• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park: General Discussion

I’d rather know if a ride is going to be closed when I plan to visit than get there and find the ride is closed all day. If a park knows a ride will be closed on a specific day they should make an effort to inform guests in advance by putting it on their website or app, it’s good customer service and not hard to do.

Have noticed some correlation between DGBT being closed and the heatwaves. Similar situation happened in the July heatwave where DGBT was closed, then its been scheduled for closure during this weeks’ hot weather too.

Could be a coincidence though.

I was at Thorpe Park on Tuesday and the waterfalls were on then. :)

The waterfall on Rumba Rapids cannot be switched off in the same way that the Alton towers ones can.

The waterfall is actually one of the main pumps for the ride itself. The ride cannot operate without the waterfall on, hence why it didn’t get turned off following the Drayton incident. Not has it ever been off whilst the ride is in operation.

Any rumour that the Rumba waterfall was switched off, are untrue.

Why are they planning ride closures during the open season?
Becuase rides sometimes need parts replaced mid season. Rides like det need to have the cables replaced xxxx cycles. They also will have the parts ordered and ready to go once replaced. It would be silly doing it in off-season season if they can get 6 months out of them before the replacement. Great practical way of saving some money and giving the best experience possible to members of the public.

Found myself on the Northern Line today from Battersea Power Station. During the week there's typically a few people in each carriage but on a Sunday I found myself on my own for 10 minutes or so.

It got me thinking that, despite its problems, Ghost Train at Thorpe is a pretty incredible reproduction of a Tube train, for a regional park. Plus, I still maintain that the outer of the interior set is probably the coolest thing Merlin has ever built.

Great practical way of saving some money and giving the best experience possible to members of the public.

Not sure I would class closing a ride mid season as giving the best experience possible to guests.

The best experience possible would be writing off the months left on the parts and replacing them closed season, so aside from any reactive maintenance in the season, the ride can operate fully throughout the season.

Found myself on the Northern Line today from Battersea Power Station. During the week there's typically a few people in each carriage but on a Sunday I found myself on my own for 10 minutes or so.

It got me thinking that, despite its problems, Ghost Train at Thorpe is a pretty incredible reproduction of a Tube train, for a regional park. Plus, I still maintain that the outer of the interior set is probably the coolest thing Merlin has ever built.
I went on it in 2017 and was astounded by the whole thing. I think everything seemed to work. However due to this being so good I'd never risk going on it again.

Do you mean Battersea Power Station Station? For that is its name :p