• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park - Temporary shipping container hotel to be built - The Crashpad

DiogoJ42 said:
£120 a night is about £100 more than those ... "rooms" are worth.
So... the room is worth £20 for two people? Well, that leaves £100 of the cost to cover two days at the park for two and breakfast for two...

Even with your sarcasm the room still sounds good value to me.

Not sure if I'm sold on the idea yet...I think the idea is worse than the actual product, but going to all this trouble, they may as well have built a proper hotel. Time will tell I guess...

Then I genuinely hope you enjoy your stay should you ever decide to, Scott :) [/not sarcasm]

But personally speaking, it's not for me.

DiogoJ42 said:
Then I genuinely hope you enjoy your stay should you ever decide to, Scott :) [/not sarcasm]

Heh, I don't think it's particularly for me either - purely because the rooms are very small. However, I don't think it is fair for people to say the prices are hugely inflated when you do get quite a bit for your buck.

Equally I am a bit surprised by the reaction now that it is built. We've known for months it would look like shipping containers and have tiny rooms - but now that it actually looks like shipping containers and has tiny rooms everyone's opinions have dropped further xD

I'm not playing devil's advocate or being some kind of apologist, but just a bit bemused at how the 'thing' (as it's barely a hotel) has gotten even lower approval from the forum despite being no different from the intended product :p

A thought that could make a difference to their value: What is the price for AP holders? Just bed and breakfast but no park tickets?

For a MAP room in the middle of May - £100

Same date non MAP: £160

*For two people

Novas said:
Scott said:
For a MAP room in the middle of May - £100

Travelodge Staines, 2.2 miles away in the middle of May - £35.00. I know where I'd rather stay.

Which would make far more sense for a MAP holder. But for those needing tickets, want the convenience, don't want a parking charge and don't mind the tiny room, Crash Pad is probably a better option.

So the privilidge of staying on-park in not quite as nice rooms is worth an extra £65? :eek:

The non MAP rooms include 2 day park tickets hence why for them its slightly better value than the TL. Though your rooms will be better in the TL.

Not that i'm defending this as i think its horrid.

Just r
Scott said:
DiogoJ42 said:

Heh, I don't think it's particularly for me either - purely because the rooms are very small. However, I don't think it is fair for people to say the prices are hugely inflated when you do get quite a bit for your buck.

Equally I am a bit surprised by the reaction now that it is built. We've known for months it would look like shipping containers and have tiny rooms - but now that it actually looks like shipping containers
and has tiny rooms everyone's opinions have dropped further xD

I'm not playing devil's advocate or being some kind of apologist, but just a bit bemused at how the 'thing' (as it's barely a hotel) has gotten even lower approval from the forum despite being no different from the intended product :p

After reading this ive got to say i agree with Scott. A one day ticket for TP on the day is around £45, so to me paying £60 per person for two days in the park, an overnight stay and a breakfast is actually a reasonable price. :)

Has anyone stayed in the crash pad yet? Okay, the look is not quite up to what people "would like" but other than "Thorpe Park Customers" I don't see any reports of what it is like. Well, I have stayed there and I am within the "target age". I would rate it 3/10

The outside looks rubbish. Not much thought put into making it match the rest of the park (i.e. other buildings have explosion marks etc on them and this has no kind of theme at all). The room itself is small and a bit more room would have been nice.

Heating: The noise that came from the heating unit was so loud that I could not even talk on the phone with it on!

Wind: I was in a room facing the water and once the door was shut I could still feel the wind on the inside as the door didn't close correctly and so the room was always COLD even with the heating unit ON!

Toilet: The noise was as bad as the heating unit.

Bed: what was I laying on? I could feel the wood underneath the bed!

Internet: They say fast internet but I got less than 1 meg...

Others: I know other rooms can be noisy but it's not good when you can hear their toilet, tv and 'other' noises.

F&B: I like a good bar of choc at bed time while watching TV but don't expect that at crash pad, no food or drink in rooms unless its a bottle of water supplied by them.

Staff: They acted "too nice" as I felt like I was treated like a kid though I am 22.

Good points: well you get in the park early, you get a fast track pass and there is not much walking to get there thats it for me very poor.

EDIT: Please check your post for spelling, grammar and presentation issues before hitting post. It doesn't take much and it saves us coming along after you to tidy up your post... ~Scott

Quick reminder, if people see posts with poor SPG or any other concerns please report the post rather than posting the issue in the topic.

Mucho thanks

Edit: Please note A post above mine has been deleted which I was partly responding to.

To be fair some of the points being raised are definitely valid. I stayed at the Crash Pad during a preview (hence why I haven't given a proper review) and I can concur flushing the toilets (not to mention using the shower) does make one hell of a racket. We also had heating issues but after asking around it sounded like an issue just with our room.

But those two points aside I was quite impressed by the Crash Pad. It's basic but if you can get it at the right price perfectly functional. I found the beds to be nice and comfy, certainly no worse than many other hotels. The noise from the other rooms wasn't nearly as much as expected (except for the for mentioned toilet flushes) and the staff were really helpful which I can't see as a bad thing.

I’d say go for it if they are charging just a little bit more than the local Travelodge. You might not get anywhere near the same size room but it makes up for it with location. Sadly it sounds like they are charging a lot more than that.

Edit: As with Tim, please note that a post above mine that I refer to, by Hayden, has been deleted.

lordofswam said:
Heating: The noise that came from the heating unit was so loud that I could not even talk on the phone with it on!
Did you report it? Fairly sure your unit must've been faulty.

Definitely agree that the toilet/shower drainage system is stupidly loud, though... (for those who haven't stayed, think aeroplane toilet... no really, it's weirdly exactly the same system...)

lordofswam said:
Wind: I was in a room facing the water and once the door was shut I could still feel the wind on the inside as the door didn't close correctly and so the room was always COLD even with the heating unit ON!
Again, did you report it? You state the door didn't close correctly - clearly this is why you felt the wind (we didn't have that problem), so really you should have reported the issue.

lordofswam said:
Bed: what was I laying on? I could feel the wood underneath the bed!
Odd, the bed I was in was extremely comfortable. Although I didn't get much sleep because of other (non-Crash-Pad-blameable) issues, it was good enough to rest in.

lordofswam said:
Others: I know other rooms can be noisy but it's not good when you can hear their toilet, tv and 'other' noises.
Could definitely hear the toilet/drainage systems of other rooms (hard to miss, it was like a bloody rocket going off!), but other than that, I was impressed with how well sound-proofed the rooms were. That, or we just had quiet neighbours (very unlikely...). In fairness the door didn't seem too soundproof - after Dome kick-out, whilst everyone was still rowdy and running along the catwalks, it was definitely a little noisy, but that noise was all from outside, not adjacent rooms.

lordofswam said:
Staff: They acted "too nice" as I felt like I was treated like a kid though I am 22.
Huh? Staff were "too nice"?! Weird comment to make. When we arrived (admittedly for the very first open night, whilst the staff were all still in training), the staff were lovely - very friendly, helpful and courteous. Definitely not condescending, as you seem to imply.

----------------

I have to concur with Hayden, your post is just so negative as to ring alarm bells as to its validity. Either that, or you went with a very definite, solid and negative view of what you were going to experience, so nothing whatsoever was going to rock that.

Someone didn't have a nice experience, comes on to post, doesn't feel at ease complaining but will put it on a forum.

That is one of the most talk about things in customer service, about making sure this never happens, as it does - a lot!

Many people will not complain, and simply get back and tell everyone about it. Not saying that is the right way to get things done, but it certainly doesn't make a post fake. Neither does spelling or grammatical errors.

I don't find those things at all difficult to believe in units designed to be shifted about a lot and be temporary. I am not saying it is true, but what if that is a genuine new member, whose frustration he feels he can voice here?

Hardly been given a cordial welcome have they?

A bit more respect please would be nice from everyone, and if they do happen to be a troll, then I'd rather give the benefit of the doubt to a total muppet who no doubt knows they are a complete moron for doing it, rather than actually put off a new member from feeling they can post their opinions honestly, and in their way, as best as they may actually be able.

Come on guys.

Dave said:
Quick reminder, if people see posts with poor SPG or any other concerns please report the post rather than posting the issue in the topic.

Mucho thanks

My bad! I didn't know that I could report things like that. I apologise if I came off as rude.

I dont know what public transport is like after a club or fright night, but I fear that they may cut off the shuttle buses and point people to the hotel so that Thorpe get more money.

I actually quite like the look of the place, and the rooms look pleasant. However the place is a rip off for groups of 1 or 2.

TheMan said:
Someone didn't have a nice experience, comes on to post, doesn't feel at ease complaining but will put it on a forum.

That is one of the most talk about things in customer service, about making sure this never happens, as it does - a lot!

Many people will not complain, and simply get back and tell everyone about it. Not saying that is the right way to get things done, but it certainly doesn't make a post fake. Neither does spelling or grammatical errors.

I don't find those things at all difficult to believe in units designed to be shifted about a lot and be temporary. I am not saying it is true, but what if that is a genuine new member, whose frustration he feels he can voice here?

Hardly been given a cordial welcome have they?

A bit more respect please would be nice from everyone, and if they do happen to be a troll, then I'd rather give the benefit of the doubt to a total muppet who no doubt knows they are a complete moron for doing it, rather than actually put off a new member from feeling they can post their opinions honestly, and in their way, as best as they may actually be able.

Come on guys.
I don't see any issue in either of the posts above yours. They both take the points of one poster and counter-argue them against their own opinions of staying in the Crash Pad.

If you have an issue with posts, please report them to a team member rather than advising people how to post yourself - it is, after all, what we are here for. :)