• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

That's a worrying trend.

We know the pattern Merlin follow with this.

Upcharge for premium next? Other parks get similar ideas (Parking....) Gradual incremental increases through the season that are not noticeable by themselves (they think) before you know it, cost of day out at Merlin parks doubles and their profits are turning towards half a billion pounds... at which point, price increases continue.

Just an example of an ever greedier faceless corporation. I really am beginning to hope this turns round and bites them on the ass in a BIG way.

Last edited:
Really seems like you don't get as much out of a Standard MAP anymore, they are clearly trying to push people to spend more on the Premium. It really is disgusting the way they feel they can treat customers sometimes, it's certainly making me feel less inclined to hand my money over in the future.

Standard is still really good value. Could always just not visit Merlin and get a Pleasure Beach Season pass for... oh more expensive.

Standard is still really good value. Could always just not visit Merlin and get a Pleasure Beach Season pass for... oh more expensive.

I think the point has gone somewhat over your head. You are looking solely at one point, which is a big change anyway to what you're expecting as a Standard Pass holder when you buy it, even ignoring that, it's the TREND of changes that is so incredibly obvious that is concerning.

When I first joined here, I wrote a big mega-post (me, never?!) about the F&B problems and what I predicted would happen, and guess what? It happened.

Less service, less quality, higher prices are a trend not a single issue subject only relevant to one park. This is just indicative of a wider Merlin attitude and a very worrying trend.

I've never been to EP, but I am so incredibly impressed with their attitude towards their customers and overall experience in the park. Let's separate two things here: Value, and price. They are mutually exclusive. One exists in currency, the other is rooted in psychology. Value is perceived, and somethings that cost far far more are seen as much greater value.

PBB will have inherently higher costs because their buying power is significantly limited, Merlin's profits are rising astronomically which I am not against when those parks treat their customers as more than just numbers to squeeze as much from.

The balance in Merlin right now is wrong, and is heading in the wrong direction. This is only another example of it. As an enthusiast it is not something I welcome, and given their supposed position in the market I have no intention of comparisons with PBB. Comparisons with EP though? Most certainly yes! Do they stack up? Most certainly not.

Changing the subject, Thorpe Park are soon to reveal their new scare maze for Fright Nights:

Thorpe Park's Facebook Page
10612861_10152633720315867_4291844077942708518_n.jpg

Looks like the Movie Studio's theme will be returning then! Looking forward to returning to this event. I was really impressed with it last year, and thoroughly enjoyed my night :)

I would really love to go back this year, intrigued to see what the new maze will be like and hoping to see an improvement in Blair Witch, which was a little disappointing for me last year :p

I would really love to go back this year, intrigued to see what the new maze will be like and hoping to see an improvement in Blair Witch, which was a little disappointing for me last year :p

I don't remember meeting a single actor on that, it just became a short cut to Stealth on AP preview night!

I have to say though, apart from AWFUL running of the park that day/night - atrocious (4 min dispatch on Nemesis, one train etc!) the mazes showed huge promise and were really decent and quite a giggle.

Disappointed Asylum has gone, understand the move by the park but I really loved that maze.

Re: Thorpe Park

I believe RMC never intended X No Way Out to have the commonly accepted "computer virus" theme. They ran out of funds when they built it so their original proposal had to be compromised. To further complicate it, each new owner of the park has tried to apply their own interpretation of it over the years just to get people to ride it. Now the park have just given up pretending there is a point to X Now Way Out anymore, so now it is just a backwards party in the dark.

As it is, there is practically nothing pertaining to the computer virus theme, except the ":\\" in the title. Which is being used less anyway these days - it was actually removed from the entrance a few years ago.

In 2007, there was that attempted "retheme", which was really just a small refurb to replace broken light fittings and shift a few old props around. But it was at this point that a new backstory was added, in the form of a low budget queueline video telling the story of the "X supercomputer" that went out of control, like some horror story set up; nobody really paid attention to it though and it was rather unprofessionally produced. The video did not return in 2008.

The full length queueline, or preshow as it was intended to be, was abandoned years ago and most of the features removed. A very interesting article from Vekoma when they were planning the ride (I can't remember where it was posted) explained how X No Way Out was intended to be much more than just a rollercoaster. Each room you walked through had its own "challenge", which the riders would have to complete, ultimately reaching the rollercoaster as the finale. I recall the article proposed that riders spend almost an hour inside the pyramid. It's easy to see why this idea never materialised properly...

However, the preshow rooms were built obviously, including the upside-down room, UV robot room, the revolving tunnel - then called The Vortex, and the trick lifts into the station. And the 1997 park map still urges you to "face the preride challenges" in its description. The appearance of robots suggests a computer theme, but not necessarily an evil computer theme just yet.

Does anybody know when or why the full length corridor closed? I assume it is because they just started using it as a queueline rather than a preshow, and there would never be a queue long enough to fill it up so they shortened it. I know these days they are not allowed to keep large groups of people waiting in the interior queue anyway, for health and safety reasons.

I think the only original theming remaining are some robot heads suspended from the ceiling in one part of the corridor. I get the impression Thorpe Park emphasised the computer virus idea in around 2000 to market it towards its new teenage audience, but it was only even intended to be a slightly scary family thrill ride (exactly like Thirteen - packs a punch but isn't extreme). And of course the restraints were badly designed so they had to raise the height restriction to 1.4m.

My point is: X No Way Out was a mess of bad ideas and failures from the beginning. But still fun in an unusual way!

Then I want to know what was the old queue line layout like. I never had any photos of it that I've never seen before. would you like to draw the old queue line layout please? Or make up your own? it's your choice.

TheMan is ACTUALLY using his MAP?!? What is this madness?

No I'm not booked in for preview night, actually, and I have no intention of being. :p

I had considered it, but I was also considering going the day after. AP preview days are somewhat hit and miss, but it'll probably be very quiet on friday, plus there'll be more time on park, the mazes will open earlier and the preview evening appears to be a selection of rides rather than a full line up.

On the email I got it said "enjoy selected thrill rides in the dark". IT's a little vague, but I'd guess they'll have all coasters plus some flats open..

I had considered it, but I was also considering going the day after. AP preview days are somewhat hit and miss, but it'll probably be very quiet on friday, plus there'll be more time on park, the mazes will open earlier and the preview evening appears to be a selection of rides rather than a full line up.

Do you reckon the Friday is a better bet John?

Last years was ridiculous, they seem to be either quiet and a bonus, or busy and awful!