• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

As i mentioned in the Hyperia thread, looks like i'm going to Thorpe Park today for the first time in 15 years!

1. The evening is a Merlin Employees event, has anyone been to one of these? Is it likely to be very quiet or a normal sized crowd? Will food places be open?

2. If it stops raining (which looks likely) i think i will go down for the afternoon too. Presume i will be kicked out at 5pm before the event for an hour? Is there anywhere nearby to eat (if the aforementioned food places are going to be closed)?

And any general tips i suppose? Guessing i won't need single rider for other attractions on a day like today...

The park is quite small from what i remember, more like Chessington than Alton? Don't want to exhaust myself too much, i'm past my prime. Is there a best route to take? My main draws are Hyperia and Swarm plus scouting what looks suitable for my son next year as he will (hopefully) be 1.3m at some point.
Thorpe is very small, no need to plan a route as everything is within a 5 minute or so walk.

I assume VIBES bar/kitchen in the Dome will be open though for event guests. Haven't eaten there myself but it's Aramark pub grub. Alternatively there's a Greene King pub called Twynersh a couple of minutes drive away.

Enjoy Hyperia, it's fantastic.

Really hope they get that second train on Hyperia ASAP. It's currently on an 80 minute queue on a quiet, rainy day 😑

Really? How come?

Just leaving and Hyperia is closed 🫣
Rides are open all the time, and Merlin staff can visit regularly and ride them. The scare mazes are seasonal, and therefore new/exciting. You're going to get your coaster fill, everyone else is going for Fright Nights. You'll very much be the outlier there, as someone who hasn't visited in over a decade.

Merlin employs around 7,500 people in the UK. Even if all of them turned up this evening, the park will still be drastically quieter than it normally is.

Last edited:
Rides are open all the time, and Merlin staff can visit regularly and ride them. The scare mazes are seasonal, and therefore new/exciting. You're going to get your coaster fill, everyone else is going for Fright Nights. You'll very much be the outlier there, as someone who hasn't visited in over a decade.

Merlin employs around 7,500 people in the UK. Even if all of them turned up this evening, the park will still be drastically quieter than it normally is.

Each member can bring 3 people!

Hyperia has been down for an hour and now has a 2 hour queue. But I’m here and it’s sunny! Weird being in a theme park and being lost.

Last edited:
Swarm was good if a little short. Why is that 1.4m and Mandrill 1.2? Seemed less intense if anything without the launches.
Wow. I’d never have said swarm was less intense than Mandrill - just goes to show it’s a very subjective matter! The helix at the end of swarm can be very intense on a warm day in my experience.
Swarm is still the best thing at Forpe as far as I’m concerned.

Wow. I’d never have said swarm was less intense than Mandrill - just goes to show it’s a very subjective matter! The helix at the end of swarm can be very intense on a warm day in my experience.
Swarm is still the best thing at Forpe as far as I’m concerned.

Yeah that’s definitely the most intense bit but wouldn’t say dramatically more so.

My favourite ride so far too.

I believe Swarm and Mandrill are very different wing coasters.

Swarm I'd say is intense with it's elements and forces and warrants a 1.4m height requirement (or possibly a 1.3m if Merlin was to review it).

Mandrill Mayhem whilst it has a launch, it has a single Zero G roll and is less intense with it's forces and elements.

I'd say Merlin could get away with having Mandrill at 1.2m with it's intensity.

Swarm was good if a little short. Why is that 1.4m and Mandrill 1.2? Seemed less intense if anything without the launches.
The twisted first drop and the fact that it pulls 4.5 Gs. Mandrill Mayhem pulls 3.5 Gs. I believe that Mandrill Mayhem also has a smaller track gauge (1.3m) than The Swarm, which might lead to lighter / smaller trains and seats.