• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park Plans

ThemeParkCrafter

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Th13teen
Hopefully next year I will go to Thorpe Park. I wanted to know which flat rides are the best if I dislike spinning and any tips to do with order with rides.

I don't think I will do Saw or Colossus but I will do the other coasters and water rides. Hopefully Swarm will be my first 'proper' upside down coaster as I think Air at Alton Towers is as such a half inversion because you are in the flying position.

My favourite flat ride there is Samurai, but as that is a spinny one, I would highly recommend Rush! Really great ride!

As for order of rides, start with Saw and work your way across the park that way. Most people go to The Swarm first and work the park from that side. The Swarm tends to be quite in the afternoon and the evening for this reason. :)

Probably I will do Flying Fish, Nemesis Inferno, 2016 dark ride, Stealth and then Swarm forwards in the first hour or so. Is that too much to do.

With flat rides, I was thinking of ones more like Vortex, Quantum and Rush as the main thrill rides excluding Angry Birds Land. Are those flats quite intense as I have only done family flats (excluding drop towers)?

Let's see...

Flats:
Vortex is not intense, it hardly spins at all.
Quantum is a nice dose of family friendly airtime, but nothing special.
Rush can give an amazing ride and is probably the best flat there. It's the playground swing you always dreamed of.
Samurai is probably best avoided, it's a poor shadow of it's former self, and just turns you over and over in a rather boring and unpleasant way.
Slammer is a Marmite ride, some love it, some hate it. I find it uncomfortable.
Zodiac is an Enterprise; if you've done one, you've done them all.
Mr Monkey's Banana Boat is a small, not very exciting swinging ship. If you want to swing, go on Rush.

Coasters:
Colossus will beat you unconcious. Rough, painful and vile.
Saw is a really good layout, and the indoor section at the start is worth queueing for alone. Can be slightly rough but still ridable.
Inferno is good fun, not as intense as Nemesis but still packs a nice punch on a good day.
Swarm forwards is great, with some amazing views and near misses, the first drop packs a nice punch but the rest of the layout feels a bit forceless by comparison. Backwards, it's just wrong in every way and I wouldn't recomend it.
Flying Fish is dull and not worth your time.
X is not as dire as people make it out to be. When the smoke, lights and audio work it can be a nice fun ride.

Other:
Depth Charge is never worth the climb.
The rapids are slow, boring and pointles, and rely on water jets to get you wet. if they work.
Detonator, I have never been on as I'm not a drop tower fan, but I've heard it's a reasonably good one.
Logger's Leap is was a good flume, but that's supposedly closed now. :(
Storm Surge... No. Just no.

Hope that helps. :)

Thanks for the reply. Is it best to do Storm Surge as soon as it opens because it has insane queues last time I went to Thorpe Park?

Slammer is love, Slammer is life. Best flat in a UK park I have ridden. Rush is great fun, Samurai is pretty arse, Vortex is a standard KMG Afterburner so I haven't bothered with it, Quantum has never dragged me to ride it, Zodiac = Enterprise, Detonator is meh, Mr Monkey attracts wasps.

SAW: The Ride is a fun little thing (biased as I love SAW), Ninferno is okay nothing amazing, Colossus if you brace is fine, Swarm is excellent and worth riding both ways as mrawS>Swarm imo, Fish is fun if you go expecting nothing, X I haven't done since retheme as it was such an elephant arse explosion as X:/NWO, Stealth is a pain on queues and is bettered by Rita imo.

Tidal Wave is almost waterboarding in a boat, Depth Charge is a one off climb, IMAC I enjoyed but is personal preference, Rapids are tedious, Loggers Leap is fun if open, SAW Alive is shut, 2016 is ?, Angry Birds rides bar Detonator could be torched and no one would notice.

Swarm in my estimation is the best there, slots in my list behind Grand National with Alpina Bahn, Revolution, Van Helsing's Factory, Oblivion and Rita separating it from SAW. Slammer must be in my top 10 of flat rides, but is battered by Talocan, Commander, Breakdance No.1 etc

How on smegging Earth did I forget Stealth in my list?!?
Ignore him ^ it's amazing, far better than Rita. ;)

How on smegging Earth did I forget Stealth in my list?!?
Ignore him ^ it's amazing, far better than Rita. ;)
I have done both coasters. Stealth is a lot more fun but Rita is longer. Back to topic, how long do queues tend to be in Angry Birds because I love dodgems and 4d cinemas.

I have done both coasters. Stealth is a lot more fun but Rita is longer. Back to topic, how long do queues tend to be in Angry Birds because I love dodgems and 4d cinemas.
Angry Birds 4D is a case of turning up at the right time (it usually shows at 20/30 minute intervals but they seem to show it less often on off peak). The Dodgems can gain a queue, but usually not too bad.

• Swarm: excellent ride, though feels quite short. Totally different experience backwards and I prefer it personally, but very back row is best on everything.
  • Stealth: much better than Rita IMO, and a lot more comfortable. Wouldn't wait too long for it though.
  • Collosus: take painkillers if you really want to ride but I wouldn't again
  • X: was impressed actually with this. The ride itself isn't much, but it's a visual and audio experience too.
  • Inferno: not as good as the original, but an entertaining ride nonetheless. The dry ice tunnel is good that varies it from nemesis slightly, though is a contact lense wrecker.
  • Samurai: I actually like (liked?) This ride. Completely disorientes you. always makes you feel like your about to crash into the ground or trees around you.
  • Quantum: fun ride, something to fill 5 minutes on a quiet day.
  • Zodiac: meh... standard enterprise. You won't miss out on anything by avoiding it.

Stealth, best 12 seconds at the park. Saw try and get on row 3 or 4, I find it a better ride on 3 and 4 as Billy speaks to you at the start. the Swarm, try row 7 left side (up/down the steps) as the train starts to role after the lift it feels so wrong to me.