• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park - Temporary shipping container hotel to be built - The Crashpad

Scott said:
I don't see any issue in either of the posts above yours. They both take the points of one poster and counter-argue them against their own opinions of staying in the Crash Pad.

If you have an issue with posts, please report them to a team member rather than advising people how to post yourself - it is, after all, what we are here for. :)

First bit, not entirely they don't, I have my thoughts on those posts that I wont pass comment upon.

Second point, it isn't about posts, it is a human aspect I am talking about and I think I have a right to express that as an opinion without needing to go to a moderator every time. There are basic levels of respect across all walks of life I feel can be vocalised on a personal level - I am not telling people how or what to post, or complaining about opinions etc.

The fact is a new poster now has an embarrassing bold paragraph of text under his post, and the next one yet again references the spelling and grammar to a poster with a single, solitary post.

If that had not have happened, I would not have posted beneath it.

I don't want to take this any further from topic, but I always try to be polite even when I do get stuck in, and certainly not resort to comments with regards to spelling, or grammar etc (no one here heard of dyslexia for example? Come on man) - it's really rather pointless.

In the open, it encourages thought and further consideration, to report to a mod, means it gets hidden and happens again - this I hope, will stop it or at least lead to a few more purely point based discussions.

I always do what I believe to be for the greater good, and that doesn't always please everyone. ;)

Anyway - apologies to everyone for the off-topic-nesses, but sometimes a little calm public discussion can help things in the long run.

;D

We can agree to disagree on the posts but from a team perspective they take the negative argument and offer alternative opinions based on their own experiences, that seems fine to me.

There are basic levels of respect and we do expect our members to be respectful and mindful of others when posting (see Member Expectations), we also expect members to tell us when they do not see this happening. You did actually advise people how to post - by saying that more respect would be nicer from 'everyone' and telling people to 'come on' (thus inferring they change their posting style because you have requested so rather than because somebody from the team has posted).

I edited the post in question because it had been reported, we (as a team) tend to leave notes as people do not always check PMs or casual thread readers may wonder why a post has been edited. Likewise Dave's post was to let people know why a post had been deleted. If we don't post our reasons for doing things, people start to question that there is some sort of hidden agenda going on. Equally, if anyone has issue with the way something is done - Guest Services or a quick PM to us will usually solve the issue.

Regarding SPG and presentation of posts, our Member Expectations once again state that we would like people to take a bit of care with their posts and do a quick spell check or read-through before posting, otherwise posts can be difficult to read or comprehend. We don't expect everyone to have perfect spelling or grammar, and yes I have heard of dyslexia. Members of the team are dyslexic and so are many other members of the forum - but they have no issue with just checking what has been written before posting. Likewise, if somebody sees something off with a post that is difficult to read or understand, we have the report function so things can be dealt with quickly and discreetly rather than becoming an issue like this.

The irony of this being continued twice by you, in public, in the thread is that it has stopped the issue from being discreetly dealt with by the team and has in fact made it a very obvious situation for everyone to see.

If you really do feel the need to discuss this further, then you can PM me or another team member about your query. Otherwise, you can open a thread in Guest Services to discuss this further.

Apologies for the continuation of an Off Topic discussion like this, but I felt that the matter needed to be ended officially.

As you were people :)

Ive stayed there a couple of times.

The deal when on park (£29.95 each) + annual pass discount meant we paid around £25 each which is a bargain. (although im not sure if we was meant to get annual pass discount on top of this deal?!)

The rooms are obviously small, but are a decent quality i thought, i found the beds to be very comfortable and the rooms nice and warm. Didnt find the air con any more noisy than a standard unit so the poster above must of had a problem.

Nice to see them being sold out a fair bit too, hopefully if they continue to do so we will see the other 60 rooms installed an finally the full hotel :)

I stayed in the Crash Pads on the second day of opening, and although Thorpe park is my favourite theme park (hence my name) i can honestly say this post isnt going to be biased at all.

First thing was checking in: the staff were very friendly and apart from a small delay, dealt with everyone fairly quickly. We were then shown to our room by a member of staff who again were very friendly and helpful

The room itself was small but there was enough room to move around. There was complimentary water and toiletries available which was nice.

The heating/air con made a slight noise but was barely noticeable. The room itself was very warm (we turned the heating off completely during the night). The toilet did make quite a noise when it was flushed but you do not flush the toilet constantly and it only made a noise for about ten seconds. Personally i couldnt hear anything from other rooms at all whilst i was in the room and the crash pads were sold out that day.

The wifi was fast and worked perfectly fine. Everything else worked perfectly.

There was plenty of storage space and the room wasnt too small, but it was a manageble size. People have been moaning saying they are too small but you have to remember what they are. There not a luxury hotel they are a "crash pad". Your not going to spend a lot of time in them they are purely a place to sleep or "crash" of a night.

During the evening we were in the dome where we enjoyed something to eat at bar 360 which was followed by some evening entertainment. There was a band who were very good and a bingo game in which you could win prizes. I won four fastrack passes to the back of the swarm the next day :D. we returned to our room at 11:00pm.

The beds were very comfortable and i slept like a log. I can honestly say the bed was more comfortable than my own at home!

Breakfast the next morning was continental and a self service setup. It did get a bit crowded at times but not too bad. Also The Swarm and Flying Fish were open to crash pad guests half an hour before the park opened which was nice. (I went on the swarm three times in a row ;D) and checkout was quick and simple.

You do not spend a lot of time in the crash pads themselves but the time you do spend in them is great. they are warm, quiet and there is enough room to move about without being squashed. Its also nice to have somewhere private to get changed if you decide to go on tidalwave ;). Admittedly they do not look great but personally as long as the room is clean, tidy and comfortable that doesnt bother me. I was looking forward to staying in the crash pads since i heard of the being built and ive got to say, i was not dissapointed at all :)

Surely, with it being a theme park, what they look like is arguably the most important thing?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I would agree with the theming of rides/restaurants or themed areas, but they are not in an area of the park where you will constantly see them. Yes you'll catch a quick glimpse as you park up or cross the bridge but not a lot after that. If you are not staying in them you dont have to go near them or look at them. I understand where your coming from but they are just somewhere to sleep. A theme is arguably the most important thing for a "theme" park but for somewhere to sleep? Surely it is much more important for them to be comfortable, clean and warm rather than have a good theme.

I'm glad Europa Park and the like don't take that attitude with their budget accommodation (Camp Resort).

:p

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I'm staying there next week (Weds/Thurs) so I'll come back and write up what I think having experienced it. But to be honest, I'm not especially fussy about this stuff as long as I have a safe bed for the night. I'm more going to check out the park since I've never been (it's far, we don't drive, trains cost a bomb usually) so as interested as I am to see what the CrashPad is like, I might just be too tired to care. Plus, for £26 I'm not expecting the ritz.

I have now stayed at the CrashPad and I thought it was suitable for its job. The staff were really friendly and helpful. It is a bit noisy in the morning when people are waking up, showering etc (the drainage system sounds like a train coming through lol!). I was grateful for that in the end though because the bed was so comfortable I would've slept through and missed breakfast. It was a nice, neat, clean little space to leave your stuff and come back to at the end of the day. There was only me and my fella so it was just right for us - I can imagine it wouldn't be as comfortable with four people in one :/

I'm sorry but the fact it is clean, comfortable and "does the job" is simply not good enough. You expect this anyway wherever you go, but at a theme park there should be at least some attempt to make it that bit extra special through theming and landscaping. Especially for the prices they are charging.

I think what we do forget, is simply the fact that they're Temporary.

I can completely understand all angles though, The fact that it's a Theme Park lies heavily, with a Resort Hotel, you expect a certain standard of uniqueness, reliability and comfort, Theming certainly sways the boat for me as well as others.

However, I honestly believe this is just a toe in the water to understand whether there is a market for hotels at Thorpe, As many of us know, T5 Travelodge is just down the road, as well as many other hotels being in the near vicinity.
As such Thorpe need to tread carefully and understand the market they're going into, Crashpads offer this quick and easy solution to work out if the Consumer would be interested in this.

I do understand and know that the other parks in the area (Chessington, Legoland) have hotels and they do very good business, but with Thorpe being very new to this, it's a guarantee that they need to sell.

I believe I read or saw somewhere there were plans in the pipeline for a more permanent resort hotel for Thorpe.

We also need to look at Thorpe and understand what Theme they could even go towards. The park is one of the least themed merlin parks in the country, if not 'THE' worst themed, they have no unique IP's or at least Character based IP's and as such it couldn't be anything like Alton Towers Hotel, Unless they were to move towards a similar style as Splash Landings.

So personally I can imagine Thorpe still edging towards an unthemed Travelodge-esque accommodation.

On another note, I visited Thorpe the other week and they really are an eyesore.

(I apologize for how unstructured this is)

CoasterCrazyChris said:
I'm sorry but the fact it is clean, comfortable and "does the job" is simply not good enough. You expect this anyway wherever you go, but at a theme park there should be at least some attempt to make it that bit extra special through theming and landscaping. Especially for the prices they are charging.

£29.99 on the day per person for bed and breackfast (less if you have an annual pass) is IMO a bargain.

I guess at the end of the day thorpe needed a hotel quickly and this was the only answer. The place is selling out and feedback seems to be good so overall its a good move.

But I only paid £26 for me AND my boyfriend overnight with breakfast. Which is actually a hell of a lot cheaper than if we'd of had to stay somewhere else. In fact, we wouldn't have even visited the park if these little rooms weren't available. The park is not reasonably accessible to a lot of the country tbh, so having somewhere warm, clean, comfortable and exceptionally priced to just sleep in for a couple of hours between the two days on the park is plenty satisfactory IMO. We've paid ridiculous prices for the AT hotel JUST to sleep in for one night. As far as temporary, "does the job" accomodation goes I think Thorpe have not done a terrible job, it's certainly better than some hostels I've crashed at in my time. The clue is in the title really? "Crash" pad. It doesn't advertise itself as a hotel or put any shiny special spin on it because it really is just a decent, cheap solution for those of us who don't have the luxury of visiting far-away parks otherwise.

gosling said:
But I only paid £26 for me AND my boyfriend overnight with breakfast.

NOW we are talking.

I was under the impression it was £30 B&B PER PERSON, which would work out at £120 for a room (sorry, box) for four adults. Which is just ridiculous.

But £26.....for two people? Yes, that is cheap. I am now actually tempted by this Crashpad.

:)

I booked through the website about a month ago(ish) and there was only two of us staying. I've no idea what the "usual" pricing is/is supposedly but we definitely thought the price we got was excellent.

I wouldn't pay more than £40 I don't think. I also wouldn't share a room with three other people because I can't see how it'd be practical. The rooms are just right for two people.

I stayed in the crash pad with four people and although there wasnt a lot of room there was enough to move around. Plus you do not spend a lot of time in there in the evenings as there is entertainment in the dome. Thought they were brilliant

The entertainment wast too bad. When i stayed there was a live band and there was also a game played called rocksta bingo. If you get involved its good and i won fastrack tickets for the next day :) there was also other games around such as table tennis and giant jenga. Plus the arcade stayed open. I think if your willing to get involved with the games then its very good.

Yeah we had rockstar bingo too! And a Thorpe Park trivia quiz. I also almost took the bf's eye out playing a really competitive game on the ping pong table.

Ping pong? Giant Jenga? Bingo? Second to Disney you say? Sounds like "rainy day" in primary school assembly hall to me!! ::)