lying about the childs age then they are potentially putting their child at risk (probably a low risk though). Whereas ride age restrictions (rather than height) are about fear and scariness not physical safety.

Apart from kiddie only rides, I have never seen an age "restriction" imposed on a theme park ride in my life, and I'm an old git.
If an age restriction is only reccomended, it isn't a restriction, it is merely advice.
Marketing flim flam pops up now and again, but such "rules" are never enforced.
Tall enough...get on with it.

The big 1m coasters at Paultons have a 4+ age restriction and the ride staff will question the adult on the child's age and refuse entry if you tell them the truth. That's as close as I've seen as an enforced age limit!

I've never seen an age limit enforced at Thorpe or any Merlin park, even to scare mazes which I think there'd be a fairly solid argument for restricting by age.

The only one I have seen enforced properly was the 18+ on Space Invader in 2001. It was like getting into a intergalactic nightclub.
Why was that ride made 18+, out of interest?

I am surprised by how early school trip season begins these days, I’ll admit. I was under the impression that it never normally started until the last couple of weeks of term well into July.

In other Thorpe news. Looks like it’s set to be a “hell on earth” day at Thorpe today, they’ve posted on their socials that they are sold out today. I imagine due to the large number of school trips which must be pre booked in.
Liam Neeson Good Luck GIF

The only one I have seen enforced properly was the 18+ on Space Invader in 2001. It was like getting into a intergalactic nightclub.
Yet again Rick, you stand me corrected.
And sorry pluk, I don't do kiddie parks.
Took me decades to get on the bloody Antelope!

They seem to have really oversold today. I’m sure there will be many complaints too! Queue times of this nature are simply not acceptable, we all expect parks to be busy in this time of year but when all major coasters are registering wait times of 85-200min then there is seriously something wrong somewhere down the line. Ive had a couple visits to the park so far this year and enjoyed it but days like this must be absolutely hell.

School trip season, end of June to the middle of July.
Not acceptable,but what the hell, they should be at school!
Why is anyone surprised, been the same every year for decades hasn't it?
Our Matt reported it very well first hand a few years ago, three rides in a day is quite usual.

I understand it’s school trip season but there will also be non school trip guests on park who maybe expect a day where they can actually get a fair amount of rides done without waiting over two hours to do so. It’s just a bad look for the place and hardly going to entice the average or first time guest back. But money talk as Mr Diamond once said so eloquently.